C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to shorten throttle cable??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 09:52 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default how to shorten throttle cable??

what is the correct way to shorten the throttle cable?
Old 12-15-2001, 10:37 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: how to shorten throttle cable?? (70 LS1)

i use split shot lead sinkers on the gas pedal side over the cable where it come through the pedal arm.
Old 12-15-2001, 10:49 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how to shorten throttle cable?? (70 LS1)

I've got a little slop in mine too. I think the only way to do this is to clip the cable end stop (at the pedal linkage) and attach a new one. Will shorten it about 1/4" minimum. Just not sure if there's enough room for a crimping tool under the dash, but I think it's do-able. Guess you already checked to make sure the pedal brackets aren't loose, causing the problem. It would make things much easier to pull the cable out of the firewall, but I haven't looked at mine to see how difficult it would be to remove. I had also thought about making a spacer to fit under the pedal bracket, effectively shortening the cable as well as giving more pedal linkage clearance from the floor (if I have the floormats in place I don't get full travel).

Hmmm, I like Clem's idea to use the split shot sinkers and leave the original crimped fitting in place for backup. Good idea! :yesnod:

[Modified by Chris81, 10:02 PM 12/15/2001]
Old 12-15-2001, 11:03 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how to shorten throttle cable?? (Chris81)

I took the slack out of mine at the pedal, and used a tiny wire clamp from the hardware store....i discovered that the secondary on the carb was only opening up half way. Now, she reaaaaly goes !

RR

Get notified of new replies

To how to shorten throttle cable??

Quick Reply: how to shorten throttle cable??