C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cowl Induction Hood for a 72

Old 12-14-2001, 07:41 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Cowl Induction Hood for a 72

I'd like to get a raised cowl induction hood for my 72. The high rise type that also eliminates the wiper door. At this time I don't want the cold air box..but I do want to be able to look into the engine bay when sitting behind the wheel. The reason is, at a future date I'll be changing intake and carburator (and maybe the entire block too) and I don't want to mess with the differences in height. I figure that for now, just having the cowl open will be better than nothing.

I called Eckler's for an explanation and for a picture and believe or not, I came away without the answer I want.

Can you guys tell me about the hoods. Which type should I buy that will give me a cowl opening now, with the possibility of putting a box in to the air cleaner later?

I also heard a rumor that the hoods in the JC Whitney catalog were indentical but about $200 less. Any truth to that?

Your help is appreciated. :)
Old 12-15-2001, 01:03 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Cowl Induction Hood for a 72 (AlwaysWave)

L88 style without air box, with wiper door :cheers:
Old 12-15-2001, 01:06 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

...but I do want to be able to look into the engine bay when sitting behind the wheel.
Are you sure. If the rear of the hood is open, not sealed, then the heat and fumes from the engine compartment can come right into the passanger compartment through the cowl air vents. Besides making the passanger compartment hot it can also be dangerious by letting in toxic fumes.

Just a thought.

tom...

[Modified by Tom73, 11:07 PM 12/14/2001]
Old 12-15-2001, 01:07 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I think it was Twinnie who bought a hood from J.C. Whitney and was very pleased with fit and finish. I think a couple other guys bought them and were equally satisfied. If you get one of the long hoods to cover your wiper area, you have to keep the stainless steel pieces at the top corner of the fenders in order to get it match up with the hood.
Old 12-15-2001, 07:45 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Cowl Induction Hood for a 72 (Tom73)

yellow72, I like the looks of the hood from that view :smash:

Tom. I'm gonna risk it :cheers:

Smokehouse, thanks :cheers: I have two body shops that tell me they can work the fender line edges to match with the new hood.

next call will be JC Whitney :)
Old 12-15-2001, 07:57 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Got mine from Ecklers and was very pleased with the quality. Mine is the long style L88 hood as you can see from the picture. I wanted to remove the broken and never worked in the first place wiper door. I am very pleased although you can probably get a better price. Is this picture big enough :lol:

[Modified by ScubaJKD, 6:24 PM 12/15/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Cowl Induction Hood for a 72

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cowl Induction Hood for a 72