C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Dymag Gen 2's Available - Pricing Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:24 PM
jhelms
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dymag Gen 2's Available - Pricing Question

A buddy of mine just sold his pristine C4 ZR1 and has a set of Dymag Gen 2's that he wants to sell, problem is we have no idea how to come up with a good asking price for them as they rarely hit the market.

EDIT - just went and measured these they are TWELVE inches in the front and FOURTEEN rear, 57 high res pics uploading now at http://www.johntookmypicture.com/gal...91603922_rCymN

Front 17x12's w/ 315/35ZR17's Michelin XGTZ
Rear 17x14's w/ 335/35ZR17's Michelin XGTZ

A couple of pics...

Prices are all over the place when I search online, from people 'stealing' sets for $2500 to people paying $4k to $6k and considering those 'deals'.

I'm thinking the 12" and 14" width combo makes this rare set even rarer, what do you think?

Aaron at SGC can attest to the 'as new' condition of these wheels, and we'll be posting up more pics and an official for sale thread soon... thanks for any input!

Last edited by jhelms; 05-07-2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: measured wheels and correct widths are 12" front and 14" rear
Old 05-05-2008, 04:29 PM
lgaff
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Winner

Default Get ahold of Digital disaster he wants these bad

PM sent
Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Digital Disaster
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I would have been extremely interested if they were standard Vette backspacing and 9.5 & 11" widths.

I don't have any idea what they're worth, but in those sizes they have got to be ultra rare and worth big $$$$
Old 05-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Well im asking how much will this hurt me? Also does this come with the tires? GC
Old 05-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The 4 to 6K jobs are for First Gen Dymags. These are a Second Gen design, a set of these went for 1900.00 a month or so ago, still new in the box and had never been mounted. DRM and MAD used to sell these back in the day. BUT the ones for sale a while back were not in these sizes...

Anyhow I am very interested in these wheels as well. Come up with a price and let me know. Also could you possibly send me some more pictures of them? Possibly off the car?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
Old 05-05-2008, 10:35 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel_Mc
The 4 to 6K jobs are for First Gen Dymags. These are a Second Gen design, a set of these went for 1900.00 a month or so ago, still new in the box and had never been mounted. DRM and MAD used to sell these back in the day. BUT the ones for sale a while back were not in these sizes...

Anyhow I am very interested in these wheels as well. Come up with a price and let me know. Also could you possibly send me some more pictures of them? Possibly off the car?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
That is interesting. The 2nd generation cost more than that when they were new and available, especially in the ZR-1 widths. The 9" sold for $795.00 each, while the 11" were $ 895.00 each, and that was back in 92-94. Center caps and lugs were not included, nor were the spacers and extra long studs, required for proper ZR-1 fitment in the rear.

One would think they might be worth more now.

Sorry to differ but you might have that backwards.

I happen to know of a set of near perfect 2nd generation from DRM that are still tucked away safely as the $ 4500.00 offered was just a little light.

I know of two sets that sold for more than $ 3,000.00 and that was over 3 years ago.

If the ones for $1900.00 were in good original finish and condition, then I suspect someone got a real deal.

Dymag continues to INSIST when contacted, that only they can re-fiinish these wheels without risk to their integrity, although high quality repair facilities in the US assert they can as well, as they are magnesium after all.

Last summer at Carlisle there was a set of painted ones from a race car that were pretty beat but serviceable, and they were in the teens.

A very unique wheel, that is simply getting harder and harder to find!

Both Callaway and Rippie offered Dymags as options, back when they modified the cars.

Dymag is a more well known, as a high end manufacturer, in motorcycle and exotic circles, particularly overseas.

They often did OEM deals for exotic tuners, and still do.

Hope this sheds some light, and also confrims someone got a VERY GOOD deal!!!

Congrats!

Marty
1FUNZR1
The following users liked this post:
prez1967 (09-10-2020)
Old 05-05-2008, 11:10 PM
lgaff
Drifting

Hmmm......I paid $400 for mine.

