C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZZ4 Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 06:29 PM
72Shark
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ZZ4 Install Questions

Got my sights set on a ZZ4 for X-mas! Important questions however:
1. Will my headers fit? Just got 'em, Dynomax Ceramacote headers. The ZZ4 has angle plugs, my current heads have straight plugs. Also, the ZZ$ head have "raised exhaust floors??" Any problems with my headers???

2. Will my current tach drive distributor work?? Hope so, just installed the Pertronix ignitor. Do I need a new drive gear to match the "steel" roller cam??

3. Water pump on the ZZ4. Will I need a new one/will my pump off my existing engine fit??

4. Hood clearance?? Any problems here?? Looks like there will be but any feedback is appreciated. Remember, I do not have as much room as '73's and later!!

5. Carb?? My Q-jet is newly rebuilt (<500 miles), and runs great. Do I need to replace???

6. CAM - go for the HOTCAM??? Price and value??

Thanks for your advice!!! Webpage links to 68-72 ZZ4 installs would be appreciated!!!
Old 12-13-2001, 06:58 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ZZ4 Install Questions (72Shark)

isnt that pertronix stuff crap??

people say its failing em left and right... like after 2k miles...

whuts up with that??
Old 12-13-2001, 07:10 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Couple of notes. I believe you have the short style water pump and the ZZ4 comes with the long style water pump. Also the distributer on the ZZ4 is HEI but it is not a tach drive so it wont work with your tach which requires the cable to drive it. I went MSD Pro Billet Tach Drive and have been very happy. Dont have any experience with Petronix. I am not sure what CFM your carb is but I would check the recommended specs for the ZZ4 before bolting it on. You should be fine with a 650cfm carb. May even be worth spending a couple hundred bucks and getting a new Edelbrock. :seeya PS yes your should need a new gear drive for the roller cam.

[Modified by ScubaJKD, 5:11 PM 12/13/2001]
Old 12-13-2001, 07:17 PM
SEE3ER
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

PS----------Pertronix ROCKS! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Had it in for over a year, no problemo, hotter spark, and easier starts, no points , no hassles! :D :D :D
Old 12-13-2001, 09:20 PM
74ZZ430
Instructor

You can use your stock distributor but you will need to change to a melonized drive gear, they are listed in the GM HP catalog. You can also use a bronze gear but they wear out sooner.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:05 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

1. Will my headers fit? Just got 'em, Dynomax Ceramacote headers. The ZZ4 has angle plugs, my current heads have straight plugs. Also, the ZZ$ head have "raised exhaust floors??" Any problems with my headers???

ZZ4 Heads also have the "D" shaped exhaust port. I'm not saying your headers won't work but Hedman makes headers for ZZ4's. You can get them for Jim Pace coated or not coated. Thats what I put on my ZZ4.

2. Will my current tach drive distributor work?? Hope so, just installed the Pertronix ignitor. Do I need a new drive gear to match the "steel" roller cam??

Yes it will work but change the gear. Get a melonized one like mentioned above. DO NOT RUN THE GEAR THAT IS ON YOUR DISTRIBUTOR NOW IT WILL SHEAD METAL AND RUIN YOUR NEW ENGINE

3. Water pump on the ZZ4. Will I need a new one/will my pump off my existing engine fit??

Your exsisting pump will fit just as all accessories. You need to dry fit it because you are going to have to grind down one of the timing chain cover bolt heads a little. No big deal you'll figure it out. ZZ4's are universal...meaning they have all the bolt holes to use in any GM car that came with a small block.

4. Hood clearance?? Any problems here?? Looks like there will be but any feedback is appreciated. Remember, I do not have as much room as '73's and later!!

I have the q-jet and my stock dual snorkle air cleaner installed and there are no clearance problems. I don't know if there would be any with a Holley or Deamon but the Edlebrock q-jet replacement shouldn't have any problems fitting.

5. Carb?? My Q-jet is newly rebuilt (<500 miles), and runs great. Do I need to replace???

Keep it. It will run great with the q-jet. I think that is the carb GM used to DYNO the ZZ4....I may be mistaken though. I run my q-jet and it works just fine.

I didn't do it but it can be done anytime...someday....its a matter of opinion though. If you really want it now then get it.

Thanks for your advice!!! Webpage links to 68-72 ZZ4 installs would be appreciated!!!

If you are runing an automatic the ZZ4 comes with the flexplate. If you have a 4 speed you'll need to buy a flywheel. The ZZ4 is a 1 piece main seal crank so your old 4 speed flywheel won't work. The 2 piece main bolt pattern is 3.58 inches and the 1 piece bolt pattern is 3 inches. Make sure you get the proper diameter flywheel and also ring gear tooth count.
Good luck and Merry Christmas to you Your gonna love that engine
:D
John

[Modified by theandies, 8:07 PM 12/13/2001]
Old 12-14-2001, 12:46 AM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: ZZ4 Install Questions (theandies)

I've had the Pertronix and Flamethrower coil on the '57 Pink/Linc for over a year and it sure helps fire up those 20W50 oil-soaked plugs! :D
Cruz
Old 12-14-2001, 04:29 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Check to see if Dynomax says "with angle plugs". If so, they should work. Don't worry about the "raised floors". You will actually be giving it a larger pipe than it needs, but not so much that it will cause problems. I have read a GM performance letter that said dyno testing with regular headers showed no loss of performance.
2. Will my current tach drive distributor work?? Hope so, just installed the Pertronix ignitor. Do I need a new drive gear to match the "steel" roller cam??No, the current one will not work. It is a roller cam and will need the special gear at the end of it. Once that is done it should work just fine. Check with GM on this

