C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you replace a burned out bulb on the instrument cluster.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 04:14 PM
MikeE.79
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you replace a burned out bulb on the instrument cluster.

I have a 79 vette that has a bulb burned out at the top of the instrument cluster that shines down and lights up the heater controls. My question is, what do you have to do to change it and is it a pain to get to?
Old 12-12-2001, 04:17 PM
figment3
Instructor

Default Re: How do you replace a burned out bulb on the instrument cluster. (MikeE.79)

been about ten years since i owned a 79 but i think you can get to this bulb by removing the glove box. if not then the cluster has to com out,hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:01 PM
tangee-vette
Racer

Default Re: How do you replace a burned out bulb on the instrument cluster. (MikeE.79)

Removing cluster is required....loosen screws in cluster frame and remove side panels of the console to get at the bottom screws of the cluster. While I was doing this I replaced all the cluster bulbs so I wouldn't have to it again for a while. :yesnod:
Old 12-12-2001, 05:46 PM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Most of the time this bulb is not burnt out, just not in securely, make sure all the connections are touching before doing the hunt for that unique bulb.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:57 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: How do you replace a burned out bulb on the instrument cluster. (Ben Taylor)

I just changed 'em all when I took it apart...

Hans
Old 12-12-2001, 06:17 PM
tangee-vette
Racer

Default Re: How do you replace a burned out bulb on the instrument cluster. (Ben Taylor)

Most of the time this bulb is not burnt out, just not in securely, make sure all the connections are touching before doing the hunt for that unique bulb.
======================
Thats exactly what I found...bad connection. Changed bulbs anyway.
Old 12-12-2001, 06:19 PM
vert2go89
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In I Veteran

Default Re: How do you replace a burned out bulb on the instrument cluster. (figment3)

Read the post "while things are getting out of hand" and you won't even worry about that bulb.lol
Old 12-12-2001, 06:58 PM
MikeE.79
Advanced

Default Re: How do you replace a burned out bulb on the instrument cluster. (all smiles 81)

I read the post "while things are getting out of hand" and I had to laugh too, but at the same time it scared the devil out of me!!! I'm almost affraid to get in my car to try to fix the bulb. Oh well a hole new interior in my 79 might not be too bad!

Get notified of new replies

To How do you replace a burned out bulb on the instrument cluster.

Quick Reply: How do you replace a burned out bulb on the instrument cluster.