C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crate engine source/cost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 06:49 PM
MGN54
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crate engine source/cost?

Hey all,

Been doing a little research/thinking of getting into a C3. Seen several ads saying needs engine rebuild or just a new enging. I will not be using this car as a daily driver. Weekends and for fun and I don't mind doing work myself and I am a fairly competent (although not formally trained) with my tools. (Thanks Dad!)

Was wondering if I found the right car, what could one expect to pay for a crate engine? And a source. Not a modded one but pretty stock set up. Also, I am assuming that one would need to transfer parts from the other engine such as water pump, alternator etc. Haven't gotten for enough into the crate engine possiblity to know yet.

TIA
Mark

Old 12-13-2001, 06:54 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Crate engine source/cost? (MGN54)

man GM crate engines ROCK!!!

i was stupid and didnt get one :cry :cry :cry (maybe for xmas?? :rolleyes: )

bleh

they start as cheap as 2k and go all the way up to like 8k!!

some create engines even come with spark plug wires and dist and every #$@$@ thing already on it...

just depends how many $$ u got to flash...

the 350 HO engines go for 3k or soo... thats a good buy...

then theres the FB 385.....
Old 12-13-2001, 06:58 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Go to my website I have in the links section several custom engine builders and crate motor builders listed for you to check out. My list is based upon positive feedback or personal knowledge of the company. Having now gone the other way and custom built my own 383 stroker I would have to admitt that if I was doing it all over again I would have bought a complete crate motor. How much your going to spend depends completely on what size motor you want and how much you want it to perform. Speed=Money. Personally I am really diggin the Bill Mitchell Hard Core Racing Motown 415 and 427 small blocks running from $7,500 - $9,500 complete. Well built, great reputation, dyno tested before shipping, and WARRANTY.

However for something a little less radical I would probably go with the new GM crate motors. They are fantastic. The ZZ4 maybe just your ticket, and for $3,300 bucks they are darn hard to beat. Let us know what you decide. :seeya
Old 12-13-2001, 06:59 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it depends on what year car we're talking about. If there is such a thing as a "standard" Corvette type engine, this would be it. A standard GM Goodwrench 350 cubic inch 250 horsepower for around $1300. See it here: http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?act...id=128&pid=110 Click the "crate engine" link at the top of the page to see other models.

Most Vette owners want something hotter, so they go with a GM ZZ4 crate or something similar (around $3500).

Most crates come as a complete engine, so they include components like carburators, water pumps, and ignition. They don't include external components like fans, alternators, belts, power steering pumps, ac compressors, etc.

Hope this helps,

-Joe

[Modified by Flareside, 6:03 PM 12/13/2001]
Old 12-14-2001, 12:56 AM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: Crate engine source/cost? (Flareside)

http://www.paceparts.com
Flareside: are you sure they come with a carb
Cruz :confused:
Old 12-14-2001, 01:15 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Crate engine source/cost? (Cruzmeisters)

the gm goodwrencher doesnt come with an intake, carb, dist, waterpump, starter...etc..

but what do u want for that priee???

Old 12-14-2001, 02:01 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Crate engine source/cost? (Flareside)

I got a GM GW350 and I hate it.
250 hp my butt. It feels just like the stock L-48 did, maybe a little quicker, but probably from the performer intake I put on. If you get that motor, you absolutely MUST swap out the heads and cam before installing it in anything... heh. It would be better just to build a motor from scratch.
-Steve
Old 12-14-2001, 11:08 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Crate engine source/cost? (Pacin'California)

hey wasnt there a cool article on the internet where they built a 500 HP engine from a gm goodwrencher crate engine???

Old 12-14-2001, 05:01 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crate engine source/cost? (daily_driver)

Quote:

"hey wasnt there a cool article on the internet where they built a 500 HP engine from a gm goodwrencher crate engine???"

Believe it was a series done by Chevy High Performance Magazine this last yearl

They beat the h_ll out of a GM Goodwrench motor on the dyno testing multiple cam, header, intake and head combinations.

Belive they came close to 400 HP with Chevy Vortec iron heads, cam, intake and header combination. Pretty impressive.

Rather that the Goodwrench 350, would go with the HO 330 which has the Vortec heads and costs around $2000.

Get notified of new replies

To Crate engine source/cost?

Quick Reply: Crate engine source/cost?