C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Benefit from My Hindsight with Starting/Stalling Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 05:16 PM
saw22
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Benefit from My Hindsight with Starting/Stalling Problems

I just spent 11 days of my life researching in this forum for countless hours and trying everything under the sun to fix my car. We reconditioned the ignition switch 4 times, checked/cleaned (almost) all grounds, even swapped in another PCM. The real fix took 5 minutes. Take a minute or two to read this so you don't make the same mistake I did.

Symptoms:
1. Car starts for a second or two but does not stay started, stalls out.
2. Fuel pump does NOT come on in the RUN key position.
3. "Low oil level" on the DIC.
4. Sporadic codes from a lazy O2 sensor that has been replaced.
5. Hold the key to START and it runs fine though it throws a lot of random codes.

Trouble-shooting:
We all know the broken record by now, CHECK YOUR GROUNDS. Ok, now use this bit of info that I ran across on about day #9. This is what grounds to where. Thanks rustyguns.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...&postcount=419

Note that G105 is the ground for the oil level sensor, fuel pump relay and O2 sensors... all of which I had problems with. That was my very first guess at what was causing this problem since I knew about the grounds from dealing with it last Fall. No idea why but my car fixed itself for 5 months and 1500 miles, until last week.

Now, here is where I really messed up. Thanks Bill Curlee

A nice 2-D diagram for a 3-D car. My first thought, "oh ok, G105 is talking about the grounding strap on the driver's side of the engine". Would have bet my life on it.. the damn line points right at it. No No No.. this is NOT G105. G105 is ON THE BLOCK, UNDER THE CAR.

It's right here but imagine there was a bolt there. This is how we found mine, bolt gone with the wind. Imagine the relief and disguist when we found this after 11 days of trouble-shooting and wasting time/money on fixing the car.

5 minutes later, new bolt in there with a lock washer and lock tite. Fuel pump primes, codes gone, car runs normally. End of story.

Moral of the story - if one person learns from this experience and doesn't waste 11 days of their life looking at the wrong thing with G105, it was worth my 10 minutes to type all this out

Last edited by saw22; 04-19-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Awsum98
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default great Advice

thanks for the input about your problem, I would never think of looking for ground under the block, I'm going to check mine out this weekend !!
Old 04-19-2008, 08:47 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

This is good! Thanks for the info!

Sorry it took so long to find that one! Now since you inspected every other ground you should be good for another twenty years or so

Thanks,Matt
Old 04-19-2008, 08:51 PM
saw22
Instructor

Haha, I sure hope so.. I still can't believe how much time, effort and money I wasted and it was a FREE 5 minute fix.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Boosted04Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Awsum98
thanks for the input about your problem, I would never think of looking for ground under the block, I'm going to check mine out this weekend !!
I am having issues where I am getting codes p0135 and P0155....and my #15 fuse blows whenver I start the car cold (when the heater for the 02 system is activated). I am killing myself trying to figure this out, one thing I noticed I did diff.....I have the ground strap on the drivers side bolted to the same bolt you have the o2 sensor ground bolted to...g105, will this cause an issue?

Dustin
Old 06-03-2008, 06:16 PM
saw22
Instructor

Sorry, I hadn't checked this thread for a long time. I hope you figured it out by now. I don't see where that would cause that problem, though.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

G105 was my prob too! The people on this forum are great!

Get notified of new replies

To Benefit from My Hindsight with Starting/Stalling Problems

Quick Reply: Benefit from My Hindsight with Starting/Stalling Problems