C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 02:12 AM
Jim 77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel questions

OK, time for the questions I always thought were too stupid to even ask. Here goes...
The lug nuts on my wheels don't insure that the wheel lines up perfectly centered. Why not? One of my wheels is a little off, and I will fix it. But I can only tell because my center caps are out... any tricks? Am I the only one who has trouble with this?
If I upgraded to 17" rallys, the new wheels would weigh much more than my current 15" aluminum. Lets say the difference is 25 pounds. Is there some rule of physics that says 25 pounds of rotating weight hurts performance more than a 25 pound bag of sand in the passenger seat? If so, would the difference be so great I would notice?
And now the really dumb one... how come tires use the metric system for width, and standard for diameter?
Jim
Old 12-14-2001, 02:24 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Wheel questions (Jim 77)

I can answer one of your questions... I think

The weight difference will add to the overall weight of your car, so yes it will affect performance... But, most improtantly it will affect the responsiveness of your handling, By adding more unsprung weight (weight that is not carried by the suspension) you will feel the difference in cornering and espiecially when braking, your stopping distances will be increased quite a bit...

Dang! that was a bunch of big words. :crazy:
Old 12-14-2001, 02:29 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wheel questions (Desertdawg)

if a 600 lb lady falls in the woods....

...does anyone hear her?

:confused: :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel questions

Quick Reply: Wheel questions