C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some fines and magnetic drain pan plug, Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 12:51 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Some fines and magnetic drain pan plug, Problem?

I drained my oil to replace rear main seal and found a small amount of filings on the magnetic drain plug. It was so fine that when I wiped it off it appeared only to be a gray smudge on my finger. This is the first time I have used one of these magnetic plugs, is this normal?
Old 12-16-2001, 12:53 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Some fines and magnetic drain pan plug, Problem? (KJL)

I would say that the tip of my magnetic plug is covered with a "gray smudge" at oil change time too. Not sure if it's "normal" though.
Old 12-16-2001, 02:43 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Some fines and magnetic drain pan plug, Problem? (KJL)

The smudge on the magnet is actually very fine metal filings from component wear - probably rings vs cylinder wall. If you are using a high quality oil, changing regularly and using a high quality filter, there's not much you can do about it.
If it gets worse, you could have your oil analyzed to determine the source of the material. Then decide if preemptive corrective action is required.
You might also cut open an oil filter just off your car and see what's inside. Non ferrous metals (such as bronze from bearings) will be in the filter.

[Modified by flynhi, 3:17 PM 12/16/2001]
Old 12-16-2001, 02:53 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Some fines and magnetic drain pan plug, Problem? (flynhi)

I also have this and I think it to be normal. Consider that the bores and rings are wearing, along with all the other parts. On the other hand the bearings are non- magnetic, I think.
On my Outbords Lower unit I have one also. It was stated that if its a fine sludge this is normal. If it has shavings or large particles then this is an indication of failure.

Get notified of new replies

To Some fines and magnetic drain pan plug, Problem?

Quick Reply: Some fines and magnetic drain pan plug, Problem?