C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing arm bushing help? Noise!!!!!!

Old 12-16-2001, 05:02 PM
Xracer
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailing arm bushing help? Noise!!!!!!

I just had Bairs rebuild my t-arms and had them put poly bushings in the front of the arm against their wishes. I just put the first one in the car with new shims/ bolts and it squeaks pretty badly when I move it up and down by hand. I took it all apart and re-greased them and they still squeak. I am just going to drive the car as a cruiser and mainly on nice rides in the country. No fast cornering or racing. Am I being over engineered by trying to use poly vs. rubber for these bushings. I plan on using poly for the strut rods and spring mounts. Should I change them now or will this go away?

Joe
Old 12-16-2001, 05:10 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Trailing arm bushing help? Noise!!!!!! (Xracer)

With the advent of so called new and improved poly bushings the promise is that they are self lubricating and do no squeek. In the real world most people will tell you that although poly has the advantage of wearing longer, and providing enhanced stability in your suspension, rubber will always provide a better ride without the noise. It all comes down to choices. There is no free lunch and the goals for your car will dictate your choices. I am a freak and went all poly all the time. However, with side exhaust I wont be able to hear the squeeks :lol:
Old 12-16-2001, 05:12 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Trailing arm bushing help? Noise!!!!!! (ScubaJKD)

i got mine from VB.... they do not squeak...

and i didnt lube em up or anything either..

i didnt even have to remove the trailing arm from the car....!!!!

just slid it out enough to put the new bushings on!!!

of course i had to cut the old frozen bolts off with an oxy -acetylene torch...

:lol: :lol:

Old 12-16-2001, 05:26 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Trailing arm bushing help? Noise!!!!!! (Xracer)

Joe, My polys front and rear squeak. The only time I really notice it is when I'm going really slow, once up to speed it's not the bushing I hear. Rod
Old 12-16-2001, 05:53 PM
Xracer
Safety Car

Default Re: Trailing arm bushing help? Noise!!!!!! (Red73)

Joe, My polys front and rear squeak. The only time I really notice it is when I'm going really slow, once up to speed it's not the bushing I hear. Rod
Rod,

I think that I got this beat. I was not lubing up the inside diameter of the bushing were the sleeve goes threw. When I did this to the bushing and did a test on the bench it seems to kill all of the noise. We will see if it holds true once they are in the car. If anyone needs help putting their t-arms back in I am getting really good at it.

Joe

[Modified by Xracer, 4:55 PM 12/16/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing arm bushing help? Noise!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailing arm bushing help? Noise!!!!!!