C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake install gone wrong?

Old 12-14-2001, 09:17 AM
TTop Tony
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intake install gone wrong?

Ever since I put a new aluminum intake and Holley carb my idle speed has been creeping up slowly. Last week one of the bolts had a little oil coming through so I pulled it and retorqued all the bolts. Now my Carb refuses to idle any less then 1800rpm. I have the idle speed screw all the way out. What did I do? I'm just about to pull the intake off and start again. Would a leaky intake cause this? Please help?
Old 12-14-2001, 09:28 AM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 215 Posts

Default Re: Intake install gone wrong? (TTop Tony)

Did you check the intake vacuum after the installation? Check for a vacuum leak under the carb and where the intake meets the cylinder heads. I use carb cleaner for this. with the engine running spray the fluid at the joints. If speed picks up or idle smoothes out you have found the vacuum leak. Carb cleaner can dissolve the paint if you put too much on. Ether based starting fluid is my alternate. Also check the cranckcase for vacuum. Put the vacuum gage on the dipstick tube. Any vacuum in the crackcase means a vacuum leak under the intake. When I corrected the vacuum leak under the intake on my Vette it idled smooth at 600 rpm, acceleration was greatly improved and the mixture screws on the carb actually could control idle quality.
Roger
Old 12-14-2001, 09:29 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Throttle cable mis-adjusted and not allowing the butterflies to completely close. Or massive vacuum leak. It's easy enough to check either. Remove the air cleaner top and look down the venturi to see if the blades are closed. If they're not, remove the throttle cable from the lever to see if it will now close. This will lead you to a path where you can fix the cable problem. If the blades are properly closed, then start the engine and start manually closing the choak. If the idle speed starts to drop and stays smooth, then you're dealing with a vacuum leak. Based upon the symptoms, I'd say it's a throttle problem.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:40 AM
TTop Tony
Drifting

Default Re: Intake install gone wrong? (gerry72)

Thanks guys that'll at least give me some things to start looking at.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:59 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

dont forget to put permatex sealer on the bolt threads, then you wont have oil comming up through the bolts....

and dont forget that aluminum intakes need to be retorqed several times after u install it....

Old 12-14-2001, 11:08 AM
TTop Tony
Drifting

Default Re: Intake install gone wrong? (daily_driver)

Yes permatex sealer definitley this time ( I didn't know I had to keep retorquing it) and better gaskets. I wasn't thrilled with the cardboard ones I got last time.

Get notified of new replies

To Intake install gone wrong?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake install gone wrong?