C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Traction Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 03:05 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Corvette Traction Bar?

What exactly would the benefit of a traction bar be? I was told that it reduces the rear end flex under acceleration. Is it worth the money, or would I be better off spending it else where?
Old 12-16-2001, 04:35 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Corvette Traction Bar? (bence13_33)

Aren't "traction bars" the bars with the rubber bumpers that prevent a solid axle from twisting upward by bending the perpendicular leaf springs that hold it? Since the Vette is IRS, and the leaf is parallel to the axle, I don't think you would need them.
Old 12-16-2001, 04:42 PM
shawn_cake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Corvette Traction Bar? (Flareside)

Cool ride.
Wish I had the time to get my engine bay looking that nice!
Old 12-16-2001, 04:47 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Corvette Traction Bar? (Flareside)

Flareside:
Yes, normally for Camaros and what not they are traction bars. For the 'Vette they make a traction bar...it bolts to the rear end and I believe where the rear end support is.

BTW the "rubber bumpers" that you referred to are snubbers :)
Old 12-16-2001, 04:53 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Vette Brakes makes a traction bar for the C3. Give them a call if you want more info. :seeya
Old 12-16-2001, 05:14 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

My understanding if traction bars was that they bolted/clamped to the leaf springs as a measure to decrease squatting during acceleration. They allow a little downward movement but cause the springs to react stiffly at a set height turning the downward motion of the rear into downward force applied to the wheels. A friend of mine uses them on his built 69 Camaro. Car rides like crap but hooks up beautifully off the line. You may be thinking about a 4-link or ladder bar setup. Not positive but I think they are designed to combat rear end flex.
Old 12-16-2001, 06:02 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems to me that by using the crossmember locating discs and a poly front Diff mount there is really no need nor benifit of a traction bar since the diff will not be moving!
Old 12-16-2001, 07:12 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Corvette Traction Bar? (427V8)

Most traction devices including snubber bars used on leaf spring cars prevent the pinion angle from changing dramatically during acceleration. The Corvette bar does the same thing but it bolts to the bottom of the differential in the rear and to the frame in the front. IMHO the Corvette bar is of questionable worth due to the Corvette's built-in pinion snubber. I would rather spend the money on new top & bottom polyurethane cushions for the pinion snubber.

Mark

[Modified by mdsmith, 6:13 PM 12/16/2001]
Old 12-16-2001, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Default Re: Corvette Traction Bar? (427V8)

I installed one, it hangs from the bottom of the strut rod mounting plate and uses a 1" steel tube to the forward crossmember. It is in the way of my pipes, so now my pipes rattle. It seems like a crutch that shouldn't be needed if the rearend is well located, but if you consider the torque reaction of the rear end plus all the spring loads, there is a lot of force going through a center section that is really not all that well supported. I suspect that under high torque situations, that thing twists and bends the removable crossmember above severely. I suppose that is why the C4 has a large integral truss to support the rear end. Does the C4 have a long torque arm like the Camaro too?

Anyway, I installed the thing to try and cure some axle hop which turned out to be excessive side yolk end play.
Old 12-16-2001, 08:23 PM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Default Re: Corvette Traction Bar? (68427)

This may not help because it is on a C2 but you can look and see home made traction bar and it does help.
http://www.steves65customvette.homestead.com/main.html

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Traction Bar?

Quick Reply: Corvette Traction Bar?