LGAFF
92 ZR1
Old 05-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by lgaff

LGAFF
92 ZR1

Was a gun and mask involved ?
Old 05-05-2008, 11:13 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

LGAFF
92 ZR1
Then you did QUITE WELL!

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 05-05-2008, 11:30 PM
lgaff
Drifting

Actually, I wasn't sure what exactly they were, thought they might be, offered the guy $1K and he said no thats too much how about $400.00.

DONE!
LGAFF
92 ZR1
Old 05-05-2008, 11:42 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Actually, I wasn't sure what exactly they were, thought they might be, offered the guy $1K and he said no thats too much how about $400.00.

DONE!
LGAFF
92 ZR1
Wasn't he the same gent that sold some old painting of a girl named Mona something, for $ 1000.00!

You my friend got the proverbial "deal"!

( although I must say Goldcylon's mask and gun comment was a thought that ran through my mind )

Mental note to self: Make sure wife and son know how much all of my "parts" aka basement junk, are really worth in the event of my demise.

Again, you did VERY well! As said, a single wheel sold for double that when new!

Put locks on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 05-06-2008, 12:39 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Prices are all over the place when I search online, from people 'stealing' sets for $2500 to people paying $4k to $6k and considering those 'deals'.

I think its wishful thinking 4-6K. They don't even say Callaway.

Don't get me wrong but I wouldn't pay more then $2,500. I almost bought a set years ago but at the time was having fitment issues with my 6 piston calipers.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:10 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,111 Likes on 1,079 Posts

Originally Posted by jhelms
A buddy of mine just sold his pristine C4 ZR1 and has a set of Dymag Gen 2's that he wants to sell, problem is we have no idea how to come up with a good asking price for them as they rarely hit the market.

While I am sure they are nice wheels, they just not the same as the "other" Dymags. I know a thing or two about used Dymags for Corvettes and have never seen a set of those wheels sell for the prices you suggest you found. Not trying to slam your wheels, just being realistic with what I know/have seen.

If someone paid you $2,000 for the set with tires, consider that a great deal on your end. Even better, if you don't have to ship them.

...a couple hundred bucks a pc. is the norm, if they need to be refinished.

I hope this helps...
Old 05-06-2008, 11:23 AM
jhelms
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
That is interesting. The 2nd generation cost more than that when they were new and available, especially in the ZR-1 widths. The 9" sold for $795.00 each, while the 11" were $ 895.00 each, and that was back in 92-94. Center caps and lugs were not included, nor were the spacers and extra long studs, required for proper ZR-1 fitment in the rear.

One would think they might be worth more now.

Sorry to differ but you might have that backwards.

I happen to know of a set of near perfect 2nd generation from DRM that are still tucked away safely as the $ 4500.00 offered was just a little light.

I know of two sets that sold for more than $ 3,000.00 and that was over 3 years ago.

If the ones for $1900.00 were in good original finish and condition, then I suspect someone got a real deal.

Dymag continues to INSIST when contacted, that only they can re-fiinish these wheels without risk to their integrity, although high quality repair facilities in the US assert they can as well, as they are magnesium after all.

Last summer at Carlisle there was a set of painted ones from a race car that were pretty beat but serviceable, and they were in the teens.

A very unique wheel, that is simply getting harder and harder to find!

Both Callaway and Rippie offered Dymags as options, back when they modified the cars.

Dymag is a more well known, as a high end manufacturer, in motorcycle and exotic circles, particularly overseas.

They often did OEM deals for exotic tuners, and still do.

Hope this sheds some light, and also confrims someone got a VERY GOOD deal!!!

Congrats!

Marty
1FUNZR1
Good info, Marty - that lines up with what we had heard as well... I contacted Dymag and they said although of course these are no longer made a similar replacement set in those sizes would be around $6,000.

These are in premium condition, no refinishing needed - and will be sold with the tires mounted. We will get tons of detailed pictures up this week.

Keep the feedback coming, it's definitely interesting...
Old 05-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Were these custom made for the ZR-1? Are spacers used?

Like Chris said, at least from what I've seen, only the "1st gen" wheels, and then specifically with the "Callaway" stamp vs the "Corvette" stamp seem to bring the $4-6k money. In those cases it's because it keeps/makes the car "original".

