C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F.Y.I heres the official scoop

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 AM
ADIBELC6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default F.Y.I heres the official scoop

the following is the p.i for calibration confirmation from GM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIP4386: Identifying Aftermarket Engine Calibrations - 2.0 2.2 2.4 2.8 2.9 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.8 3.9 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.6 4.8 5.0 5.3 5.7 6.0 6.2 7.0 7.4 8.1 - (Apr 8, 2008)

Subject: Identifying Aftermarket Engine Calibrations

Models: 2005-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

except Pontiac Vibe, Chevy Aveo, and All Saab Models

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A dealer may have the need to verify engine calibrations. If a dealer feels an aftermarket power-up calibration has induced engine and/or drive train damage, there is now a way to verify what calibration is currently in the vehicle.

If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case, or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different than those that these components were validated to. Repairs to transmission, transfer case and / or other driveline components where a non GM engine calibration has been verified, are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Instructions for confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN)
• Go to TIS2WEB

• Select Calibration Information (SPS Info)

• Enter VIN

• Select "Get Cal ID"

• Select ECM Engine Control Module

• Hit "next"

• Select "Complete History"

• Print

Take Printout to Vehicle along with Tech II
• Plug in Tech II

• Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle

• Select Powertrain

• Select the engine

• Select F0 - Engine Control Module

• Select F4/F5 - I/M information System / Module ID information*

• Select F1

• Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.

* This step may vary by controller; use the Module ID Information in the Engine Controls.

Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued.

If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.

If the part numbers match and ANY calibration verification numbers (CVN's) do not match the printout, it is likely that a non GM certified calibration has been installed.

In order to document the case - a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the TECH 2 screen showing the VIN and the CVN's that do not match the TIS2WEB printout. The picture and a PDF copy of the TIS2WEB printout should be forwarded to jay.dankovich@GM.com for verification along with the VIN and the reason the vehicle is currently in for service. Please copy your GM Area Service Manager (DVM/DSM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVN's are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 48 hours.

If both the Part numbers and the CVN are different, photograph the part numbers and CVN's on the tech 2 screen as described above, assuring the VIN shows clearly in the photograph of the TECH2 screen, and check to see if the vehicle has the latest released calibration. If the latest released calibration is not installed in the vehicle, the part numbers will not match , and the CVN's won't either. E- mail the original Part Numbers and CVN's found in the vehicle on the TECH 2 to: jay.dankovich@GM.com to check if the calibration and CVN matches a previous release. Recalibrate with the latest released cal and re-check against the part numbers and CVN's that are released.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:20 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

So the bottom line is, if you want a tune and you also want to keep your warranty, buy an Aveo.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:31 AM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADIBELC6
the following is the p.i for calibration confirmation from GM

Condition/Concern:
A dealer may have the need to verify engine calibrations. If a dealer feels an aftermarket power-up calibration has induced engine and/or drive train damage, there is now a way to verify what calibration is currently in the vehicle.

If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case, or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different than those that these components were validated to. Repairs to transmission, transfer case and / or other driveline components where a non GM engine calibration has been verified, are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Originally Posted by TMyers
This is all about the histeria of people saying GM will void your warranty if you tune your car. GM set the precident by specifically calling out tunes on the Duramax. Until they use the same wording for all vehicles only the Duramax may have it's warranty voided. Note that I said may. That is because that is the wording in the warranty book for 2008.

There is a reason the Duramax was singled out. You can get a tune that provides 300hp and 500ft lbs of torque and that is from a hand held tuner.

Again people lets use some common sense here. We are only talking 20hp max with a tune only LS2 or LS3. What do you get for that, a better running vehicle and better mpg. Provided its not tuned so lean as to burn a hole into a piston there is not one component that should fail with that small of bump.

I am not saying that GM will not crack down on future vehicles. But as it stands today GM will be hard pressed to void your warranty unless you let them.

