C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to find vac reservoir canister for 71?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Snowman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Default Where to find vac reservoir canister for 71?

Hello all!

I am having a good bit of success sorting through my vacuum system on my 71 BB vert. I have gotten headlights and wiper doors to open and close, have replaced vacuum check valve which was shot, have all new hoses and have checked diaphrams on the actuators, replacing the wiper door actuator.

I still have a slow leak somewhere in the system. When I start the car, headlights and wiper door come up, after maybe 20-30 seconds, the headlights go down together, then the wiper door and they stay shut unless I want to use them.

My last guess is the vacuum cannister itself. Tried Ecklers, M-A, Jegs, Willcox with no luck except for a Comp Cams reservoir for BB cars not necessarily for a Corvette.

Where can I find one?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Doug
Old 04-21-2008, 01:00 PM
A8skyhawk
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would try giving Zip-Products a call... it wasn't listed on their website but I've had good success with them finding things for me. Their number is 1-800-962-9632. I know they have one for an 80-81... hopefully they can find one for a 71. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Doug,
My understanding is that when the doors open and then close it's because there is a slow leak on the 'control' side of the system. I believe when you start the engine the relays should receive full vacuum first (small hoses), and tell the doors to stay closed. In your case the actuators are receiving full vacuum first (big hoses), opening, and then closing when the relays finally signal them to close.
Regards,
Alan.

PS: In 1974 the Chevrolet Dealers had the fellow who designed the headlight and wiper systems assasinated.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:12 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Doug,
My understanding is that when the doors open and then close it's because there is a slow leak on the 'control' side of the system. I believe when you start the engine the relays should receive full vacuum first (small hoses), and tell the doors to stay closed. In your case the actuators are receiving full vacuum first (big hoses), opening, and then closing when the relays finally signal them to close.
Regards,
Alan.

PS: In 1974 the Chevrolet Dealers had the fellow who designed the headlight and wiper systems assasinated.
Thats my understanding as well.

'69-'73 vacuum tanks are no longer available. Paragon can braze a 3rd nipple onto the '68 tank or you can add a later '80-'82 tank.

A cracked/leaky tank will only cause the lights to go up an slowly. Because they go up immediately you can eliminate a bad tank as the reason. I'm not saying your tank is good....I'm just saying its the not why everything goes up right away.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:19 AM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search the forum archive for vacuum system trouble shooting articles. It's been discussed here before for sure. Some vendors also have trouble shooting articles on vacuum systems here is a link to Dr Rebuild's http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/TROUBLE1.HTML
I'll bet JT Pipers can provide a correctly restored 71 vacuum reservoir. Be prepared to give an arm and a leg. Other Vette parts recylers may have less pristine but still functional units for just one arm. Dr. Rebuild sells the 80 - 82 unit as a relacement for the 68-79 tank. It may just be worthwhile to repair yours, if the tank is indeed the source of your problem.

Last edited by 71rdster; 04-22-2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: add content
Old 04-22-2008, 11:37 AM
wattac2
Racer

Default Some addition thoughts

Have you actually applied a vacuum at the smaller hose (control circuit) of the check valve? Did it hold the vacuum for a good long time? Next disconnect any one of the control lines (smaller hoses that attach to the top) from the control valves and make sure the hoses are clear and not plugged. If there is an obstruction anywhere it'd slow down the vacuum buildup on the control side and cause your problem.

Just some additional thoughts.

Andy
Old 04-22-2008, 11:40 AM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

I've got one for sale. $90 +shipping from 92705.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:36 AM
Snowman
Le Mans Master

CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Thank you everyone. There is a lot of good stuff in here.

I like the notion about the relays not have vacuum to start. I have all new hoses and the vacuum relays all work but maybe they leak.

Alan I am glad that person was assasinated. Was he stoned first, then his body burned?

Todd, I will get back to you if I do find I need a tank.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Where to find vac reservoir canister for 71?

Quick Reply: Where to find vac reservoir canister for 71?