C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

side pipes

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 03:07 AM
djlangford
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default side pipes

I've got the head off my '74 454 right now, only for 1 week while at the shop. Maybe now I can pass these Gosh Darn (whish I could use stronger adjective) Nevada emission laws.

Things don't look too bad inside the engine ( :confused: I actually wished there was something really obvious for me to fix, now its just good maintenance on an engine with 125k miles on it. No out of round cylnders, no leaking, broken rings, no burnt valves or pistons. Just minor carbon buildup, consistent with a rich mixture (which it probably has, as it was built in CA, lived in OK, and now runs in NV, at 2,500 feet, so it needs to be leaned out))

Anyway, long story short, while I'm in there, I might as well change out the stock exhaust manifold and tailpipe for headers and side pipes, always dreamed of that.

I'm looking for suggestions. I like big, throaty sound. My '98 TransAm has Borla cat-back, with no restrictor plates, and a drilled cat, I think it sounds great!

Anyone have suggestions? Particularly dealers that have online sites, I travel a lot, and am a tried and true Internet Geek, so Email and online is the ony way for me.

Thanks,
David
Old 12-17-2001, 04:49 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: side pipes (djlangford)

If you click on my web site, you can hear mine with the JCL spiral inserts. These are the best inserts I have found after extensive searching with regard to both noise control and minimal horsepower loss. I am very pleased with them! I now need to make a new recording of the engine above 5000 rpm!
http://blue69l88.homestead.com/l88.html

Chuck

Quick Reply: side pipes