C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler question - about tone this time.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 10:41 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Muffler question - about tone this time.

Okay, I know the muffler horse has been beaten beyond death. I also know that for a deeper tone, the pipes need to be bigger. However, my question is this:

Will a 3 inch inlet/outlet on a muffler make much of a difference in tone over a 2.5" inlet/outlet if the rest of the exhaust system is 2.5"?

The reason I ask is because I have to exchange the mufflers I have now, due to configuration, and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to 3 in/out when I request the new ones.

Thanks for not flogging me for asking yet another muffler question. Hey, at least I did research from the archived posts and asked an informed question instead of just "what mufflers are best". :D
Old 12-11-2001, 10:59 PM
vettecor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Muffler question - about tone this time. (sharklover)

I personally don't think it will help, but if you get a more aggressive muffler, flowmaster, ravins, super turbos, it should help improve the sound some. Remember as long as you have that c. coverter connected the sound is going to be somewhat tame.

Just my $.02

Larry
Old 12-11-2001, 11:06 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Muffler question - about tone this time. (vettecor)

I decided on Flowmaster DeltaFlow 50's after MUCH debate/hair pulling out, etc. (Please don't try to talk me out of these as I have already stressed enough :D ). I also installed Mid America's true dual exhaust and will bet getting an H-pipe installed. No cats. Thanks for the reply though.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:50 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

I think you'll like the delta 50's :yesnod:

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 12-12-2001, 01:41 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

here is my (limited) experience:
1- installed a pair of Super Turbos on my 72 BB with stock dual 2-1/2" exhaust. not much difference at idle/cruise, the car is just too damn loud. but much throatier sound at high rpm.

2- on the 94 LT-1 camaro, first- installed a Hooker catback system. results were more burble at idle, and louder at mid-high rpm. but quited way down in 4th during standard city street speeds. had a very 'tuned' sound. second- added headers and removed cat. wow! the thing sounds like an animal. you hear every pop, burble, and WOT is awesome (too loud for local autox regulations in city!).

yes, mufflers are sound reducing devices and are important to the sound, but the headers/cats have at least as much influence on the tone of the exhaust. i don't think pipe dia is relevent. good choice on the setup. will sound like a diffferent car.

[Modified by Turbo-Jet, 9:44 PM 12/11/2001]
Old 12-12-2001, 05:39 AM
Sting Raycin
Drifting

Of course pipe diameter makes a tonal difference. The larger the pipe the deeper the sound. (I don't think the difference in the inlet/outlet on the muffler will though, in your situation). Other factors on sound, some mentioned already ; cat presence, header design, distance muffler is to rear or front of pipe ( For instance take the same motor and mufflers in a pick-up and a car. They will sound different because on a pick-up the mufflers are a lot closer to the engine.), and tip size and shape. Also any mods to your engine might change exhaust note, like a cam.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:40 AM
79blackbat
Intermediate

Where did you find Flowmaster DeltaFlow 50's? I am on the verge of changing mine out and am interested in some info on them.
Thx
Old 12-12-2001, 10:09 AM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Muffler question - about tone this time. (79blackbat)

Where did you find Flowmaster DeltaFlow 50's? I am on the verge of changing mine out and am interested in some info on them.
Thx
I bought mine from a local speed shop but you can get info at http://www.flowmastermufflers.com
Once there, go to products, then click get details (for whatever series you are interested in), then just above the graph and sound samples, there is a small box that says "individual muffler specifications" It shows the different designs and corresponding part numbers.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:17 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Flowmaster 50's are great and the 40's are even louder.....On my 74 I really enjoy the two chanber 40's sound with no cats and no h-pipe....yet
Old 12-12-2001, 10:41 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Muffler question - about tone this time. (Alwyn678)

Which Flowmasters are the quietest?
Old 12-12-2001, 10:54 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: Muffler question - about tone this time. (flynhi)

Which Flowmasters are the quietest?

I know it is not the 40's so it must be the 50's
Old 12-12-2001, 11:16 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

For many many years I had headers, no cats 2.5 true duals and 3 inch mufflers. It gives a deep rich sound. I did it for a couple of reasons. The mufflers causes back pressure. So I figured that expanding 2.5 pipes to 3 mufflers has to be the least restrictive. Now I have 3.5 collectors reduced to 3 inch pipe with 3 inch in out mufflers and 3.5 inch chrome extentions.

Go here to look at my picture. the files size is 120K not a big deal even with modems.
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/gkull/315tires.jpg

Get notified of new replies

To Muffler question - about tone this time.

Quick Reply: Muffler question - about tone this time.