C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

run on

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 08:22 PM
ykp53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default run on

what causes a car to run for about a second after you turn the key off. mine did this twice today. never happened before. :confused: :confused:
Old 12-14-2001, 10:13 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: run on (ykp53)

Lots of things. Often as not, it's a combination of them. Too little initial ignition timing, lean mixtures, hot spots in cyls from carbon buildup, and high idle speed come to mind but others may think of more. This was a common problem with even brand new cars back in the early days of emission controls. Even in non-smog engines, an idle speed set high to compensate for another problem can wind up increasing the chances of run-on (aka, deiseling).
Old 12-14-2001, 11:19 PM
98RKC
Melting Slicks

I had the same thing after driving on longer trips. Didn't do it if I just ran around the corner but after I got to meetings or drove home from one it would turn over two or three times after shut off. Slightly embarrasing :eek: .
I started using premium gas and it stoped. Thankfully the price of premium has come back down to $1.18 a gallon :)
Old 12-15-2001, 08:55 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: run on (n8370c)

Mine will sometimes do it when I have some bad gas in the car. I always use premium but the quality of gas differs from station to station.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:55 AM
MikeE.79
Advanced

I agree with the other guys timing,Idle speed, and grade of fuel are things to check. I had a car that did that in hot weather and being an automatic transmission I would shut it off in gear and it wouldn't run on. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To run on

Quick Reply: run on