The rest of the Dymags, while absolutely cool wheels, don't have the same value proposition. They are a nice light wheel that looks cool. But there are plenty of forged aluminum wheels that do the same, can be had in whatever size you want, etc.

If they were made for the ZR-1, though, and fit without spacers, certainly count me in as "interested" in them.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:06 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by *89x2*
While I am sure they are nice wheels, they just not the same as the "other" Dymags. I know a thing or two about used Dymags for Corvettes and have never seen a set of those wheels sell for the prices you suggest you found. Not trying to slam your wheels, just being realistic with what I know/have seen.

If someone paid you $2,000 for the set with tires, consider that a great deal on your end. Even better, if you don't have to ship them.

...a couple hundred bucks a pc. is the norm, if they need to be refinished.

I hope this helps...
If actual 2nd generation Dymags are avialable for " a couple of hundred bucks each", even ones that require re-finishing, that would be the start of one hell of a money making operation. That plenum paint operation in the other post could be in for a windfall.

I do not know why one would suspect that " other " Dymags are worth a fortune and these ( 2nd gen ) are not, but the facts do not seem to support such statements. I have seen 2 "nice" 2nd generation sets sell for $ 3,000.00.
Nice, not anywhere near perfect!

While the older series were more common, particularly on early Callaway cars, that has not made them more costly than the 2nd gen. There were far more of them made, yes, but I do not know how their current value has faired.

I will not speak to other than the 2nd gen wheels, but if you want an original set of them, in perfect condition, you had better be prepared to spend quite a bit more!
$2,000.00 won't get you a set of very good used Fikse's, let alone Dymags, and that is wheels only.

NOS ZR-1 wheels go for more than that!

While some may sell them for far less, possibly because they do not know what they have, that does not change what they are actually worth.

It's like buying something at a garage sale for a few dollars, and then finding out it is worth plenty because of it's rarity or desirability. Happens every day!

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 05-06-2008, 01:26 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,111 Likes on 1,079 Posts

Marty, you are right, what do I know about Dymags...

Considering I have bought (and sold, or brokered the sale) of many sets, I clearly know nothing... The last set of lightweight Dymags in a ZR1 width) You know, the Challenge ones, not the ones pic'd above, I sold for $4,000 with tires. Granted, used tires don't really factor much and make it hard to sell if you have to ship, but it was local, so it did not matter...

Now, for the "Gen II" Dy's, every time I hear of a set selling, they are a "steal" and the owner is glad to have paid a song.

Last Gen II wheel I put my hands on, was a NEW wheel (single) and the asking price was $250.00 for it. Someone on this very board, bought it and then looked to sell their complete set for a bit more

If you want a money making venture, go for it. If you have the time Be forewarned, they do not draw the coin of the Challenge Dymags. Callaway Dymags are in a whole different category and the last set of those I know sold, sold for more than ANY other set I have ever seen listed. The guy wanted them.

Again, what do I know...

Get notified of new replies

To Dymag Gen 2's Available - Pricing Question

Old 05-06-2008, 02:10 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Aurora40
Were these custom made for the ZR-1? Are spacers used?

Like Chris said, at least from what I've seen, only the "1st gen" wheels, and then specifically with the "Callaway" stamp vs the "Corvette" stamp seem to bring the $4-6k money. In those cases it's because it keeps/makes the car "original".

The rest of the Dymags, while absolutely cool wheels, don't have the same value proposition. They are a nice light wheel that looks cool. But there are plenty of forged aluminum wheels that do the same, can be had in whatever size you want, etc.

If they were made for the ZR-1, though, and fit without spacers, certainly count me in as "interested" in them.
While Callaway is certainly VERY meaningful to us, it is not his name alone that makes the Dymag wheels valuable. He and other tuners used them as they knew the quality and reputation of those wheels, particularly on specialty and race cars in europe.
Take a cruise through the Dymag website, and it will give you a better feel for the many tuners and race teams that have used them over the years.

