C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers don't fit! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 04:08 PM
tzavaleta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers don't fit! Help!!

I bought my headers (Hooker Super Comp, Ceramic Coated for Corvette!!) nearly 6 months ago. When they arrived i test fitted them on the 454 (didn't bolt them down) and they seemed fine.

Anyway, i went today to put them on and the passenger side hits the pitman arm (is that what's it's called? it's the pivot that mounts to the passenger side frame). The header only needs about 1/4 inch more clearance to fit.

Hay anyone ran into this?!?!

What should i do?

=thomas
Old 12-15-2001, 04:12 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: Headers don't fit! Help!! (tzavaleta)

Heard this before, the suggested cure is a minor 'dent' in the header tube if I remember correctly. And take that socket wrench off your fender, are you nuts!! :D
Old 12-15-2001, 04:17 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Headers don't fit! Help!! (MasterDave)

thats called an idler arm...

agree with the above advice..

dent it.
Old 12-15-2001, 04:18 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you referring to the idler arm? When I installed my headers, they would not clear the z-bar on the drivers side. I took the z-bar to a machine shop and had them notch it just a little to clear the header. If push comes to shove, maybe you could have the header notched just enough to clear the idler arm. That would be a last resort. Also, could you use shorter bolts in the idler arm? Is the header hitting the arm itself or the bolt?

Regards,

Jim

[Modified by Jim73, 3:19 PM 12/15/2001]
Old 12-15-2001, 04:24 PM
tzavaleta
Racer

Yes, it's the idler arm (thanks) and it's hitting the bottom of it where it rotates. I woudln't mind denting the headers except for the fact they are ceramic coated will this crack the finish?

I'm only needing about 1/4 inch clearance so i wonder if i couldn't make the bolt whole on the idler arm wider and "pivot" it out. This would adjust the strearing linkages, but they are all on ball joints so they should move easy.

Thoughts?

*laugh* ... about the wrench on the fender... This is the original paint job, it's going as soon as the car is running... :)
Old 12-15-2001, 04:38 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aftermarket headers often do require 'Massaging' to make fit. I can Imagine that att of the possible combinations plus production tolerances would make it near impossible to make headers fit on all cars and engines!

I'd try wiggleing the idler arm, usually those things have some slop in their mounting, and at the least you'd have to dent the header less...
Old 12-15-2001, 04:41 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Headers don't fit! Help!! (MasterDave)

The "wrench" is called a ratchet. :p:
Old 12-15-2001, 05:03 PM
tzavaleta
Racer

Default Re: Headers don't fit! Help!! (silvervetteman)

boy.. i'm getting picked on today... yes, i know it's a ratchet. :)

Will denting the headers do damage to the Ceramic coating?

-thomas
Old 12-15-2001, 06:04 PM
tzavaleta
Racer

Followup!

Ok, i decided to go ahead and "massage" the headers with the 5lb bad ***** (and a towel). It worked great. I'm really impreased. It didn't do any damage to the headers or the ceramic and just created a nice smooth bend (without even using too much effort).

Thanks again everyone for your advice!!

Old 12-15-2001, 06:10 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Thomas, did you get them coated by Hooker, or by JetHot after purchase? How's the quality of the coating?
Old 12-15-2001, 09:08 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

My 1 7/8 hooker super comps sit real close to the idle arm (1/4" to 1/2") but don't touch. If you got the 2" primaries or bigger I could see how they would touch.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 12-15-2001, 09:56 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My side mount headers hit my heavy duty idler arm but cleared the stock arm. Is your idler arm a heavy duty arm or a stock arm ?
Old 12-16-2001, 03:34 AM
tzavaleta
Racer

Default Re: Headers don't fit! Help!! (73Ken73)

They are ceramic coated and yes, i ordered them that way.

I don't beleive i have a heavy duty idler arm. I just got the front rebuild kit (poly graphite) form PST. I didn't order any special components. And the Headers i ordered from Summit Hooker, Ceramic, 454 Corvette 1974.

The "messaging" actually doesn't look bad at all. I was really nervous about it up front. But in retrospect it doesn't look bad.

[Modified by tzavaleta, 11:41 AM 12/16/2001]
Old 12-16-2001, 01:50 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Did you get the 1 7/8" headers? I'm trying to find someone who has a picture of the 2 1/8" setup installed. I'm planning a big block that could really use the bigger tubes, but I'm concerned about ground clearance.
Old 12-16-2001, 02:07 PM
tzavaleta
Racer

Default Re: Headers don't fit! Help!! (Flareside)

These are the 1 7/8. Actually, i don't recall, but i just went a took a rough measurement on the OD and it was just a shy less then 2''. So i figure they must be the 1 7/8.

I did research when i bought them and i determined that the bigger tubes wouldn't show any improvement given the size of my exhaust ports and that the pipe size (even at 3") would be a restriction.

I'm glad now because i don't believe the larger pipes would have fit. I was already rubbing against the idler arm and within a fraction of an inch of the A/C box (condenser?) on the firewall.

I can provide some pictures of the headers installed (from any angle) because the body is off the frame (actually looks really cool!!).
Old 12-16-2001, 02:17 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Default Re: Headers don't fit! Help!! (Flareside)

Hey Joe how are you. Before I put on my sidepipes I put on a set of the 2 1/8 inch undercar supercomps and on my car I only had about 2 inches of ground clearance. I still have those headers and they are jet-hot coated so when I finally get my power steering off and you still want it you could test fit those headers on you car if you wanted too. JE68 on the forum has these headers on his 68 and said they fit fine, so I guess it all depends on the car.
Old 12-16-2001, 06:16 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

I don't know if anybody else has run across this or not, so I'll ask. I was at a car show earlier this year talking to another owner of a 73, who originally had a small block and put in a 454 and he said it doesn't fit nearly as nice as mine does. I looked at it and everything was a lot tighter in there, everything fit on mine with a little room to spare. he says he used mounts for a 73 big block he bought from GM. He had to dimple his headers for clearance like tzavaleta did. What I don't understand is why the difference? I'd think if your using the same mounts on a passenger Mark IV it should sit the same, or is there some slight difference in the small block cars? Anybody else run across this ?

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 12-16-2001, 06:26 PM
tzavaleta
Racer

Default Re: Headers don't fit! Help!! (73 LS-4)

Here's the picture of my headers installed...

-thomas
tpzavaleta

Get notified of new replies

To Headers don't fit! Help!!

Quick Reply: Headers don't fit! Help!!