C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cracked dash pad... should i get a dash pad skin or a dash pad cover?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 11:40 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked dash pad... should i get a dash pad skin or a dash pad cover?????

my dash pad has been cracked for sooo long im sick of looking at it...... and the speaker grills are a mess too :cry :cry :cry

300 bux for a new dash pad???

SCREW THAT!!!!!

has anyone installed a dash pad skin or a dash pad cap??

which one is better???

which one looks better??

thanx!

:cheers:
Old 12-13-2001, 12:04 AM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: cracked dash pad... should i get a dash pad skin or a dash pad cover????? (daily_driver)

I have heard many people say good things about dash pad covers. $80 seems a helluva lot better then $300, even if its not "perfect" you still save $220....not to shabby

Daniel
Old 12-13-2001, 12:06 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: cracked dash pad... should i get a dash pad skin or a dash pad cover????? (daniel77350)

yes but dash cover or a dash "skin" ????

the covers are hard plastic..

the skin......is well....a skin!!

:lol: :lol:

i dont want the dash to look bubba'd....

Old 12-13-2001, 12:08 AM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: cracked dash pad... should i get a dash pad skin or a dash pad cover????? (daily_driver)

ah yes...I see I see.

A skin to me would be the vynal version of the hard plastic. Why don't you just save some $$ and go to your local fabric store and pick up 3 yards of vinal and recover it yourself.

Just a thought.

Daniel
Old 12-13-2001, 12:11 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: cracked dash pad... should i get a dash pad skin or a dash pad cover????? (daniel77350)

thats a good idea.... but i have too many projects atm.....

just wanna throw something on there and be done with it...

i need to replace all the lightbulbs in the dash (again...) so thought this would be a good time ta do it!!

:cry :cry
Old 12-13-2001, 12:12 AM
daniel77350
Drifting

then I suggest the plastic cover deal...quicker

Daniel
Old 12-13-2001, 12:19 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

hey if i get a plastic cover then ill be able to glue the hoola girl from empanina on!!

oh yah!!

:lol: :yesnod:
Old 12-13-2001, 01:03 AM
jsimpson
Drifting

The dash cover is NOT a good idea. The thing does NOT fit well. It's hard to get the instruments back in and the glove box wouldn't go back in without removing the dash cover! I actually BROKE my new speedo and tach cover trying to get it to fit in the dash with the cover in place. The corners are too rounded for the speedo and tach cover to fit properly! Bite the bullet and pay the bucks for a dash.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:46 AM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: cracked dash pad... should i get a dash pad skin or a dash pad cover????? (jsimpson)

Get a real pad not a skin. Keep an eye on eBay. I regularly see used, good to excellent condition upper dash pads offered. I got two NOS inner windshield trims for less than repros.

Mark
Old 12-13-2001, 10:44 AM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

My 2 cents worth. I have a full dash cover skin, plastic of some sort, that came with my car when I bought it. Doesn't look too bad, but the first time I get the extra money, off it comes and a new dash goes in. The thing rattles like crazy against the old dash. Every time I get one rattle fixed, another one crops up. It also doesn't fit well around the wiper and headlight switch area and the glove box doesn't work well with it on.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:46 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: cracked dash pad... should i get a dash pad skin or a dash pad cover????? (jsimpson)

The dash cover is NOT a good idea. The thing does NOT fit well. It's hard to get the instruments back in and the glove box wouldn't go back in without removing the dash cover! I actually BROKE my new speedo and tach cover trying to get it to fit in the dash with the cover in place. The corners are too rounded for the speedo and tach cover to fit properly! Bite the bullet and pay the bucks for a dash.
Agreed....Do it right :cheers:
Old 12-13-2001, 11:11 AM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: cracked dash pad... should i get a dash pad skin or a dash pad cover????? (Alwyn678)

My dash has a crack right in the middle and I too am sick of looking at it....but I am going to buy a new dash. The original dash lasted 20 or so years of the car sitting out in the weather 24/7. That kind of performance isn't too bad for $300. I can think of a lot of other Corvette parts which are much more expensive that don't hold up like that.

Just my $.02

dl
Old 12-13-2001, 12:51 PM
Maxd_out
Instructor

If you want to go cheap, have you considered a DashMat? http://www.dashmat.com
Old 12-13-2001, 02:22 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: cracked dash pad... should i get a dash pad skin or a dash pad cover????? (Maxd_out)

:lol: :lol:

id rather shoot muhself than get a dash matt!!

it looks like im gonna be buying a new pad......

gonna have to sell one of my old persian mauser rifles to get the $$

:cry :cry :cry :cry
Old 12-13-2001, 02:45 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

As with any vette project you have to ask yourself what you can live with. From my experience the dask pad covers are bubba and look like they are bubba. That is if you can even get them to fit in the first place. Someone out there may have seen a clean installation, I am just no one of them. You might want to just shop around and find a quality replacement dash and bite the bullet. IMHO it is always cheaper to do it right once than to skimp and then end up paying to do it twice. :seeya

Old 12-13-2001, 02:52 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,919 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Default Re: cracked dash pad... should i get a dash pad skin or a dash pad cover????? (ScubaJKD)

Scuba -
I agree with you. I've seen dash covers and dash skins installed, and they all look pretty cheesy to me. On the hard-to-find stuff, I've been sending my cracked dashes out to Just Dashes in Calif. They do a beautiful rebuild job on them and make 'em better than new. Price varies by dash type, but $300 is a good ballpark figure. Just bite the bullit, do it right, and get it over with....
Old 12-13-2001, 02:57 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: cracked dash pad... should i get a dash pad skin or a dash pad cover????? (lars)

LARS has spoken !!! :yesnod: Based upon LARS reputation on this forum that is the final word on the subject. Still drooling over your Porsche project. brings back old memories. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To cracked dash pad... should i get a dash pad skin or a dash pad cover?????

Old 12-13-2001, 06:56 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: cracked dash pad... should i get a dash pad skin or a dash pad cover????? (Ed T)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lemme seee...

ripped fake leather painted with the "krylon" touch...

with worn parts showing its original pimp red color

:lol: :lol: :lol: :U :U :U :U :U :U :U
Old 12-13-2001, 07:07 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option is to check into Corvette America's NQP (not quite perfect)interior parts. About half the price of 1st quality but probably more than a skin. I bought one and even though they id'd the flaw, it was still hard to see it.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:16 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: cracked dash pad... should i get a dash pad skin or a dash pad cover????? (nastee383)

corvetteamerica shows em for 200 NQP's..

how bad was yours??

what kinda "not quite" was on it??

scratched? cut???

thanks

Quick Reply: cracked dash pad... should i get a dash pad skin or a dash pad cover?????