C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Priced a fuel pump for a sunfire lately?!?!?!?!/!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 03:18 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody Priced a fuel pump for a sunfire lately?!?!?!?!/!?!?!

holy %$&#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$572.59 CA

or approx $350 american.

Time to search carparts.com see...........$313.75

Thats about 1/10 of the cars worth in the fuel pump

I think its time to move the fuel pump factory to mexico so they can get that cheap labour.

At least its warm today for a junkyard search.
Old 12-13-2001, 03:52 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anybody Priced a fuel pump for a sunfire lately?!?!?!?!/!?!?! (MikeC)

Priced a new 140A alternator for a 1991 BMW 525i lately? We're in the $ame ballpark. And there are no generic$--gotta get the $pecific Valeo or Bo$ch part number.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:10 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Anybody Priced a fuel pump for a sunfire lately?!?!?!?!/!?!?! (The Dude)

Wow makes that $200 high output electric pump for the Vette seem like a good deal!
Old 12-13-2001, 04:20 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anybody Priced a fuel pump for a sunfire lately?!?!?!?!/!?!?! (427V8)

Thats what I'm thinking 427, I can rice out my wifes sunfire with a holley electric pump...... That should alone be worth 25 HP, if I put the stickers on it another 25HP. That should knock a couple of seconds off its 17 sec quarter mile time.

But seriously, I think thats what I am going to do, are the aftermarket fuel pumps able to produce 47-50 PSI fuel pressure?
Old 12-13-2001, 04:28 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Anybody Priced a fuel pump for a sunfire lately?!?!?!?!/!?!?! (MikeC)

Well, number one, never go to a dealer for any parts....second, there are generic lines of DPFI fule pumps that cost no more than 80 bucks at Auto Zone....and can easily be adapted to work in any car...have the pressure and delivery covered......they are most allways marked with an E and 4 following digits...search for one that fits closely...they mount outside the tank...so just do the obvious...for 500 bucks net after taxes, you can figger it out....

Old 12-13-2001, 04:34 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: Anybody Priced a fuel pump for a sunfire lately?!?!?!?!/!?!?! (The Dude)

Dude, those expensive european alternators are worked around also...I did it on a Volvo powered boat once....the key is a standard 'one wire' GM SI series alternator....might have to change mountings, but guaranteed I WILL do that in a heartbeat well before paying those outlandish prices for a simple alternator...

You know, this is a prime example of under employed engineers trying to justify jobs by reinventing the wheel....no bullpoopie about it....an alternator is an alternator, just put out about 120 or so amps and be done with it...all the rest is guilding the lilly....so MY attitude is....take that damn lilly and smelt it down to the base metal.....and simplify the car....
Old 12-13-2001, 06:05 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anybody Priced a fuel pump for a sunfire lately?!?!?!?!/!?!?! (mrvette)

Mrvette, none of those prices are from the dealer..... he was $690CA. I phoned the performance shop around here but no luck, I don't think they are very familiar with the import scene, but I figure I can get a pump and adapt it to what I have..... I would rather have a direct replacement but there is no way in hell I am paying that price.

I think I'll head to Candian Tire and look for a pump that I can use.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:25 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Gad, I need go into the fuel pump business...jeez oh wee...man that thing is nothing more tha about 1/4 of a power window motor...draws about 4-5 amps running, if that....and a stupid impeller....all sealed in a high volume stamp them out aluminum tube, OH, I forget....a connection on top...wonderful.....talk about a high profit item at 80 bucks.....at those prices you mention, it's time to get an AK and go hunting for crooks....
Old 12-13-2001, 06:38 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Default Re: Anybody Priced a fuel pump for a sunfire lately?!?!?!?!/!?!?! (mrvette)

Dude, those expensive european alternators are worked around also...I did it on a Volvo powered boat once....the key is a standard 'one wire' GM SI series alternator....might have to change mountings, but guaranteed I WILL do that in a heartbeat well before paying those outlandish prices for a simple alternator...
Don't think I haven't considered going GM. I would, too, if I were a machinist. It's hard to explain without a pic, but there are several obstacles to making a conversion--the different wiring between the two units would be the easiest of several to overcome. Basically I'm hosed. But it's a great car. It really is. it really is. It really is....
Old 12-13-2001, 07:08 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Wow, thats expensive for a FUNSIRE. :lol: Dodge full size fuel pumps are outrageous as well, and between our 3 trucks, we have changed 4 of them in the past 6 years. :mad
Old 12-13-2001, 07:27 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Rear shocks for a Mazda 626=$300.00CDN each. AC DEloco Reacteks for my Corvette=$35.00CDN each.
Old 12-13-2001, 08:05 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Anybody Priced a fuel pump for a sunfire lately?!?!?!?!/!?!?! (71,454,4spd)

between our 3 trucks, we have changed 4 of them in the past 6 years. :mad
geez!!! :confused: fuel pumps? alternators? When my car breaks I just buy a new one! :) MJ
Old 12-14-2001, 12:17 AM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Mike: It has to be an EFI pump to supply the 50PSI, but any EFI pump can handle that. Go aftermarket!!

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody Priced a fuel pump for a sunfire lately?!?!?!?!/!?!?!

Quick Reply: Anybody Priced a fuel pump for a sunfire lately?!?!?!?!/!?!?!