C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glassing in the rear valence panel

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 12:08 AM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Glassing in the rear valence panel

Hey guys,
My car was originally undercar, but when I found out what it would cost to get 2.5" mandrel, I said "Show me the sidepipes" So now I want to glass over my rear valence panel holes, and fill the whole thing in. This will be my first experience with fiberglass, so obviously it's a new experience, but I think I've gotten most of the information that's out there (especially corvettefaq.com). The only question I have is what is the technique for filling in large (2") gaps. I read a document on how to splice into a spoiler, he was filling a large gap, but he used fiberglass pieces INSIDE the spoiler. Do I just fill the gap with glass mat and then do a LOT of sanding down?

Any other pointers to documents on the web or otherwise? Also what's a good place to buy all the materials needed for a project like this?

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2001, 12:42 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: Glassing in the rear valence panel (ddn)

I used Ecklers filler panel on my 71. Some have made their own fillers just for the exhaust ports. It can be done either way.

Dave

Old 12-14-2001, 12:46 AM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Glassing in the rear valence panel (Rolling Thunder)

Rolling Thunder: Since I already have a valence, I'd rather not spend the money on a new one with the only difference being the cut outs. Plus, fiberglass is pretty easy to work with (relatively, not that I have ever done it or have any experience) and I figure the holes and gap crack can be glassed in quite nicely.

Nice cars BTW!
Old 12-14-2001, 12:57 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Thanks ddn, the 71 still has a long ways to go.

I'm on the backside of the fiberglass learning curve (most of it the hard way :D ) and if I were going to fill an existing valance, I think I would make a backing surface (cardboard, etc) placed on the inside of the valance and then just build my mat layers over it. After about the second layer, I'd remove the backing and build on the inside. Once you have a good solid surface you can sand down the exterior and lay on the final couple of layers to build it out to the existing surface. Biggest thing is to roll the air out of it.

If you don't have one, get Ecklers book "Complete Guide to Fiberglass Repair".

Give me a shout if I can help.
Dave
Old 12-14-2001, 01:13 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Glassing in the rear valence panel (Rolling Thunder)

I agree with Rolling Thunder. Making a support area on the backside is almost always my first step. One thing that really helps me with backside finishing is the use of "peel ply". Basically it's just using a piece of dacron (shower curtain material) over the last layer and the surrounding area. It should be fully wet out and let harden completely. It can then be pulled off and will leave a smooth, fiber free surface that is already feathered into the surrounding area.

I'll be having the same problem soon as I expect to add side exhaust. However, I haven't decided if I will glass the hole up or put a custom set of back-up lights in there.
Old 12-14-2001, 01:39 AM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

I just finished this modification to my 69. I bought the Ecklers side exhaust filler rear valance. I glassed in all the seams to make the rear end look like one complete piece. I think it looks fantastic this way and provides additional structural strength to fight those unwanted spider vien cracks. You can go to my website and see detailed pictures. :seeya

[Modified by ScubaJKD, 7:14 AM 12/14/2001]
Old 12-14-2001, 09:01 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Glassing in the rear valence panel (ScubaJKD)

I just filled in mine last summer. I had bought a new filler panel but the fit was horrible! So I made my own filler panel, like Rolling Thunder, and it looks great,

One thing to remember is that the seam is supposed to be straight ( Factory style ). In other words you need to fill 1/2 of the hole on the fender and the other half on the Valance panel!

The ecklers type panels don't fill it 'right' and you end up with a seam that curves around the old opening. I'll be re-doing mine this summer! :rolleyes:
Old 12-14-2001, 09:09 AM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Glassing in the rear valence panel (427V8)

427V8: You're right, resto-riginal would be with the straight seam going down. But since mine isn't, and won't be, I plan to glass the whole thing over with no seam at all. Looks GOOD when it's done right...a couple people on the Forum have done it.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:19 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Buy an aftermarket panel with the exhaust outlets already filled. Eckler's makes them. The swap is essentially bolt in. Save your original panel.
:)

Get notified of new replies

To Glassing in the rear valence panel

Quick Reply: Glassing in the rear valence panel