Bummer
Old 04-10-2008, 08:52 AM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Looks like the dealerships will be looking a bit harder for tunes now. You want to play you gotta pay..
Old 04-10-2008, 09:00 AM
mcwire
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Looks like the dealerships will be looking a bit harder for tunes now. You want to play you gotta pay..
As soon as, they open your hood, I've got a feeling that, you're in trouble. -- -- --
Old 04-10-2008, 09:07 AM
LostAngel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Diablosport along with a couple other tuners in the vette world has already changed their programming to get around this.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Diablosport along with a couple other tuners in the vette world has already changed their programming to get around this.
You mean there's a light at the end of the tuner tunnel??This no more tune stuff sucks!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:32 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I didn't see this asked in all the other threads that have recently popped up concerning this issue, or I missed it, but what if you use HP Tuner or EFI Live and are changing some of the aspects of the factory tune. The VIN is still intact as well as many other variables that GM uses to validate a tune, are this changed when down loading the new tune? Can these tunes be seen?

I can see where a handheld 'canned' tune could be seen, but what about the above?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:33 AM
LostAngel
Drifting

Originally Posted by jesse12804
You mean there's a light at the end of the tuner tunnel??This no more tune stuff sucks!
Yes. As far as Duramax tunes I know MANY MANY duramax trucks that are tuned and get past the dealership checking it.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had something done at the dealership yesterday and I asked one of their Corvette mechanics about these new procedures to ID tuned vehicles...it was his impression that even vehicles restored to a factory tune could be identified as having been altered.

I know for a fact that the dealership was going-after diesel trucks with the so-called tuning chips a couple years ago. I tend to think if these tuned Duramax trucks went through undetected, they weren't being specifically checked for altered tuning.

I don't see what all the fuss is about...if you modify your car...if you change the operating parameters from those designed and warranted by GM, why should GM still provide warranty repairs for 'related' failures? You had your vehicle tuned...you voluntarily altered the way it runs...man-up and be responsible for your actions.

If your warranty is more valuable than the modifications you're making, don't modify your car...wait until your warranty has expired or be prepared to pay for certain repairs yourself. If some tuner says they've gotten around these procedures to identify tuned cars...are you willing to bet your warranty on it?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:05 AM
LostAngel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I had something done at the dealership yesterday and I asked one of their Corvette mechanics about these new procedures to ID tuned vehicles...it was his impression that even vehicles restored to a factory tune could be identified as having been altered.

I know for a fact that the dealership was going-after diesel trucks with the so-called tuning chips a couple years ago. I tend to think if these tuned Duramax trucks went through undetected, they weren't being specifically checked for altered tuning.

I don't see what all the fuss is about...if you modify your car...if you change the operating parameters from those designed and warranted by GM, why should GM still provide warranty repairs for 'related' failures? You had your vehicle tuned...you voluntarily altered the way it runs...man-up and be responsible for your actions. I guess I am also lucky to have a friendly local dealership. Unless you open up the engine for the aftermarket parts...or go FI...they are fine with it.

If your warranty is more valuable than the modifications you're making, don't modify your car...wait until your warranty has expired or be prepared to pay for certain repairs yourself. If some tuner says they've gotten around these procedures to identify tuned cars...are you willing to bet your warranty on it?
I would bet my warrenty off of seeing first hand experience with tuned duramax's and diablosport. A good friend of mine that runs the service department at a dealership a few towns over had a stock duramax, and then tuned it and showed me the results. It was not detected (diablosport tune).
Old 04-10-2008, 11:35 AM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by mcwire
As soon as, they open your hood, I've got a feeling that, you're in trouble. -- -- --
Old 04-10-2008, 12:50 PM
RedHot
Le Mans Master

Location: Recovering from a tragic boating accident in Jacksonville Fl
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet

Busted.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:50 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

To all those who think that some kind of modified tune will escape the notice of the tech, you are mistaken.

I spoke today with my tech at the dealership where my car goes. I've known this guy for years, and he's a top-notch tech. Anyway, he had read about this from GM, and he assured me that EVERY tune, no matter the source, leaves a footprint in the car regardless of whether the original tune is put back into the car later. The simple fact of replacing the tune program with altered information leaves a footprint, and the scanner CAN read that. It's not an issue for me because the large supercharger on the front of my engine is kind of a dead giveaway.

