C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future Vette...What years would fit this description?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 05:34 PM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Future Vette...What years would fit this description?

For another Vette down the road, I am thinking about a C-3. Perhaps you guys can help narrow my choices. I am going to show my lack of knowledge on the C-3's here, so bear with me :D

I want a vertical rear window. Am I looking at '69-77?

I will transplant a 700R4 in it. Are the tranny tunnels on all years large enough, or am I looking at some careful reworking of the floorboards?

If I run a cowl hood, nothing obnoxious, will a tunnel ram fit without busting through the hood?

I really spend most of my time working on my '85 so the C-3 that I get will likely be a basket case to start off with. I am not looking at hacking up a good car, but only putting life back into something that is possibly ragged out.

Also, can you let me know the major interior changes that occured (just years really-I will try to get interior pics based on the changes if I can get some years).

Considering I am going to be running a 400 SBC with quite a cam, I may end up going to a TPI based computer but with injector bungs on the Tunnel Ram and a 4 barrel throttle body to keep low end response reasonable. Induction will be based on that. Any info on electric fuel pump options would be appreciated, like should I go with a tank from an 82 and swap out the low pressure CFI fuelpump for a TPI pump or run an inline pump near the tank.

What about traction. Anyone know if the rearend is setup similarly to that of the C4's? Still have the C-beam from the tranny to the hogshead?

One other thing--which years that I am asking about have the most passenger space (not cargo space)? This will be used for long trips most likely and I am not a half-pint. :D Thanks everyone! -Matt-
Old 12-15-2001, 05:46 PM
stickben
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Future Vette...What years would fit this description? (HighHopes85)

Hey hows it goin? I live really close to West Lafayette in Battle Ground. I bought my C3 not too long ago. Im not even close to being an authority on the car subject, im just saying hi. :yesnod: Havent seen many fellow forum members around from indiana.
Old 12-15-2001, 06:08 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

I can help a little. Vertical rear window ..68-77. 1975 was the first year for catalytic converters. 1976 and up ? use steel floor pans which tend to rust out! 1980 began using a set-up in the rear similar to the C4's with a mono-leaf glass spring. 1968-1972 has a removable rear window that really keeps turbulance down with the roof panels out. Really a nice feature! (you can drive C3's with the panels out without the car turning to rubber like C4's). 1981's (I think) sarted using computer controlled stuff 1982 began using a 700R-4 trans. No manuals were available. in 1982

[Modified by silvervetteman, 4:09 PM 12/15/2001]
Old 12-15-2001, 06:12 PM
Lasse
Burning Brakes

You want vertical window, then you look at '68-77, but between 68-72 it was removable. This years also have chrome bumpers (Nicest in my taste), '73 only chrome bumper rear. Also the fender louver had different looks '68-69/'70-72/'73-. '68-74 has bigblock as an option :yesnod: :D :reddevil

[Modified by Lasse, 11:18 PM 12/15/2001]
Old 12-15-2001, 06:27 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Future Vette...What years would fit this description? (Lasse)

Yeah, what those guys above said, but I can't think of any hood that'd fit a tunnel ram. Maybe a Pro-street scoop??

I have the removeable rear window on mine, but since my '70 doesn't see any bad weather, the window sits on a shelf in my garage.
Old 12-15-2001, 06:43 PM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Default Re: Future Vette...What years would fit this description? (1970 Stingray)

Awesome info guys. Definitly want the removable window, so that narrows my search even further!

Stickben-We got any clubs up here??? Not many Corvette owners in Northern Indiana seem to wave :( I have been trying to set them straight one handed! Hopefully PU allows me back up in spring :eek: so I cna see how many people I can get to stick their arm out!

silvervetteman-I like the rear on my C-4 but then again, if I pump any more power to it, I gotta upgrade to a Dana 44. Looks like since GM had BB's in the '68-72's that they were plenty beefy to take car of this. I will scout out some info on those rears. It's not like I am going to be doing much to them, but was interested about how the front locates to the transmission.

Lasse-The chrome bumpers are definitly better in my opinion. And about the BB option--I think I am going to keep it small block so I have extra room to put twin hairdryers on it. :yesnod:

70 Stingray-Who knows about the hood. EVery once in a while I get really ticked off at Camaros that drive around with SS hoods and they aren't an SS, so I gotta do my research. I guess I have different feelings about the Corvette hoods though. No matter what hood style you use, they all blend in very nicely (unlike the airduct on the new SS's) so I gotta keep my options open.