Dymags are found on many an exotic car, that cost a far bit more than our treasured Corvettes. Timex and Seiko make nice watches, but that does not mean they are worth what a Rolex is, simply because they look good and tell time. Dymags are also magnesium not aluminum, and their value was more of a race wheel that could withstand competitive use, rather than for looks. I imagine that is why the tuners preferred them as well, as they were preparing high performance cars, not show cars.

The 2nd gen wheels were also used by Callaway and DRM. You are right when you say some of the value is they are "original" to the conversion done by the tuner. The 2nd gen wheels were part of the conversion done in early 94 by DRM on my car. The same holds true for both the 1st and the 2nd gen wheels. Part of the suspension package designed and offered by DRM consisted of the Dymags. That is the same suspension package that was included in his conversions, but the wheels were an extra cost option. I am unsure if Callaway used the Rippie designed suspension package, ( with or without wheels ), or sourced his own, I'll leave that one for the Callaway crowd to answer. Remember back then Callaway and Rippie worked together on certain projects as I recall.

No Dymag was manufactured specifically for a ZR-1.

The 11 inch wheels used on ALL Corvette applications requires no spacer for a regular C-4 including the GS. All ZR-1's require the spacer for the rear that is ( was ) offered by DRM. This also required the longer wheel studs. The spacer had the proper machining to fit over the hub, and not only provided the added clearance for the brake package, but also maintained the proper offset. Note there is no "deep dish " version for the ZR-1.

That is how DRM designed the package, I do not know if Callaway used the spacer or not on his ZR-1 package, but it might have been needed, for brake clearance on both the non & ZR-1 cars.

Dymag only sold wheels in OEM packages to tuners and the like. You and I could not call and order them directly from Dymag. It would be interesting to find out who commissioned the 1st gen and the 2nd gen wheels. They are obviously Corvette specific, and were offered by DRM, Callaway, and also Mid America near the end. They were all the same wheel(s), but I do not know who placed the order with Dymag.
Hope this sheds some further light!

These wheels are now part of a very interesting time in the Corvette history, which is what actually begins to make them so special. Both tuners offered other wheels as time went on.

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 05-06-2008, 02:30 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by *89x2*
Marty, you are right, what do I know about Dymags...

Considering I have bought (and sold, or brokered the sale) of many sets, I clearly know nothing... The last set of lightweight Dymags in a ZR1 width) You know, the Challenge ones, not the ones pic'd above, I sold for $4,000 with tires. Granted, used tires don't really factor much and make it hard to sell if you have to ship, but it was local, so it did not matter...

Now, for the "Gen II" Dy's, every time I hear of a set selling, they are a "steal" and the owner is glad to have paid a song.

Last Gen II wheel I put my hands on, was a NEW wheel (single) and the asking price was $250.00 for it. Someone on this very board, bought it and then looked to sell their complete set for a bit more

If you want a money making venture, go for it. If you have the time Be forewarned, they do not draw the coin of the Challenge Dymags. Callaway Dymags are in a whole different category and the last set of those I know sold, sold for more than ANY other set I have ever seen listed. The guy wanted them.

Again, what do I know...
Happy to add what you did not know!

You may see them;
You may sell them;
But for one who "knows" them you sure left one heck of a lot out about the history and the wheels themselves.
Come on be nice now and share!
They had a degree of popularity long before their use on any Corvette.
Maybe a Callaway owner thing?
Callaway Dymags? Oh yeah, the stamp thing!
Read more of Rippie and Callaway, and then find out and let us all know who actually ordered them from Dymag, now that would be useful information! and sharing is good!
Funny, same Dymag wheels on my DRM, and they do not say Callaway anywhere.....
If you put your hands on any new 2nd gen wheels in the 9.5 or 11 inch size for $ 250.00 each, I'll be happy to buy them from you, all day long!
Simply let me know how many you have, and I'll wire you the funds!

Regards,

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 05-06-2008, 02:37 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I got me some really nice chrome 5 spoke rims on my ZR-1.

I think they are Gen II and worth a mint, anybody want them?

I'll start the bidding at $6,000.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 05-06-2008 at 02:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Dymag Gen 2's Available - Pricing Question