C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety reminder about gas.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 10:11 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Safety reminder about gas.

I was working on my pickup last night, and while doing some work on the transfer case I thought I smelled a lot of gas. The gas tank was leaking. It has a hole rusted in it, which isn't unusual for old chevy pickups. I promptly got the trouble light out of the way, and went to check to make sure I had all flammables out of the way, then shut down the heater. I took the plastic piece off that goes under and around the tank and a couple of ice cream pails of gravel and dirt came out from in there. I took the dirt outside and piled it up. ALL IT TOOK TO LIGHT THAT PILE OF DIRT ON FIRE WAS A SPARK FROM MY TORCH IGNITOR. That was intentional of course, to get the flammables burned out of it.

Just remember when you're working under these old vehicles to always look carefully before getting into something. Check for gas leaks, as well as location of the tank and the fuel lines. I changed some exhaust on that pickup as well. Had I taken after it with the sawzall before removing that bad gas tank, you never know what one spark off of that sawzall blade would have done. And, if you are working on removing a gas tank, or fuel pump, or fixing a leak, never use a trouble light. Well, one with a traditional bulb anyway. I have a flourescant that doesn't get that hot, but I wouldn't use it either. Get yourself a flashlight, and limp by with it. You can never be too careful.

[Modified by Dalannex, 8:12 AM 12/12/2001]
Old 12-12-2001, 10:45 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Safety reminder about gas. (Dalannex)

Some really good advice....thanks for sharing!
Old 12-12-2001, 11:37 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Safety reminder about gas. (68shark)

i was using carb cleaner... with the engine running, trying to find a vaccum leak, sprayed the top of the carb instant fire ball, a few swipes of a rag and it was out, but cars being on fire arent all that fun

ZD
Old 12-12-2001, 11:48 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Good thoughts, Dalannex. I also try to do any fuel tank work "outside" ventilating any fumes quickly. Also, I keep a fire extinguisher or charged water hose on just in case.

I was changing the rear "Y" pipe on my '80 using Mr. Torch to cut the converter bolts when when oily residue on the passenger floorboard caught fire. I had my trusty water hose there next to me and easily put out the fire by just "misting" a little water on there.

Also, since we're on the subject of fire, I recommend(sp?) everyone carry a fire extinguisher in their Corvette. Never know when it could save someone's very own Corvette!!! I have one in each of mine!!!
Old 12-12-2001, 12:48 PM
randy72
Drifting

Ditto on the fire extinguisher thing. I need to get one. My brother had an oil pressure gage line get cut last summer at the strip and an extinguisher in the car changed what could have easily been a total loss into a damaged paint job on the hood and some burnt wiring.
Old 12-12-2001, 01:52 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Man, I hate to play 'top your story' but some years ago on another car with a rear main seal leak, I had that damn troublesome light under the car and was cleaning/spraying, looking for the leak....and sure enough, it hit the bulb, which broke and ignited and car fire about a foot from my head...I had NO idea I could move so fast.....no damage....but NOW...it's just a maglite....forget the rest....

GENE
Old 12-13-2001, 02:13 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Gas can kill and frequently does, I use kerosene to clean

Get notified of new replies

To Safety reminder about gas.

Quick Reply: Safety reminder about gas.