Man, I shouldn't have started my search so early...this thing isn't going to be feasiblle for about another 2 years :crazy: :crazy:

At least I have some solid information to use now when I start going to the shows in the spring. I think a little more looking would have kept me out of the trouble I have experienced with my '85 :( -Matt-
Old 12-15-2001, 06:46 PM
Lasse
Burning Brakes

Twin hairdryers is a nice combo with removable window... :lol:
Old 12-15-2001, 06:58 PM
stickben
Instructor

I only know of the one we have in lafayette, http://dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu/~young/LCC/. I havent had a chance to go to any of their meetings, maybe in the future. Are you going to PU? Heh im relieved, today was my first day off from finals :cheers: :D

[Modified by stickben, 5:00 PM 12/15/2001]
Old 12-15-2001, 07:09 PM
Gameshow Bob
Racer

This is mostly post flat window information, but good to know anyways. They switched back to fiberglass floorpans after a few years, definately by '80 cause I've got fiberglass. In 1978 the interior changed significantly, the pace car had different style seats, 79 and later had them standard. In '80 the differential changed to a c4 style aluminium housing. The standard transmission changed in '80 also from a muncie to a borg warner. I dont have fuel injection, maybe one day i will, but i currently run an inline carter fuel pump. Seems to do alright. Interior passenger space is about the same on all years.
Old 12-15-2001, 07:11 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Oh yeah... one more thing to consider. Automatics have removable cross members (transmission mounts to it) but all manual corvettes have this cross member welded in as part of the frame so it is not easy to convert from 4spd to automatic. A bit easier to go from atuo to manual though. Food for thought. :chevy
Old 12-15-2001, 08:30 PM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Default Re: Future Vette...What years would fit this description? (silvervetteman)

Stickben-Yep. I am in MET...and I got stuck with a crummy regular C-permit this year. Hopefully next year I will have the garage permit, but so far (fingers crossed) nobody has taken out any frustration on my car. I think the stadium is too far for most people to walk if they are trying to vandalize something :yesnod:

Hmmm, I need to keep floorpans in my mind. I don't really want to be doing a frame off, but if the steel floorpans are an issue (depending on where the car has been driven/stored in the midwest) then I might have to.

Silvervetteman-You should see what kind of crossmeber a crazy 16 year old kid made a couple of years ago when he put a 700R4 into a '69 Chevelle. Oh wait...that kid was me :( Hey, I flipped burgers and worked on cars. I tell ya, working on cars was the best thing I ever got into. I honestly think it kept me out of doing drugs and stuff. I poured all my money into my Chevelle and my friends were spending their money on hash and booze. Without my dad letting me fill his garage up with tools in highschool, I don't know where I would have ended up.

BTW: This buildup is actually for him. I figure in a year I will have graduated and have a small place of my own. If I do, I plan to seek out a good driver and do everything that it needs. I have been turning wrenches since I was 14 and this is about my only skill. There is really no way I could ever repay my parents for all the backing they have given me throughout my years. There has been financial backing, but more than that, they are just the best damn parents a kid could have ever had. Sometimes a simple thank-you just doesn't cut it, but it is all I am in position to do right now. So hopefully in a year from now, I can start my buildup.

I guess my only other question is this: My parents will probably be getting a RV in about 3 years. I haven't studied them much, but I assume you usually get a FWD car and pull it with the back wheels on the ground. Is there any feasible setup that will be able to pull a Vette? I know it all makes a difference and they might end up getting a compact car to take with them on their journeys, but I was just curious. A flatbed would likely exceed the towing capacity depending on the RV chassis they get and I know that short of disconnecting the driveshaft and installing some sort of rear diff cooler with an electric curculation pump, a RWD vehicle cannot be towed. I guess they might have to let me drive it during their adventures :D

-Matt-
Old 12-15-2001, 10:54 PM
stickben
Instructor

Yeah the c-permits arn't that great, i broke down and bought the $72 garage permit. I think it was worth it, i can come to school anytime and find a parking space without a problem. Im a CS major, have you looked at the car club forum at purdue? its at http://fox.vet.purdue.edu . In case your looking around, my 76 has a flat window, ill see if i have a pic that shows it. The bumper in the pic is from another year, but i kinda like it.
Old 12-16-2001, 08:44 AM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Default Re: Future Vette...What years would fit this description? (stickben)

here is a C2 with a flat window that comes out it is from a 72 and so is the nose of the car

Get notified of new replies

To Future Vette...What years would fit this description?

Quick Reply: Future Vette...What years would fit this description?