C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Found Console Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:33 AM
skip5015
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found Console Paint

My console was starting to peel so I was looking for something to redo it. Quite by accident I found that Performix liquid tape in the spray can is almost a perfect match. It is a vinyl or rubber base product that feels real close to the original. Mine has been on about a month and still looks like new. I dont remember if I bought this at wally world or autozone. I have used the brush on product for years on My electrical splices and it is a fantastic product. The id tag says it is Black/***** and the part number is 75815 16003.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:11 AM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info - I bookmarked for future reference!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:07 PM
TOO_HOTTVETTE
Burning Brakes

We need pics!!....Please?
Old 05-05-2008, 04:04 AM
skip5015
Advanced

If I get home before night time I will get some pics. Skip
Old 05-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Mtnvettes
Racer

Did you remove the old finish on the console first before applying or did you just spray the areas that had peeled? I have resisted replacing mine and was hoping someone would have a solution.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:31 PM
fberus
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it a late model C4 with the "dulso" finish? If so, I have been looking for a good process to refinish dulso coated parts. How did you remove the remainder of the old finish before applying the new? How did you prep the surface prior to applying the Performix?
Old 05-05-2008, 02:19 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not use a regular paint that will not peel or chip again? This is not my thread but this is exactly how I did mine. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=console I also used the same Krylon paint for an exact match.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:01 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Where to Buy Perfomix

Cant find this product in Home depot or Wally world. Anyone know where I can get the Perfomix or Plastidip products locally?
Old 05-05-2008, 07:30 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Default Found It!!!

After posting this, a fellow at home depot called me and told me that they had seven cans of spray-on Plastidip in the PAINT SECTION. It was where spray paint is sold. . . and right next to Krylon plastic paint. I bought one can of it. I will remove my radio and center console and get to stripping this weekend. I will post pictures.

Originally Posted by JimiHendrix
Cant find this product in Home depot or Wally world. Anyone know where I can get the Perfomix or Plastidip products locally?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:48 PM
fberus
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

After posting this, a fellow at home depot called me and told me that they had seven cans of spray-on Plastidip in the PAINT SECTION. It was where spray paint is sold. . . and right next to Krylon plastic paint. I bought one can of it. I will remove my radio and center console and get to stripping this weekend. I will post pictures.
Go 4 it! I await your pictures. rickreeves1 refinished piece looks great but I'm afraid that the "rubbery" feel of the dulso finish will be lost. Since I eventually plan on having this car judged, replicating the original finish as close as possible is important to me.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:53 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Default It is Rubbery Feeling

Son of a bitch. This stuff appears to be EXACTLY what dulso is. I painted just a portion of the center console just a as a test. It DOES have the rubbery feel of the dulso. . . . and matches perfectly in color to the other dulso covered parts. This will make my console look brand factory new. It is a rubbery coating and it flows nicely if you give it a careful wet spray and keep the panel level. Its awesome.

Originally Posted by fberus
Go 4 it! I await your pictures. rickreeves1 refinished piece looks great but I'm afraid that the "rubbery" feel of the dulso finish will be lost. Since I eventually plan on having this car judged, replicating the original finish as close as possible is important to me.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:00 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Default What I did so far

Spray with carb cleaner. Then rub/roll the dulso off with your fingers. It takes a little while. I cleaned the grooved surface that rings the shifter with a flat screw driver. Then. . . when the wife wasn't looking. . . I washed the entire part in dishwasher fluid and water. I wet sanded the flat parts with 400 grit sand paper, and washed again. I wiped down one side with rubbing alcohol for my test spray and then spray it with a nice even coat. I applied three coats waiting 30 minutes between coats as per instructions on the can. I was pleased with the quality/professional looking results. It matches the dulso in the remainder of the car. I will paint the remainder of the parts this weekend outside to get a really good look at the parts.

Is it a late model C4 with the "dulso" finish? If so, I have been looking for a good process to refinish dulso coated parts. How did you remove the remainder of the old finish before applying the new? How did you prep the surface prior to applying the Performix?
Old 05-05-2008, 11:41 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

I'm afraid that the "rubbery" feel of the dulso finish will be lost. Since I eventually plan on having this car judged, replicating the original finish as close as possible is important to me.
Makes sense.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:15 PM
fberus
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Spray with carb cleaner. Then rub/roll the dulso off with your fingers. It takes a little while. I cleaned the grooved surface that rings the shifter with a flat screw driver. Then. . . when the wife wasn't looking. . . I washed the entire part in dishwasher fluid and water. I wet sanded the flat parts with 400 grit sand paper, and washed again. I wiped down one side with rubbing alcohol for my test spray and then spray it with a nice even coat. I applied three coats waiting 30 minutes between coats as per instructions on the can. I was pleased with the quality/professional looking results. It matches the dulso in the remainder of the car. I will paint the remainder of the parts this weekend outside to get a really good look at the parts.
Thanx for the instructions. Would you mind posting a picture and some details of the Plastidip product? Is there a part number or product number on the can?

Thanx to rickreeves1 for the carb cleaner tip and Skip5015 for the original post and Performix idea. I was most concerned with how to get the old dulso off without ruining the plastic underneath. It looks like you gentlemen may have come up with the perfect dulso refinishing process. This really should be put on the "tech tips" page.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:29 AM
skip5015
Advanced

Thanks Guys.
I removed Mine with a dremel and fibre wheel. I do not suggest doing this as it leaves little scratches that You have to sand out with wet or dry. But I would recomennd taking the old off to make a smooth finish. I did not use regular paint because I like to keep Mine as close to stock as possible. I am enclosing a link that gives the retail sellers of the liquid tape. http://www.plastidip.com/diy_where_to_buy.php Hope it helps. By the way when You spray it on use light coats. It looks real uneven when You first put it on then it evens out to a smooth even coat.

Last edited by skip5015; 05-07-2008 at 04:30 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 05-09-2008, 05:47 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Here it is with the plastidip applied. The little bump on the upper left portion was caused by a "too long" screw. If I ever paint it again, I will press the bump down and fill with bondo....and repaint it.

I took the photo in the sun to give you a good idea of the texture. COME ON SKIP...WHERES YOUR PHOTO....I KNOW YOU DID A BETTER JOB!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Looks very . Wish you guys had posted this before I bought a new one for $90 from thepartsladi. It does not have a dulso covering but looks like it does and matches well but if I scratch it I now what I am going to do

Get notified of new replies

To Found Console Paint

Old 05-10-2008, 12:16 AM
03blackburb
Instructor

Is it the Plasti Dip spray or the Liquid Tape spray that you are using?
Wondering if for touch up you could use the corresponding liquid.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:53 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
Looks very . Wish you guys had posted this before I bought a new one for $90 from thepartsladi. It does not have a dulso covering but looks like it does and matches well but if I scratch it I now what I am going to do
Just redo the old one and sell the new one.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Road Agent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks Great!

Quick Reply: Found Console Paint