C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver side door locked shut

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 09:18 PM
Maxd_out
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side door locked shut

After work today I went to get into my car and found that I couldn't unlock the driver side door. So I crawled over the console from the passenger side. From the inside I still couldn't unlock it. Once I got home I improvised a "slim Jim" to pop open the lock. This attempt didn't work.

Does anyone have any clues as to how to get the door open or what may be wrong? I see that Ecklers and Mid America don't even have any parts for the door latch. Any suggestions? :cry
Old 12-11-2001, 09:31 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Driver side door locked shut (Maxd_out)

When I don't use mine for a while (over a week or so), something inside tends to stiffen up and I end up not being able to unlock the door. Fiddling with the inside door lock, inside door handle, or ouside door lock has always "loosened it up" and I've been able to open it.

If you've tried that, maybe some WD-40 sprayed into the lock mechanism and down past the window weather strip (in the general direction of the handle mechanism would help.

Good Luck.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:32 PM
RoyArms
Racer

I did this on my passenger side door. In my case it turned out to be the oustide handle was not springing back all the way and the lock will not operate when the handle isn't all the way up. The actual handle that you can see was all the way up flat with the surface of the door, but the way the handle works, there is a lever inder that metal handle that goes down and is supposed to srping back up with the handle, mine had started to stick from non-use and was causeing problems with the locking mechanism. I took the handle out and sprayed some WD40 and it has not stuck yet.

If this is the problem, try pressing the handle all the way down and let go of it real quick to allow it to snap up really quick, then see if you can unlock it.

Hope this helps... sure was a pain when I couldn't get the door open for someone :mad :smash:
Old 12-11-2001, 09:36 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Try looking in the archives there have been several posts on this problem. I didn't see what year it was but if it's a non-power lock system you can try pulling on the inside lever at the same time as trying to move the lock ****. It's probably binding at the latch assembly.
Gary
Old 12-11-2001, 09:36 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

corvette central sells the door latch for 75 bux reconditioned!!

my drivers side door was doing similiar things...

i replaced it with one of their rebuilt units and it works like brand spankin new!!

give em a call..

they are slow though!

:yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 12-11-2001, 10:08 PM
Maxd_out
Instructor

Default Re: Driver side door locked shut (RoyArms)

I just went out and pulled the inside handle and let it "slam" 5-6 times and low and behold it opened. Took some WD-40 and sprayed into the mechanisim as best I could without taking the panel off. I locked and unlocked a few times to let it work in but it still hangs at times. I guess the next step is to take out the mechanisim and spray it real good. It that doesn't work I'll go ahead and call Corvette Central for a replacement.

Thanks a lot guys. :cheers:
Old 12-11-2001, 10:24 PM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you've got the power locks,this seems to be a common problem. i don't dare lock up my car when it gets cold out.previous posts have indicated that if you remove the power door lock mechanism,clean it up and get all the old gunk off of it,clean the contacts,re-oil etc. that it shoud work ok. i'm going to try this myself this winter before ordering anything. i've also found that my drivers door "droops" just slightly when opened so this might be placing a "bind" on things. maybe a hinge rebuild also is due.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:38 PM
Phlash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to clean the latch mechanism of all the old grease and dirt, then relube it. I had to do this to my 68 years ago. Made it work much much better.

Phlash 72 BB Roadster :seeya
Old 12-12-2001, 05:12 AM
76Pitter
Racer

Thats the advice I was going to give you. I have been doing that all year. No amount of spray has helped. Sometimes it works, but mostly you end up
crawling through the passenger side and and fiddling with the handle. Removing the inner door panel and giving it a thorough cleaning is on my agenda because I can just imagine how pissed I will be when the passenger side goes south. I don't think you will have to buy a new mechanism if you do this as well.
Old 12-12-2001, 07:43 AM
Purplerainz
Melting Slicks

hehe - my driver side door is still jammed shut too after weeks of trying .. got the panel off and noticed the rod clips came off , but then I was able to flip the latch and get it open .. sprayed it with wrench and then close it again .. it has only opened twice in two weeks of trying .. dam .. the door is jammed again! .. i'll keep trying again .. it's a pia to enter from the passenger side .. :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Driver side door locked shut

Quick Reply: Driver side door locked shut