C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Lacquer Paint - Is it a decent alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 03:06 PM
78RedShark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Lacquer Paint - Is it a decent alternative?

I'm debating whether to replace my arm rests and parking brake console cover. To get them with paint match to original cost $99 and $24, respectively.

Is it better to just replace these parts or to buy the matching lacquer paint and do it myself? Will there be any quality probems if I paint it myself?

Thanks.
:chevy
Old 12-12-2001, 03:12 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Interior Lacquer Paint - Is it a decent alternative? (78RedShark)

I painted the dash pads, and seat backs of my 66 in 1985 and they have outlasted the lacquer paint job on the body. I used DuPont lacquer with the flexible parts additive. Technology has probably changed since then, but the stuff I used 16 yeas ago still looks as good as the day I applied it. The body is not doing quite as well. I won't use lacquer for a body in the future.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:17 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I buy the interior paint/dye by the quart and shoot it myself. You can order it from the aftermarket providers or take a piece of your interior to any automotive parts/paint supplier and match your color from their chips. Follow regular paint prep on the parts and shoot as you would for lacquer. I've never had any problems with it. I have not tried the stuff in the spray cans.
:)
Old 12-12-2001, 03:23 PM
78RedShark
Instructor

Default Re: Interior Lacquer Paint - Is it a decent alternative? (Easy Mike)

Did either of you paint arm rests or the parking brake console covers? Any tips?
Old 12-12-2001, 03:51 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Both. I've redyed interior pieces in my '68 and in my '80. :)
Old 12-12-2001, 03:54 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

I've used interior dye many many times. It works VERY well on most surfaces - the stiffer the better. SEM is the manufacturer I use now but the others are similar. The only item that doesn't hold up real well is seats (Oh and don't try the carpet - doesn't work). That's because they move alot and get alot of wear. Both the arm rests and center piece on my vette are sprayed (along with the entire dash and most of the other interior pieces). They show no signs of wear yet. If you scrape against the stuff with somthing kinda sharp, like a screwdriver, it will scrape off (especially when fresh). But repair is incredibly easy since you just dip a sponge or anything into the can and dab it on the bad spot. Dries in minutes and is most times impossible to see! I touched up three spots on mine since it was finished in May. Those were for scrapes - not wear.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:02 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Did either of you paint arm rests or the parking brake console covers? Any tips?

......Some of the other forum members are talking about interior dyes that last and look good for a long time. I've never had that kind of luck with my dyes (and forget the stuff in spray cans). Maybe I'll have to try what they have used next time, but for now I would say that you will always be re-doing and touching up places like seats,arm rests and emergency brake console if you go with dye (laquer paint). It's also nice not to have to think about rubbing the stuff off everytime you lay your arm somewhere, or whenever you're cleaning it. I vote for replacing the armrests and console. Regards

'74 Turbocharged 350, "Molested to Perfection", class of '71
Old 12-12-2001, 11:05 PM
slide
Racer

Default Re: Interior Lacquer Paint - Is it a decent alternative? (Shutdown1)

I've dyed many many interior parts in all types of cars and I find the dye you buy from the Vette venders is as good as the dye you buy at auto parts stores. I've used both and the only difference I see is the auto parts dye is more $$$$$. As far as wear, I have no complaints. I don't advise using it on seats or carpet either.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:22 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Interior Lacquer Paint - Is it a decent alternative? (slide)

I dyed everything but the seat covers. used the dye from Eckler's, also used the clear primer.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:03 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Interior Lacquer Paint - Is it a decent alternative? (Easy Mike)

Do it yourself, and revel in the pride you will feel. :D :D
Old 12-13-2001, 11:41 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Interior Lacquer Paint - Is it a decent alternative? (LT1driver)

78RedShark-

No- I did not paint armrests or a parking brake console... a 66 has molded in arm rests and no parking brake console. The 66 does have a metal center console tha I also painted with the same DuPont interior lacquer paint, and it has held up very well for 16 years. Based on my experience, I would not hesitate to paint the parking brake console in my 70, but I would be cautious to use it for the armrest where wear is a greater factor. I can't say that lacquer with additive on an armrest would wear well... no experience with it.

In any case, whatever product you use, properly prep the surface with a commercial/professional silicon removal wash such as DuPonts "Prep-Sol" (3919). Interior parts usually have a lot of "Armorall" type contaminants on them, and this causes massive amounts of "fish-eye". Lacquer thinner does not remove silicon contaminants, and it also tends to melt the plastic/vinyl, whereas the 3919 is less invasive (but can still do damage to plastic). Check with a professional bodyshop supply house for the latest in this regard... they may now have something more suitable for plastic/vinyl than 3919, which is what I used on my 66 vinyl dash pads.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior Lacquer Paint - Is it a decent alternative?

Quick Reply: Interior Lacquer Paint - Is it a decent alternative?