C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would like help to replace speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 12:02 PM
MARX_72
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like help to replace speakers

I have a 72 and need to replace the speakers...would like to know if anyone has documentation/expirience on the proper way to replace them. How much do I have to dismantle to get them out. Thank You.
Old 12-12-2001, 12:13 PM
princeRed72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Would like help to replace speakers (MARX_72)

Marx 72 I have a 72 convertible and I replaced the speakers in mine, twice. the first time I went up from the bottom of the dash, but I had most of the dash out for other repairs.
You can take the dash pad out by removing all the screws from the front of the dash near the dash pad. Also remove the windshiled pillars. It will pull out at that point, it may need a little tugging. When you reinstall make sure the clips on the pad hook back in. You will see them when you get the pad out. I am not sure if this procedure is covered in the assembly manual.
Old 12-12-2001, 01:18 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Would like help to replace speakers (princeRed72)

I have heard that you need to bend the dash pad a little to get it out ? Might want to be careful not to break that old dash.

[Modified by flood, 11:30 AM 12/12/2001]
Old 12-12-2001, 01:25 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Would like help to replace speakers (flood)

I have heard that you need to bend the dash pad a little to get it out ?
It's a very tight fit. The pad in my '68 will come out after I raise one end and speak very softly, gently, and soothingly to it. Other members report having more of a problem getting them out. Be careful and take it slowly whatever you do. There isn't a whole lot of strength under that thing and [/i]they will crack/break.[/i] Good Luck.
:)
Old 12-12-2001, 01:50 PM
figment3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Would like help to replace speakers (Easy Mike)

i am doing that rigt now! just finised drivers side. took out the gauges to get access.this is a long process you must be careful not to damage the pad.i find that you have to drop the stering colum to gain enuff space to remove them.dont for get the speedo cabel this usaly gets hooked up to!and while you in there change all the light bulbs to.after lunch i will do the passenger side.this is the eash one :D
Old 12-12-2001, 02:00 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

MARX
Go to my website in my sig and look at the stereo install. It should get you on the right track.
Old 12-12-2001, 02:25 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

When I replaced my speakers this summer I found that even with the padding off the A-pillars, I did not want to try to bend the dash bad enough to get it out. Some people have said to lay a heating pad on your dash (or just parking it in the sun) would make it more flexible.

I decided to drop the steering column and then loosen the speedo/tach cluster. I then had enough room (with the dash pad pushed upward) to get a long socket on the speed nuts.

I described how to drop the steering column in a paper on Terry Rudy's websight. Go to http://www.corvettefaq.com, look under Suspension and Steering; there is a paper on adjusting the ignition/dimmer switch. That paper describes dropping the steering column.

Get notified of new replies

To Would like help to replace speakers

Quick Reply: Would like help to replace speakers