3. Water pump on the ZZ4. Will I need a new one/will my pump off my existing engine fit?? Existing one will fit. I do recommend the Edelbrock aluminum pump

4. Hood clearance?? Any problems here?? Looks like there will be but any feedback is appreciated. Remember, I do not have as much room as '73's and later!! On my 1980, using stock equipment, I have at least 1/2 inch clearance

5. Carb?? My Q-jet is newly rebuilt (<500 miles), and runs great. Do I need to replace??? Depends on the size of QJet. If it is in the 650 - 800 CFM range it should work fine. May need some new rear metering rods and the typical adjustments. My stock one works fine, but does need some tuning for max. performance.

Don't have it, didn't have the money and gives me room for upgrades later

Thanks for your advice!!! Webpage links to 68-72 ZZ4 installs would be appreciated!!! See my ZZ4 swap page at http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/bseery//zz41.htm -- this covers each and every problem I ran into, the source for my parts and other comments about the install.
Good luck to you !! This is REALLY worth the work
Old 12-14-2001, 10:28 AM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: ZZ4 Install Questions (theandies)

I can only add a couple of things to BSeery & theandies posts... I've got a 795 Q-Jet with the metering rods swapped out. It works great. (I know. Some people will say, "Use a Holley." "Use this." "Use that"... What I'm saying is I got a Q-Jet and it works for me. You may want a Holley or Demon or whatever.) (Man, I'm super - crabby this morning.)

The other thing is that nobody's mentioned Hooker Super Comp Headers. I've got them and they work fine.

They've covered everthing else pretty well. I did change out the clutch when mine went in. I'd recommend looking CLOSELY at your radiator. I had to come back and change mine out about a year after the engine swap and if I'd really looked at the radiator, I could have saved myself a lot of grief.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:58 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: ZZ4 Install Questions (Mack76)

Mack you weren't having cooling problems were you? I remember talking to you a couple of years ago after I installed my ZZ4 and we were discussing how cool they ZZ4 ran. What happend to your rad???
Old 12-14-2001, 11:27 AM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: ZZ4 Install Questions (Mike69)

Nope... No cooling problems. The dang thing just started leaking. If I'd looked closely at it when the engine was out, I'da seen that it was going to leak real soon. I wish I'da took a picture of it before I junked it. The upper tubes were rotted out where they tie into the tanks. I mean it was obvious, if I had just turned around and looked closely toward the front of the car, instead of always looking at the engine and connections to the transmission, etc.

It's still running cool with the new radiator. :D
Old 12-14-2001, 03:58 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Pictures of my ZZ4 with the stock air cleaner installed in my 71 Convertible

John

[Modified by theandies, 1:59 PM 12/14/2001]
Old 12-14-2001, 04:05 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: ZZ4 Install Questions (SEE3ER)

PS----------Pertronix ROCKS! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Had it in for over a year, no problemo, hotter spark, and easier starts, no points , no hassles! :D :D :D
Pertronix Sux i had two of them fail me in less than a year..one after 2k....STAY AWAY.....I hear moroso has a great unit however
Old 12-14-2001, 05:48 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: ZZ4 Install Questions (Alwyn678)

Sweet pictures of the ZZ4. That is what I want. It looks very nice in the engine compartment with the stock air cleaner. I have a 75 and I really want one. I am going to be pulling the radiator soon and have the hood off. I am seriously considering the engine swap at the same time. But I have some questions as well.

I have the stock tranny and it works good (4 speed). I have heard that it is easier to pull the entire transmission + engine. I figure that I will replace the clutch when the motor is out but I don't know if I should pull the tranny or just replace the clutch with the motor out?

[Modified by flood, 3:50 PM 12/14/2001]

[Modified by flood, 3:50 PM 12/14/2001]
Old 12-15-2001, 12:24 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Default Re: ZZ4 Install Questions (flood)

I pulled and installed the engine and tranny as one unit. Its the easiest way unless you have a lift and tranny jack.
John
Old 12-15-2001, 12:40 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Nope... No cooling problems. The dang thing just started leaking. If I'd looked closely at it when the engine was out, I'da seen that it was going to leak real soon. I wish I'da took a picture of it before I junked it. The upper tubes were rotted out where they tie into the tanks. I mean it was obvious, if I had just turned around and looked closely toward the front of the car, instead of always looking at the engine and connections to the transmission, etc.

It's still running cool with the new radiator. :D
Mack it sounds like our cars could be brothers... I had the same situation here! The top row almost came off in my hand! I took pics... but I'll be damned if I can find them right now.

Either way 72 Shark you are gonna love this motor!

Good luck with the swap! :cool:
Old 12-19-2001, 06:13 PM
72Shark
Pro

Default Re: ZZ4 Install Questions (Mike69)

Sounds WWAAAYYYYY too easy...so I gotta do it!!! Doin' the HOT cam too I guess. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To ZZ4 Install Questions

Quick Reply: ZZ4 Install Questions