C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New exhaust valves

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 08:32 AM
68 Magnum
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New exhaust valves

I've been told that the new exhaust valves on some of the newer 'vettes are filled with sodium and or potassium. Is this true?
I assume this aids in cooling as the heat capacity of these elements in the liquid state is extremely high. I also assume this transfers heat from the hot face of the valve to the relatively keeper end of the valve stem. Is this correct?

What form is the sodium/potassium in when cold? When Hot?

What is the volume of the hollow stem and how many grams of sodium/potassium?

Although I have a low tech 68 vette, I am a high tech guy with a background in chemistry and materials engineering who is always interested in the latest technology.

I posted this on the C5 and engine mod forums but did not get an adequate reply. Someone here must know the story behind the new valves.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 12-12-2001, 08:51 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: New exhaust valves (68 Magnum)

If they were filled with sodium, sodium melts at 97.8C and boils at 883C. Potassium is a silvery white color but oxidizes very rapidly and must be kept submerged in ether or kerosene and melts at 63.7C and boils at 760C. If you want to make a neet explosion cut off a piece of potassium the size of the end of your finger and throw it in a sink of water. It will emply the water in the sink.
I don't know about the exhaust valves just giving the facts about sodium and potassium. Ford in the 60s filled their exhaust valves with sodium for cooling. The liquid carried heat away from the head into the stem.
Have a nice day

Quick Reply: New exhaust valves