It amazes me that people in here are actually encouraging the development on non-detectible tunes. If you're going to go that route, then do not complain when a dealer sticks you for every single cent they can - doc fees, hidden fees, "upholstery protectant," "undercoating," and all the rest - you are committing fraud, and they should be entitled to do the same back to you.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:01 PM
LostAngel
Drifting

Originally Posted by MNVette
To all those who think that some kind of modified tune will escape the notice of the tech, you are mistaken.

I spoke today with my tech at the dealership where my car goes. I've known this guy for years, and he's a top-notch tech. Anyway, he had read about this from GM, and he assured me that EVERY tune, no matter the source, leaves a footprint in the car regardless of whether the original tune is put back into the car later. The simple fact of replacing the tune program with altered information leaves a footprint, and the scanner CAN read that. It's not an issue for me because the large supercharger on the front of my engine is kind of a dead giveaway.

It amazes me that people in here are actually encouraging the development on non-detectible tunes. If you're going to go that route, then do not complain when a dealer sticks you for every single cent they can - doc fees, hidden fees, "upholstery protectant," "undercoating," and all the rest - you are committing fraud, and they should be entitled to do the same back to you.
The thing that bothers me is when dealerships blame aftermarket parts for something breaking that is not caused by the product. An exhaust or intake isn't going to break a transmission...imo neither is a streetable tune. My last car, an RX8 developed a 4th gear grind...I took it in and they looked at it..popped the hood and saw an aftermarket cold air intake. They swore up and down that was the problem. They swore up and down that the intake caused it and my warrenty was now voided. It wasn't until I pointed out to the blind 'authorized mazda tech' that it was a Mazdaspeed intake, that he suddenly did a 180 and said 'oh ok the part didn't affect/cause the grinding.'

I admit that abusing your car is grounds for voiding of a warrenty, but not an exhaust/intake/tune (as long as it's not the cause of the problem. I can understand them voiding your warrenty if you suck up water with your intake, or lean out your tune so much you burn up the engine.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:08 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Sooooooooooo....if you bought another PCM, and had it programmed with whatever tune you wanted, and kept your stock one to put back in when you take it to the dealer?

Nevermind...the PCM's probably log dates and times, number of start up cycles as well, dont' they?
Old 04-10-2008, 02:17 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6NRED
Sooooooooooo....if you bought another PCM, and had it programmed with whatever tune you wanted, and kept your stock one to put back in when you take it to the dealer?

Nevermind...the PCM's probably log dates and times, number of start up cycles as well, dont' they?
Yes they might, but the way I read the description they are verifying the approved GM tune is in the vehicle, which the stock one would have.

Get notified of new replies

To F.Y.I heres the official scoop

Old 04-10-2008, 02:48 PM
thatdood
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6NRED

I like your idea!
Old 04-10-2008, 05:01 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Interesting report on aftermarket ecm calibration tunes.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:29 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT
Bummer
Not really. GM can print or attempt to do anything they want until someone challenges them. I have said all along that just because your car is tuned GM will not void your warranty. It must be a, in there own words a suspicious hard part failure. Now if I break a valve spring and have raised the rev limiter they have a case. If I grenade a piston they may have a case. If I change shift points on a A6 they may have case.

If I burn my T-6060 up they don't. The power levels of a intake, header and tuned C6 don't reach the levels of the Z06. They may get me for abuse but not for a tune. But if they want to say it is the tune, I guess they won't mind me going to the papers and telling the world that the tranny they put behind the Z06 is inadequate for the intended purpose.

In the end unless you just want to roll over, GM will have to prove that it was indeed the tune that caused the failure. If what I do to my car is the cause of the problem then I don't have any problem taking responsibility. On the other hand I won't let GM get out of its responsibility because it cost them money.

Quick Reply: F.Y.I heres the official scoop