C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caution : DO NOT use MSD Box with Solid Core Ignition Wires ; per MSD.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 12:40 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caution : DO NOT use MSD Box with Solid Core Ignition Wires ; per MSD.

The MSD tech says it will mess up the Box . Use only spiral core wires.

Dave.
Old 12-15-2001, 12:43 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Caution : DO NOT use MSD Box with Solid Core Ignition Wires ; per MSD. (Rumpity Rump)

i just put spiral core accell 8.8 300 plus wires on mine last week so im good to go now.now im ready to put the msd in.
Old 12-15-2001, 03:49 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Caution : DO NOT use MSD Box with Solid Core Ignition Wires ; per MSD. (Rumpity Rump)

Yea, I saw that when I first bought my MSD. I checked with the forum, and lots of guys were doing it without a problem. Works fine for me, go figure...
Old 12-15-2001, 09:05 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the concern has to do with the much higher leakage from solid core metalic wires messing with computer controls inside the MSD unit and also if the car is computer equipped. This leakage isn't spark energy but an electromagnetic field. Those of us that were around in pre-cable tv days remember how a neighbor's car with a loose plug wire or a power tool would mess up our tv screens. Non-metalic solid core wires (like oem and cheapo after-market ones) don't have a leakage problem but I seem to recall something about them having shorter lives when used with high output ignitions like the MSD
Old 12-16-2001, 07:22 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just noticed my coil wire a few days ago & it says "Solid Core Race Wire" -opps :eek:
No problems yet -2years.
The plug wires are Taylor Spiro pro however.
Old 12-17-2001, 07:56 AM
randy72
Drifting

Default Re: Caution : DO NOT use MSD Box with Solid Core Ignition Wires ; per MSD. (71coupe)

can you guys give some more info please? My brother had a brand new MSD die after start up/break in last week. Fresh engine, fired right up. Ran fine for about 10 minutes then just died. Sent the box back to MSD and it was dead. They're sending him a new one, but know I'm wondering if his wires may have been related??? it seems that if it was wired wrong it would have self destructed before the car started.
Old 12-19-2001, 01:30 PM
randy72
Drifting

Default Re: Caution : DO NOT use MSD Box with Solid Core Ignition Wires ; per MSD. (randy72)

ttt
Old 12-19-2001, 01:48 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!

I’ve been trying to get this message across to guys on this forum since I became a member… The electromagnetic field produced by solid core wires is too great to use (to maximum efficiency) in conjunction with the MSD multi-spark ignition system. It is also possible for the box to malfunction if placed in close proximity to solid core plug wires. In fact, when installing you should insulate the box from all forms of electrical interference and heat.

Also, there is little or no need for solid core wires given today’s insulated wire technology and ignition power levels. The plug wires only role is to deliver the power supplied to the plug throughout the entire rpm range. As long as the voltage at the plug is great enough to produce spark across the electrode gap the wire has done its job.

Get notified of new replies

To Caution : DO NOT use MSD Box with Solid Core Ignition Wires ; per MSD.

Quick Reply: Caution : DO NOT use MSD Box with Solid Core Ignition Wires ; per MSD.