C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need general info on everything!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 11:41 PM
IWantAC3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need general info on everything!!

I dought(sp) anyone remembers me but I signed up here a few months back and then quit looking here for a while so a quick who I am again. I want to get a c3 corvette and use it as my daily driver. I don't have my liscense yet, I have about a year, I always loved the 3rd gen. corvette's and recently(last 6 mos.) realized how affordable they really are. I don't even have a vette yet, just doing some early homework trying to really find out what is involved.

I realize I can get a decent running driveable vette from the late 70's to early 80's(been looking on internet) for 5-8 thousand dollars. Since it will be a daily driver/primary vehicle when I get my liscense it has to be reliable.
So here are my questions:

I have seen documentation from a few of you of frame off restoration, which I would love to do because I can learn alot about the car, I love spending hours on end working on stuff in my garage, and I can find/fix any problems I find. I know this would be a big step involving lots of time. but exactly how much time are we talking about and what kind of tools are involved other then just ordinary stuff (I already have a bsic set off tools including all the wrenches socets and stuff but all the real power tools I have that I think I could use is air powered impact wrench and the sort, no welder, or grinders or anything)

I will have more questions later but it is getting late and I need to get off the computer. Thanks in advance for your help.

[Modified by IWantAC3, 9:50 PM 12/13/2001]
Old 12-12-2001, 11:46 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Need general info on everything!! (IWantAC3)

reliability for 5-8k???

probably not!

but if you buy one of those, i suggest a cheap year like the 76 or 77 (cheap to purchase that is....)

these cars can be made to be reliable....as long as you keep up on things...

preventive maintenance..

dont drive it till something breaks!!

do a complete checkover once a month and itll be pretty darn reliable!!...

ive driven mine almost ~86K miles already!!

:cheers: :cheers:
Old 12-13-2001, 05:49 PM
IWantAC3
Intermediate

Default Re: Need general info on everything!! (daily_driver)

Let me rephrase the reliable part: I have seen decnt vettes for5-8k, and after I got done restoring it I would expect it to be reliable.

The only problems I see so far are, how reliable will a 20-25 year old engine be, Since I cant afford a big block car it will not have a terrible amount of power, and I have heard from a few of you that with the stock gearing and tranny that cruzin' along at 80mph can get thr rpm on up there. And these problems I think I found a relitivley cheap solution to. There are always people selling lt1/ls1 engines and transmissions that they pulled out wrecked firebirds and camaros, and they go for about 1200-1500 dollars. As far as I can tell this should work fine in a C3, or am I overlooking a problem here.Thanks for your help.

[Modified by IWantAC3, 9:49 PM 12/13/2001]
Old 12-13-2001, 06:29 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

If you buy one for 5-8K you can expect to put that much into it to make it a daily reliable driver. This is a gross oversimplification but not a bad rule of thumb. I am at the tail in of my complete restoration working my butt off on it and having professional help I am 9 months into the process and I have spent alot more than I paid for the car in modifications and restoration. I would recommend you buy this book. It is one of the best ones I have read to get you up to speed on buying, restoring and modifying a C3. Hope this help.
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?d...&pf%5Fid=31950

Also you can go to my website. Lots of links on stuff you should check out. :cheers: Keep us posted
Old 12-13-2001, 06:31 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

depends how hard you drive it..

my grandma has an old cutlass with a 350 in it.. (69 i think...)

and it has almost 200k miles!

and the engine is sooooooooooo strong still!!

:lol: :lol:
Old 12-13-2001, 06:33 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

yes c3's with th 350's and i have 3.7 gears and i cruise at 80 at about 3000 RPM/.....

i dont think thats so high.....

you could put in a 4speed if you want something better... or change the gearing....

it might be alot simpler fix to change the rear end gearing than changing out the hwole engine/tranny combo
Old 12-13-2001, 08:28 PM
IWantAC3
Intermediate

Default Re: Need general info on everything!! (ScubaJKD)

Scubajkd:
When you said you spent as much in the restoration as you did on the car was that additional mods that you didn't really need, or was that just what it took to get it to be a good driver, also are you including the engine in that or not, I am guessing that engine wasen't real cheap. Like I siad earlier I think I can get the engine and transmission covered with $1500 by getting an lt1 off ebay. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2001, 08:37 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Yes I spent alot on restoration but I am probably not a very good gauge because I have gone off the deep end. I could have spent less on alot of things but opted for alot of modifications. IE not just rebuilding the motor but building a 383. Not just rebuilding the tranny but going with lightwieght flywheel, centerforce II clutch, and new hurst shifter.

