C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock rod bolt limitations related to RPM or power?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 04:54 AM
SilentFright
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock rod bolt limitations related to RPM or power?

I am very interested in the topic of LS1/LS6 connecting rod bolt limitations, as it seems there are many threads currently open on this subject. To get to the point I was curious as to if these "limitations" were only due to increased rpm over stock? Or on the other hand were the bolts limited by a certain amount of torque/horsepower?

I can see where the higher rpm would obviously come into play, but what if you maintained your stock red-line and had say 478rwhp. Would the OEM rod bolts be at risk? My reasoning brings me to the conclusion that both factors could individually exceed the stock bolt's limits because they both create more tensile stress. But I could be wrong.

Thanks,

Last edited by SilentFright; 04-18-2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:52 AM
FRCTony
Drifting

I would say RPM is the largest factor.

Most stress otherwise would occur on high RPM "deceleration", because all the load is placed on the rod bolts and caps during this period.

Avoid that by clutching in and you should be fine.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:15 PM
LT1GMC
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

RPM for sure, when the piston is making all the power, it is pushing down, not stressing the bolt and cap so much. The RPM load on the cap and bolt is on the intake stroke, when the crank is pulling the piston back down along with the fresh intake charge. That is where the rod is trying to separate at the cap part line, thereby increasing the load with higher speed.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

RPM no doubt.

Most failures of this nature occur when free-revving or decelerating (engine not under load).

Old 04-18-2008, 09:56 PM
FullOutPwr
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
RPM no doubt.

Most failures of this nature occur when free-revving or decelerating (engine not under load).

Interesting.... I'd assume that it'd be the exact opposite and that it'd take a load to cause more strain than no load at all. IE: a winch... easy to spool and pull in cable with no load, but as soon as you put a 5,000 pound load on the winch cable it could go down hill from there.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:08 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

RPM no doubt.

OR Grabbing 2nd gear after 3rd at 90mph
Old 04-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by FullOutPwr
Interesting.... I'd assume that it'd be the exact opposite and that it'd take a load to cause more strain than no load at all. IE: a winch... easy to spool and pull in cable with no load, but as soon as you put a 5,000 pound load on the winch cable it could go down hill from there.
Not really a good comparison, but since you brought it up...winch your truck DOWN a hill sometime...will it descend at the constant, controlled speed of the winch, or will the momentum of the falling weight cause it to overrun the winch?

(don't further confuse this with worm vs spur gear winch differences).

The point being, is a winch is designed to pull a load, not push one. Just like a rod bolt is fine when being pushed...not so fine when being pulled.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:42 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not really a good comparison, but since you brought it up...winch your truck DOWN a hill sometime...will it descend at the constant, controlled speed of the winch, or will the momentum of the falling weight cause it to overrun the winch?

(don't further confuse this with worm vs spur gear winch differences).

The point being, is a winch is designed to pull a load, not push one. Just like a rod bolt is fine when being pushed...not so fine when being pulled.

good analogy
Old 04-19-2008, 01:26 AM
SilentFright
Drifting

Great responses everyone! I think I will bypass the installation of some Katech rod bolts then .

Get notified of new replies

To Stock rod bolt limitations related to RPM or power?

Quick Reply: Stock rod bolt limitations related to RPM or power?