C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to get ready to Dye Interior - What's the best stuff to use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 09:59 PM
wheeljo2
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default About to get ready to Dye Interior - What's the best stuff to use?

I am getting ready to dye the interior! I know I need to clean it up first to get rid of any silicons (use simple green or what?) then prep it (what product?) and then paint it (what dye?). I need to know the best products to use and was curious if anyone has ever used leatherique products to restore, and dye your leather seats. Please reply!
Old 12-12-2001, 10:01 PM
mrbeaubo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: About to get ready to Dye Interior - What's the best stuff to use? (wheeljo2)

Meant to post it from this name, that is my older brother's name. Sorry about that, I posted something for him earlier.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:05 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: About to get ready to Dye Interior - What's the best stuff to use? (wheeljo2)

how'do your bro get the garage and you got the car port? we all know the C3's deserve the AC and the C4's can weather it. :jester

Daniel
Old 12-12-2001, 10:09 PM
mrbeaubo
Burning Brakes

Default Re: About to get ready to Dye Interior - What's the best stuff to use? (daniel77350)

Considering it is at HIS house ;P

Have any answers to my questions!? heh
Old 12-12-2001, 10:58 PM
slide
Racer

When I did mine I used a wax and grease remover that I bought at the local auto parts store (NAPA) Then before I sprayed each piece I wiped them down with a rag which I had damp with Lacquer thinner. I used the dye that Corvette America sell and bought it by the quart, it took a little over 2 quart to spray everything but the seats. I have used the dye that they mix at the auto parts store and it works good to but you have to mix thinner, and flexers with it, so it get s pretty $$$. The Dye from most Vette parts distributors is ready to spray out of the can.
Slide

Ps I have a few interior pics on my web page if you want to see the finish product of a sprayed interior.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:05 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: About to get ready to Dye Interior - What's the best stuff to use? (slide)

The SEM dye that I use is ready to spray as well. I've never used the Corvette suppliers dyes. But one nice thing about using a Corvette supplier is getting the correct color and being able to match it again later. Seems like I'm always having trouble getting the correct colors locally. Most times they have to start with the formula and then adjust it to an unexposed area on the original part. PITA!
Old 12-12-2001, 11:09 PM
mrbeaubo
Burning Brakes

Default Re: About to get ready to Dye Interior - What's the best stuff to use? (lbell101)

Well I'm going black so I just need cheap, any ideas?
Old 12-12-2001, 11:20 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: About to get ready to Dye Interior - What's the best stuff to use? (mrbeaubo)

I used the dye from Eckler's and it was great. Looks good and went on good. I also used the clear primer that I bought from Eckler's it sealed up the panels and lets the dye stick good.
Old 12-13-2001, 12:41 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,928 Likes on 1,933 Posts

SEM makes some of the best plastic/vinyl/interior dyes available anywhere. SEM products are available from most auto body/paint supply stores. They have the dye, cleaners, prep materials, and everything you need to do an outstanding job. Black dye is available in spray cans. I prefer buying it by the quart and shooting it through a paint gun. If you drop me an e-mail, I can send you a copy of a paper I did for the C4 Forum on how to shoot the interior pieces. It has the part numbers and all info needed to do the job.
V8FastCars@msn.com
Old 12-13-2001, 01:48 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: About to get ready to Dye Interior - What's the best stuff to use? (lars)

I agree, SEM is really good, used it to go from maroon to black on the dash of my dailey driver a (please forgive me) 83 Toyota Supra with 292,000 miles on it. :eek: :eek:
Old 12-13-2001, 11:39 AM
je68
Instructor

Default Re: About to get ready to Dye Interior - What's the best stuff to use? (LT1driver)

I usesd SEM black from local paint store $6.99 a can did test first and went with spray can as it came out looking like new with out too much shine.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:38 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

These products from Mid-America have given me excellent results. I have used similar products from Eckler's also with an equally good outcome. Sometimes I do wonder if there is only one source for the various vendors.

Get notified of new replies

To About to get ready to Dye Interior - What's the best stuff to use?

Quick Reply: About to get ready to Dye Interior - What's the best stuff to use?