Best advise I can give you is be patient and be willing to walk away. Read up on how to evaluate a C3 and have your goals set for what you want in terms of quality when you buy. Also be very realistic in your own abilities, time, and money that you have available to dedicate to a C3.

Every C3 is a project. So if you want one as a driver day one, shop well. It will save you a ton in the long run. I have seen several guys post prospective C3 purchases on the forum to help them evaluate the car and price.

I have also seen where forum members were willing to go with a new buyer to help them establish condition and a fair price.

Reading is a great place to start but there is no susbtitute for experience. Let me know if I can help. :seeya
Old 12-13-2001, 09:12 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Sounds like you are on the right track! Keep your eye on the C3 for sale section of this forum. There is a real nice 77 for sale right now - a distress sale for $6500, that looks like it will be a real bargain for someone. Some others listed there look nice also. LT1 engines have been put in these cars, but I dont think it is a simple swap. There are some issues to deal with (transmission? computers?). If you can deal with that, great, but there are some inexpensive crate engines that will pop right in if you need a new engine. There is no reason why you couldnt find a nice 77 - 79 with a healthy engine in it. Keep looking, look at as many vettes as you can, and you will begin to recognize value when you see it. MJ

Additional stuff you already know:

1. Be real careful buying anything on Ebay, but especially a $1200+ item!!(engine). Forum members have ended up with grossly misrepresented items or...... no item at all!!!!

2. You need a decent floor jack and jackstands. A set of ramps is nice too.

[Modified by MNJack, 8:16 PM 12/13/2001]
Old 12-13-2001, 09:23 PM
IWantAC3
Intermediate

If I went with a little bit nicer vette maybe 10-12k range could I have a good reliable daily driver with just engine/tranny swap/rebuild and not a full restoration? Like I said before I am just a teenager that has loved c3's since I was like 8 years old, and decided that I realistically could buy one, I dont need it to be a show stopper, just a good looking vette that I can have fun driving and be proud to say that it is my car that I have worked on. #'s matching does not matter at all to me.

Just to make sure, will a lt1 engine and tranny out of a camaro or firebird be an easy swap or not? By the way I really appreciate all the help guys!Thanks.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:44 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Agree with MNJack....someone on the forum is selling his for $6,500??? Looked pretty good to me. Search back a day or so. I thinbk it was a '77 with a 383!! Looked like a driver to me.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:58 PM
IWantAC3
Intermediate

Default Re: Need general info on everything!! (MNJack)

Mnjack I know I could probably find one with a good engine but the problem is they didn't have a lot of power to begin with. Bieng a typical guy, I have to have a good bit of go under my foot or I'm not happy :cry . If the electronics will be a big problem I could always hire someone to hook it up after I physically installed it, but since my dad used to be a rocket scientist(seriously, he worked for Lockheed(sp) Martin) I think he could probably manage that part. The reason I am thinking lt1 transplant is that they can be found cheap, they have decent power, and I want a manual transmission, and finding a lt1 w/ a 6sp is not hard. If I went with a crate motor, I would have to find a vette with a manual tranny already in it. To me an lt1 just seems like a really cheap way to get the power I want and a manual transmission. A zz4 would be great but that is just out of my price range.

Edit: 383 in a c3 for $6500, I wish I had the $$$ to buy now, I will still have to go take a quick peek though.

[Modified by IWantAC3, 2:01 AM 12/14/2001]
Old 12-13-2001, 10:34 PM
IWantAC3
Intermediate

:eek: I just looked at that car, the tan colored one :eek: and to say the least I am drooling over it, why can't I be ready to buy now :cry :cry :( :( . Oh well I'll find one when the time comes.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:35 PM
IWantAC3
Intermediate

Ok well after a few hours of research today I am thinking of going slightly more expensive(10-12k) to get a mid-late 70's vette that is good and solid and then try and transplant a lt1 w/ a 6sp manual transmission into it. Well this is today's idea I may have a completely different plan by the time I wake up tomorrow morning but we'll see. I think this will be the best way to start my vette experience without digging myself into an early grave. If this ends up bieng what I do I will probably not buy the car and start working until this summer, which will leave me about 9 months to get her the way I want before I get my liscense. Depending on money issues I am thinking completly new leather seats( I am hoping for a light colored interior) that are tall and cush would be great.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:47 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

9 whole months? :eek:
Let me guess, you haven't actually DONE anything like this before?

