C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miami Judge -- Red 72' Owner killed in accident

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 06:19 PM
SPDY 772
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Miami Judge -- Red 72' Owner killed in accident

I found this on the local news Web site and thought some of you C3 guys might have known the Judge, and would definitely want to know of a Corvette brother meeting such a sad passing! I'm still kind of crying inside even though my only connection was our cars and our hometown. Does anyone know if he was a CF member?

Another reminder for the holiday season, please don't let friends drink and drive. CFMADD :mad

---------------------------------------------------------

Driver in fatal crash arrested before
BY TERE FIGUERAS
tfigueras@herald.com

The driver of a pickup truck involved in a fatal accident that killed a Miami-Dade County circuit judge Saturday night has had previous run-ins with the law.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, Ruben Soto, 25, was behind the wheel of the 1991 Chevy truck and failed to obey a stop sign as he crossed Krome Avenue at Southwest 256th Street around 11 p.m.

Heading north on Krome in a 1972 Corvette: Judge Steve Levine, 47, and a female passenger.

Both were killed instantly.

Officers had probable cause to believe that alcohol may have been a factor in the accident, said FHP spokesman Lt. Ernesto Duarte. The results of blood tests won't be back for at least two weeks.

Soto has no history of DUI arrests, Duarte said. He has two prior arrests. In 1998, Soto was charged with disorderly intoxication. Those charges were dropped after he entered a pre-trial intervention program.

A year later, Soto was arrested and charged with carrying a concealed firearm. That case also was dismissed.

Soto, who lives at 1486 NE Eighth Ave. in Homestead, also has two speeding tickets, the most recent in May 2001, when he was also cited for not providing proof of insurance and registration. The officer also cited him for a boom box violation.

Soto and his passenger, 26-year-old Jose Hernandez, were airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital where they remain in the intensive care unit. Their condition was not available Monday evening.

FHP did not release the name of the woman who was traveling with Levine, pending notification of out-of-state kin, Duarte said.

No one has been charged in the accident, but investigators have determined that Levine was not at fault. Levine has no history of traffic violations.

``Excessive speed by the Corvette was not a factor,'' Duarte said.

He was returning from a car show, said wife Tracy Howard.

He didn't normally drive the cherry-red Corvette, opting instead for the family pickup or minivan, she said.

``But he loved to show off that car,'' Howard said.

Her husband left their Redland home around 7 p.m. Saturday to head to a Homestead car show.

``That was the last time I saw him,'' his wife said. ``He said he'd be back early.''

When he wasn't, she called his cellphone. No answer.

``Then this state trooper knocked at my door,'' she said. It was 5 a.m. Sunday.

She later learned the cellphone had been shattered in the accident.

The officer also asked Howard if she knew Levine's passenger. She didn't.

``It was probably someone he gave a ride to,'' she said. ``He was a very, very nice guy.''

Well-respected and well-liked, Levin was known as much for his judicial instincts as his love for his family. He doted on his children, Madison, 12, and Jake, 10, Howard said.

``He was the kind of father who made lunches and took his son to NASCAR races,'' she said.

The nondenominational funeral service will take place at St. Louis Catholic Church, 7270 SW 120th St.

``The funeral home wouldn't have been able to hold everyone who was coming,'' Levy said.

The service is scheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday.

[Modified by SPDY Z06, 5:24 PM 12/11/2001]
Old 12-11-2001, 06:46 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Miami Judge -- Red 72' Owner killed in accident (SPDY Z06)

I believe there are some people that deserve too loose their driving priviledges. THAT GUY IS ONE OF THEM. Very sad. :( :sad:
Old 12-11-2001, 07:14 PM
Randy K
Pro

Default Re: Miami Judge -- Red 72' Owner killed in accident (71,454,4spd)

That guy is a LOOSER. When convicted, addition to any court punishment, the families of the victims should be allowed to beat the crap out of him. :smash: :mad :smash: :mad :smash: :mad
Old 12-11-2001, 08:10 PM
7vette2
Instructor

Default Re: Miami Judge -- Red 72' Owner killed in accident (Randy K)

I have two boys and a wife driving cars.Many times I have told them (and myself) to expect the dumbest most unexpected,stupid moves on the part of other drivers. I have been driving for 35 years and thank God I have never had an accident. Part of this is because when I'm on the road I assume nothing except that there is a very good chance that other driver will do something rediculous.This applys to driving on family trips as well as driving the Vette. Red light for the other driver does not mean he or she is going to stop etc. This is especially important when we are in our pieces of plastic running around on the roads. This is supposed to be fun (and it is) but at the same time we all have to be concerned and undersatnd the seriousness of the possibility that some moron, drunk a-hole is out there. It is not about the right of way - it is about staying alive to enjoy our family,friends and cars another day. This is a very sad but real part of our Corvette culture, but it is something we need to think about. Sorry for the rant but as a New Yorker it is becomming more and more difficult to hear of these avoidable tradegies and the devistation that the families of these victims will suffer. By the way IMHO "Mr. Pickup-truck" should be battered, fried and dipped deep into the Atlantic.
:nonod:
Old 12-11-2001, 08:14 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Miami Judge -- Red 72' Owner killed in accident (7vette2)

thats a shame and heading to a show too .... :(
Old 12-11-2001, 08:15 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

dang that sucks... cars can be replaced but man oh man not lives the guy in the truck should be put in jail or the death penalty... i wish they would let that happen, it seems that there are more drunk driving accidents than there are sober accidents and they are almost always worse when someone is drunk

ZD :mad
Old 12-11-2001, 08:15 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Default Re: Miami Judge -- Red 72' Owner killed in accident (SPDY Z06)

He was returning from a car show, said wife Tracy Howard.

``But he loved to show off that car,'' Howard said.
small condolence, but he died driving the car he loved... :(
Old 12-11-2001, 08:55 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

It is always a terrible thing to lose a person who shares an interest with you, not to mention the lose of a human being. My condolences to his family and wish for justice for the guy who caused this senseless death.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:22 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Miami Judge -- Red 72' Owner killed in accident (LT1driver)

With the Christmas holidays here just remember this story while you are out on the road. If you are drinking don't drive. If you are driving be extra careful out there. There are a lot of non sober people on the road. Be careful we all want to be here next year.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:36 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Miami Judge -- Red 72' Owner killed in accident (Gordonm)

geez Gordon, and a red 72 as well.... MJ

Get notified of new replies

To Miami Judge -- Red 72' Owner killed in accident

Quick Reply: Miami Judge -- Red 72' Owner killed in accident