C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 03:53 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension questions

Im about to start my suspension rebuild. I was going to do it sooner, but Im jobless(no income), and its hard to buy bushings and even paint, when your broke.

Anyway, its christmas time, and its time to make my list(Im a little late I guess), but I am wondering how good a stock suspension is. I mean, if I rebuild the suspension as is(replacing worn parts with identical new parts), is it a good suspension setup? My future plans include aprox 350 HP(my goal). Will my stock suspension hold that up under autocross racing and drag racing?

I hear a lot of non-vetters put down the suspension, saying it won't be good for to much more power. Is this true?

Daniel
Old 12-15-2001, 03:59 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: suspension questions (daniel77350)

goal). Will my stock suspension hold that up under autocross racing and drag racing?

I hear a lot of non-vetters put down the suspension, saying it won't be good for to much more power. Is this true?

Daniel
Non-Vetter's put down Corvette suspensions because guys like to put mega power behind a 25 yeard old plus suspension that has never ever been touched and it ends up breaking. Make sure everything is up to snuff and your Corvette should be able to take a fair amount of abuse.
Old 12-15-2001, 04:42 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: suspension questions (Stingy74)

People drag race 750hp big blocks with these cars. 350 hp should be fine!!!
Old 12-15-2001, 07:04 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Default Re: suspension questions (427V8)

My opinion would be to stay away from a lot of suspension modifications unless you are trying to set up for track racing. The car won't ride as good, and you'll hear a lot of funny noises coming from those "stiffer" springs, sway bars, bushings etc. I have pulled a lot of my suspension modifications off (mostly VEtteBrake stuff) and am back to mostly stock, and like it. I have heard good things about one-piece adjustable fiberglass mono-springs, but I haven't tried one on my car yet. Regards

'74 Turbocharged 350 "Molested to Perfection", class of '71
Old 12-15-2001, 07:20 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: suspension questions (Shutdown1)

There you go again Daniel just trying to spend some cash :lol: You can go hog wild on your suspension and spend lots of bucks later. For now I would just go with rubber bushings and replace parts as necessary. As stated above your suspension in good working condition will take alot of abuse. If you go off the deep end on your suspension like I have, you wont be able to get the vast majority of the benefit out of it unless you step up to 16+ wheels where you can get a lower profile tire and Z rating.

If you decide that you want to build a canyon carver here is some good advise I was given. Stay with soft springs and get big swaybars. Upgrade your wheels and tires and you are on your way.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:25 PM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: suspension questions (ScubaJKD)

five years ago,i went with poly,460 springs in the front and a 330 glass spring in the back.it's a little stiffer than stock,but i like it. the glass spring is quieter than the stock metal spring and IMO rides smoother. i put delco gas shocks all the way around and the car rides firm and tight. if i wanted a "living room couch" ride i would have kept my wife's Lincoln town car
Old 12-15-2001, 09:27 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: suspension questions (Gary79)

It is my understanding that the Half shaft diameters, Yokes and drive shaft diameters are different from the SB to BB. I assume this to be the case with yours. I don't believe the suspension was changed to any degree. Other than to soften it up from the earlier years.
I've never heard a 'Vettes suspension not taking HP but maybe this is actually referring to the lightened drive system instead.
I wonder how much stock power these other non-Vette people had to start with?

Get notified of new replies

To suspension questions

Quick Reply: suspension questions