C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under Carpet Heat Barrier

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 10:39 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Under Carpet Heat Barrier

Before installing new carpet I was thinking about a heat shield. Is there a makeshift alternative or should I just go with the Eckler's ect. version. Thanks in advance.
L8TER, Paul.
Old 12-16-2001, 10:47 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Under Carpet Heat Barrier (Vettesic)

This question has come up a few times in the past and many have said the stuff you buy at Home Depot worked well as an alternative to the expensive stuff the Corvette catalogs sell and is much cheaper.
I have no personal experience yet as my interior is completely gutted.
I'm sure you will receive several more responses,
Good luck with the project and let us know how you make out.
Old 12-16-2001, 10:52 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a foil backed insulation I bought at a local goodguys show. It was easy to cut with kitchen type shears and since I bought two rolls there was more than enough to cover EVERYTHING. I think the pre-cut ecklers deal leaves quite a bit of area uncovered, and costs more. The two rolls cost $20 each if I recall. Covering everything made a big difference. I usd 3M spray adhesive. Piece of cake...
Old 12-16-2001, 11:14 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Under Carpet Heat Barrier (71roadster)

Absolutely, DO NOT buy the kits from corvette supply companies! They give totally inadequate coverage. Buy a roll and cut it yourself.

I drove my vette with nothing but the driver seat and the kit from mid america in the car and I felt so much heat it was unbelieavble. I then bought a roll of insulation and installed it, almost no heat transmission!!
Old 12-16-2001, 11:27 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Under Carpet Heat Barrier (ksbunting)

Anybody know if the stuff sold at Home Depot or Lowe's has a foil backing?
Old 12-16-2001, 11:50 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Under Carpet Heat Barrier (Chris81)

I just did this. I used a product called REFLECTIX that I bought at the local ACE hardware. Its foil on both sides with plastic "bubble" insulation in the center and it's about 3/16" thick. A roll costs $35.00 and will do all of it with some to spare. Advantages (for me) were ease of cutting and install, and light weight. Drawback is that it can be crushed in such areas as the heel pad from my feet, although I haven't seen this yet. I covered every inch I could get to and it cut the heat down so much, I had to hook up the heater core! My car weighs 3160 pounds with the spare, without the A/C compressor, and a half tank of fuel, and I want to keep the weight down, so this was the way to go for me. By the way, it also cut the noise down as well and is waterproof (in case it springs a leak!). Very happy with the results.

Hans
Old 12-16-2001, 11:58 PM
Garson
Racer

I went to my local interior shop and purchases a few yards of the foil back barrier that they use. It cost me about 25 dollars. It worked great and a lot less money.....

garson
Old 12-17-2001, 09:45 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Default Re: Under Carpet Heat Barrier (Garson)

OK Guys,
I can't seem to find this stuff in Home Depo. I'll go again and ask someone in that dept. I'll also check out the stuff in Ace Hardware. The full kit that sells in Eckler's is $150.00 :crazy: Keep ya'll posted. L8TER, Paul

[Modified by Vettesic, 7:46 AM 12/17/2001]
Old 12-17-2001, 09:48 AM
shawn_cake
Racer

http://www.low-e.com/

Try this stuff - I use it on my 1980 - it has a 532 CID stroker with big headers - and it makes a ton of heat. This stuff saved my feet from broiling!
Old 12-17-2001, 09:58 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Default Re: Under Carpet Heat Barrier (shawn_cake)

Thanks Shawn, I'll check it out. Now that's a BIG sig. pic. :) L8TER, Paul.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:02 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Paul
Go to my website in my signature and look at the article on insulating the cockpit. I used a product from Jeg's/Summit called "The Super Insulator". The article should give you a full rundown on what's needed. Good Luck.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:47 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Under Carpet Heat Barrier (vettfixr)

The roll of foil-backed insulation is sold as a water heater blanket at Home Depot for $20. I also used this for my underhood blanket.
Old 12-17-2001, 02:08 PM
Garys '68
Racer

I bought a roll at Lowes this weekend in the insulation section. 2' X 25' for $24. Also pick up some foil tape for the seams and some 3M spray adhesive. Should be enough to do the car twice for under $40.
Gary
Old 12-17-2001, 04:14 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: Under Carpet Heat Barrier (Garys '68)

You know I have to just sit back and laugh my a__ off reading some of these posts and this one is no exception. You ever feel like your completely alone and no one else understands your troubles. Then you come upon a web site like this and Bam! your home. I drove my vette around for over 2 years with no carpet, heat sheilding, padding etc on the driver side. I have melted sneakers and deformed toenails to prove it :lol: As for what I used, I had heard about the stuff at home depot, but I bought a set pre cut for my vehicle just like Ecklers sells for $60 bucks off Ebay. It worked like a charm, now if I could just replace my ugly toes :cry

[Modified by Warp70, 3:15 PM 12/17/2001]
Old 12-17-2001, 05:50 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Default Re: Under Carpet Heat Barrier (Warp70)

Vettfixer.....Thanks for inviting me to your website, I'll check that Jeggs prodect out. I just gat their catalog.

Feedvall......No wonder why I couldn't find the stuff in HD, I was lookin in the building dept. Never thought about plumbing insulation

Ganys68.......I'll add Lowes to the list. Thanks!

Warp70.......I know exactly what you're talkin about! Thats why we all take our corvette problems to this forum. You guys have helped me solve more problem from body work to mechanical. If ya like to work on your own vette, not to mention the $$ saved, this is definatly the place. Too bad we can't all get together and have one big party :cheers: L8TER, Paul.
Old 12-17-2001, 06:10 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: Under Carpet Heat Barrier (shawn_cake)

http://www.low-e.com/

Try this stuff - I use it on my 1980 - it has a 532 CID stroker with big headers - and it makes a ton of heat. This stuff saved my feet from broiling!
Now that pic is just too small :eek: ....Who made that hood?? WOW
Old 12-17-2001, 09:07 PM
dlw
Racer

EZ COOL. 4x10 sheet. 30bucks. used by nascar. (717) 624-3581. Easy to work with 1/8th inch thick foil on both sides. shipped to me in 2 days.

Feet used to be :mad

Feet now :D

Get notified of new replies

To Under Carpet Heat Barrier

Quick Reply: Under Carpet Heat Barrier