C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Main oil seal replacement, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 10:05 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Rear Main oil seal replacement, any tips?

While I have my car up on jacks I thought I would replace my leaking rear oil seal. I have seen some say off-set the seal ends and others say install them flush with the block and cap? Where should I put sealer? The Haynes manual says on seal ends and on adjacent cap and block surfaces, then in the next paragraph it says not to put sealer on seal ends.... What is the best sealer to use? Then the book say to hit crank with lead hammer back and forth to align thrust surfaces. How can this be done with engine installed in car?

Thanks for the help!!
Old 12-16-2001, 12:09 AM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Rear Main oil seal replacement, any tips? (KJL)

Several contradictory things there I think.

I'd like to hear someone answer this also. I replaced mine when I had the car totally disassembled, but it is leaking again from what looks like the rear main seal. I did not use sealer because the directions said not to.
Old 12-16-2001, 01:40 AM
Scott78
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. But the last 2 Small blocks I rebuilt I offset the seal about 1/4 to 3/8ths of an inch and used an anerobic(superglue type) sealer on the cap to block surface. So far no leaks, now watch big puddle under the suburban in the morning for opening my big mouth :D
Scott
Old 12-16-2001, 09:40 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I too plan to replace my rear seal soon. I think there is a debate about off setting the seal 1/4". Some of my books say to do that and some say don't do that. I am pretty sure that you should use some sealant as well. At least I plan to. From what I have read, its not that hard to get in there. Also make sure you use the little plastic insertion guide that comes with the seal that keeps it from ripping on the metal edge while inserting.

Regards,

Jim
Old 12-16-2001, 10:11 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rear Main oil seal replacement, any tips? (Jim73)

Jim,
How do you like your Vortec set up? I am heading in that direction with my 72 L48. I am installing Dynomax headers now and plan on using a 260 comp cam, Vortec heads and intake$$$ and have to go with carter carb. The Vortec intake does not support divorced style chokes. What cam are you running?
Old 12-16-2001, 10:21 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rear Main oil seal replacement, any tips? (Rhys)

Rhys,
In the Haynes manual alone is say to use sealer then it says not to. Also, in one section it says to off set and in another it says flush?? What is an anaerobic sealer? I know it does not require air to cure I assume, but what brand? And still wondering abount knocking the crank with a lead hammer to align the bearing thrust surfaces. This will not be possible with engine in car.
Old 12-16-2001, 01:14 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

KJL,

I really like the vortec heads. I still have the stock cam in the engine as the lower half needs a complete rebuild. Even with an old engine and stock cam, I still pulled 251hp at the rear wheels. I plan to either go with the Comp Xtream 262 or 268 or have a custom made cam. My wife's cousin who lives near Roswell insist that the big cam companies do not put all they can into a cam. He thinks he can grind me one that is more powerful. He use to race his stang in the mid to low 9's, so I trust him. My ultimate goal is to have the engine rebuilt, new cam and pocket port the vortec heads. They do not flow well when over ported, just need a little to really open them up. I also need to performance tune the carter carb and have the timing advance in the distributor checked. In other words, I still have a long way to go before she is running at optimum performance. Sounds like you will have almost the same set up as me with vortec heads, dynomax headers and carter carb. My engine is very civilized and always starts right up. Got to like that!

Regards,

Jim

P.S I may be moving back to Atlanta early next year. If so, maybe we will have a chance to get together and compare notes.

Old 12-16-2001, 01:58 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rear Main oil seal replacement, any tips? (Jim73)

Yes, If you move back please look me up. I don't have the Vortec heads yet. I am trying to pace myself. I am debating on pulling the engine and doing a complete rebuild. Still on the fence though.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Main oil seal replacement, any tips?

Quick Reply: Rear Main oil seal replacement, any tips?