I'm going on three years, I have the engine close, the front suspension close the rear suspension close, haven't even started the paint or interior!
Old 12-14-2001, 01:29 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Need general info on everything!! (427V8)

well if you buy it for 10-12k then whuts gonna take 9 months??

id think for 10-12k everything would be done already!!

as a matter o fact id insist that everything be done already for 10-12k!!!

:eek: :eek:

unless it is a 68-73.......
Old 12-14-2001, 02:06 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

transplant a lt1 w/ a 6sp manual transmission into it.
LT1 = Computer issues, reverse cooling issues
LS1 = Frame mount and computer issues (doable but harder)
Stock T56 6 speed will not fit C3, Richmond 6 spd ~$3000, Tremec TKo 5 spd with OD ~$2000 (but these are good strong transmissions)

I would recommend a subscription to Chevy High Performance magazine. Lots of good info on Chevy engine buildups (they just did a 420 HP 350 for $2400)

The biggest problem with the '75 up C3's is the exhaust. Free up the exhaust and there is a lot of potential. Stock 75 HP/TQ was 165/255. I have not been on a dyno but it is a lot stronger now. I can break the tires loose from a start at about 1800 rpm.

Mods cost:
Cam $80
Intake $109
Headers $209
Exhaust (custom bent w/ crossover and stainless mufflers) $400

Those are just the performance mods. I have more money in the interior, suspension, radiator/fan setup. Car is very reliable. Almost 50k miles in 8 years and it is only that low because I have been away at least 2 1/2 years total in that time. Drove cross country this summer and got 18-20 mpg at 70 mph. :cool:

Just buy the best you can afford and don't worry about the raw performance #'s right off. After all, you will be driving one of the coolest cars ever made. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Need general info on everything!!

Old 12-14-2001, 06:42 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cost of keeping a corvette of the years you are looking at will be less than a newer car of the same price. Mechanical parts like starters, water pumps alternators are everywhere and cheap at parts places. Replacing a computer or anti-lock brake control unit or even diagnosing a later car is more expensive and very difficult to do yourself. You will find lots of ways to keep an old corvette running great but the ONE thing to watch out for is RUSTY frames... The worst spot is just in front of the rear wheel . I would get someone who knows what to look for to check out the car. Frame rot is not easy to fix and very expensive. :chevy

[Modified by silvervetteman, 4:43 AM 12/14/2001]
Old 12-14-2001, 09:16 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

IWant -- If the car is down for restoration, you won't be driving it on a day to day basis. By the time you have your license, the newest of the C3s will be twenty years old. Think about it: How many twenty year old cars do you see on the street being used as daily drivers? I would suggest you spend a little more and get an original Corvette in the best condition you can find. Drive and enjoy the car, doing only regular and periodic maintenance. Put aside thoughts of restoration until a much later time. During the coming year, you should read as much of the Corvette reference and history materials as you can find. Knowledge is Power. Learn all you can about these cars.
:)
Old 12-14-2001, 03:24 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iwant - there is a lot of good advice so far.

I'll add mine too.

Try to avoid the pitfall of buying the least expensive Corvette you can find, especially with the premise of fixing it up to be a daily driver.

Your best plan would be to buy the absolute best condition car you can afford. this one should already be able to be driven very frequently if not daily. My opinion is that it is not difficult to have a daily driver corvette. Chevy 350 small blocks are robust motors that can drive a goodly distance if maintained. You must expect that there will be days when it lets you down though. The parts on these cars are getting old - water pumps, alternators etc... all can go out at a moments notice. But as mentioned before they are plentiful and inexpensive.

Restoration or even restification is expensive and time consuming. The only really complex items on the vette is the rear end and the vacuum operated accessories. The rest is pretty basic. My 78 has been a daily driver since the day I bought it almost 5 years ago. It has never been down for more than a day in that time. Including during the time I was painting the car.

Also another good tip is to not buy the first car you look at - especially if you want a corvette - the first one always seems to be the best but they usually are not.

Once you get the car, drive it for 500 miles or so before you replace a single part - this will help you prioritize what must eb done first.

Good luck - dont forget to wave.

Quick Reply: Need general info on everything!!