C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Door Fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 04:00 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Wiper Door Fix

About a month ago I posted a problem I was having with my wiper door cycling open then close when I started my engine and also if I turned on the wipers using the switch or opened the door with the over-ride under the steering column the door would stay open. Here is what I found. I noticed a hissing sound coming from under the dash and upon further investigation I could place my finger over what I though was a vent port on the vacuum/electrical solenoid on the back of the tach and the door would close. When I removed my finger from the port the door would immediately open back up. I think my solenoid is bad because I "technical tapped" :smash: and it work just fine for a few cycles. I lived with that for a few weeks and even started looking for a used solenoid but this morning I just decided to put a plug on the port to see what would happen. This seems to have fixed any wiper door problem: the open/close on start-up and the door won't close after it opens. I was wondering if this port is suppose to be capped off or is it now just masking my bad solenoid. Could any of you guys/gals look under your dash to see if you have this port capped or not, I am curious now. Either way I am going to keep it as it is until some other problem arises.

Thanks
John

[Modified by theandies, 2:02 PM 12/13/2001]
Old 12-13-2001, 05:29 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Wiper Door Fix (theandies)

John,

I'm going from memory here, but I'm nearly 100% sure that there are only two vacuum lines to that solenoid, and the end "nipple" is sealed. I'll go out in the garage later and look under the dash to make sure.

Shannon
Old 12-13-2001, 05:43 PM
Garys '68
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's supposed to be a vent and 2 vacuum lines to the solenoid. It sounds like either the solenoid is bad or it's hooked up wrong. You may want to check that it's correctly plumbed and in the correct orientation. Good time to check for leaks too.
Gary
Old 12-13-2001, 10:15 PM
BLT-71
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, make sure it is plumbed correctly, I made that mistake when I redid my dash. But if it is okay.
Let me know if that one is bad.
I think I can set you up with another.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:32 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Wiper Door Fix (BLT-71)

hmmmmmmm........ umph......phtk!!! OK!!! mine would appear to be uncapped!!! Now, how do I get it back up behind the tach??? :eek: ?? Mine doesnt really prove anything since my wipers dont work. The door works ok, tho... :) MJ

Old 12-14-2001, 12:31 AM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Wiper Door Fix (MNJack)

As Gary said, there are only two vac lines to the solenoid. The port straight out the back is a vent that has no connection. I have my entire dash apart as we speak. Yellow stripe vacuum hose on front port goes to a tee which splits to headlight switch and check valve and white hose on the back 90 degree port (next to the vent) goes to vacuum sw under the dash.

Mark
Old 12-14-2001, 12:41 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Wiper Door Fix (BLT-71)

[QUOTE]Yes, make sure it is plumbed correctly, I made that mistake when I redid my dash. But if it is okay.
Let me know if that one is bad.
I think I can set you up with another.[/QUOT]

It is plumbed correctly so It must be a bad solenoid. It must be why it works for a while after I do the old "technical :smash: tap" BLT-71 I'll take you up on your offer. How much do you want? It will have to be after Christmas though....going to the folks tomorrow. I do have access to a computer there so keep me posted on the good Forum and Thanks again for all to good responses.
John

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper Door Fix

Quick Reply: Wiper Door Fix