C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Linkage Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 08:48 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Linkage Questions

I am replacing all of the clutch linkage parts (a while I'm at it project) and I have some questions.

All of the nylon seats and felt washers were rotted away so I had 1/2 of lateral movement in the "z-bar" linkage. I have all of the new parts now. IS the felt washer (page L205 in the AIM) supposed to go outside of the egine stud mount? I'm guessing it acts as a dust seal?

Also is there no nylon seat on the engine side? It appears as if the stud contacts metal to metal with the "z-bar".

Any (quick) help would be appreciated....

Old 12-12-2001, 11:27 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Clutch Linkage Questions (Monkeywrench)

Without looking, I believe the round stud on the motor sets in a plastic sleeve inside of the clutch bar. The big washer fits between the bar and the bracket on the frame.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:30 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Clutch Linkage Questions (Monkeywrench)

i was through this last year trying to stop a vibrating clutch pedal. it was quite a 'challange'. turned out to be either too little OR too much endplay AND incorrect linkage geometry.

assembly goes like this:
engine stud - felt seal - cross shaft - inner nylon seat - stud - outer nylon seat - ring clip - felt seal - bracket - tab washer - nut

no nylon seat on engine side, just slide fit to allow for engine movement; use lots of grease. there should be a felt seal there, becasue p/n 3743360 comes with 2 in a bag.

the torque spec on the nut is tricky to achieve because it is hard to get a wrench in there. the nut shouldn't be that tight. that is why there are tabs on the washer to bend over the keep the nut from loosening. endplay should be slight, but less than 1/8".

Old 12-13-2001, 12:39 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Clutch Linkage Questions (Turbo-Jet)

That's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification guys...

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Linkage Questions

Quick Reply: Clutch Linkage Questions