C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have experience with the performance engine "packages"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 11:36 AM
Wendell Allen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anybody have experience with the performance engine "packages"?

I'm about to the point where I want to go ahead with some motor upgrades. But I'm going to be lazy about chosing the parts where I can. The easiest way to do this as far as I can tell is to go with a "package".

So I'm considering the performance packages from Edlebrock and Holley. Specifically, the Edlebrock Performer RPM and Holley SystemMAX packages. Of course I'll do other things, like a carb and ignition changes and the addition of headers.

But I'm wondering if anyone has used these packages and what your experiences were. We'll be working on a 350, with the only mod being that it now has flat top pistons in it instead of stock dish's.

I'd welcome any advice or comments you may have.
Old 12-14-2001, 11:45 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: Anybody have experience with the performance engine "packages"? (Wendell Allen)

I saw something recently stating that if you go with the edelbrock " Pacage" you better make sure the bottom end is VERY Strong or you could have some serious problems
Old 12-14-2001, 11:55 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Anybody have experience with the performance engine "packages"? (Wendell Allen)

I have the Edelbrock RPM cam & intake. The cam has a great idle sound along with great throttle response. I went with Sportman II heads on the engine builder's recommendation. We looked up the flow numbers of the RPM heads & found that the II's flowed better out of the box. He also has had good results with many drag racers with these heads so I took his word on them. I have TRW forged flat top pistons with 10.25:1 compression. I did port the RPM intake manifold runners with a Dremel to smooth the casting.

This motor runs great and the midrange is very strong. I autocross my vette and find that I need to learn throttle control now because once the rpm's start getting up there, the cars starts to break traction and goes sideways on the course :eek: . :)
Old 12-14-2001, 12:15 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay buddy here is the long and short from a guy who did exactly what you are talking about to a 350. I bought the total performer RPM package for my 350. RPM Heads, RPM Cam, 750cfm carb, Victor water pump, and RPM Intake. Edelbrock makes buying this package very easy.

I loved the heads they flow great, the intake is now world famous for performance, water pump does a great job, and carb is simple to setup and very reliable. So what is the problem you ask ?

THE CAM SUCKS. This cam does not idle for dog doodie, is made to start running around 3,000rpm which is not realistic for the street, and wont pull enough vaccum to run your power brakes much less your headlights. I think advertised duration is 300. I yanked this sucker out as have 90% of the people who have bought one went with a COMP Cams roller cam 280H for my now 383 stroker motor. Why 383 stroker motor you ask ?

Problem number 2. Edelbrock advertises 420 horses with this package. That is if you run the motor up to 6000rpm to achieve this result. Since the cam does not start really working the motor until 3000rpm you find yourself revving the living crap out of the motor to make power. Problem is your bottom end better be up to speed to be spinning 6000rpm all the time or you will blow your motor like I did.

Conclusion: I have been very pleased with the entire package. Bottom line the parts are first rate quality and a very competitive price. However I would not wipe my backside with the RPM cam and you will be hard pressed to find someone who will say otherwise. I would highly recommend the entire setup to anyone. Only exception would be that I would also suggest you contact COMP cams and add a 268 or 274 extreme energy cam to this package to make it all work the way it is supposed to. With this cam you will pick up the torq that is lost with the RPM cam, lower your power band to something that is usable in the real world and something your bottom end wont hate you for.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can provide any other info. :seeya
Old 12-14-2001, 12:50 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Default Re: Anybody have experience with the performance engine "packages"? (ScubaJKD)

I have to agree with Bryan. All my research suggests that the RPM can (and the Holley as well) are old technology. The new Comp Extreme Energy series will make as much HP with much better bottom end.

FYI, Chevy High Performance got 400+ hp out of a 350 with the XE268 and Vortec heads, 420 HP with the HOT roller cam. Both cams have at least 10 degrees less duartion than the RPM cam.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:56 PM
Wendell Allen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks a heap, fella's. That's EXACTLY the kind of information I'm looking for.

Anyone else? Chime on in!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody have experience with the performance engine "packages"?

Quick Reply: Anybody have experience with the performance engine "packages"?