Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Default Interior Squeaks Eliminated

FOR OLD **** FARTS ONLY!!!

This is not for the majority of owners who like interior noise! I used to be one, my first Corvette could not be loud enough! Now I am old, had lots of Corvettes and "quiet" smooth high-performance is my current goal.

Some of you may have seen post(s) a little over a year ago where I Dynamatted/Ensolited almost everything - outer wheel wells, interior cargo bay, doors, etc. - this brought the sound levels down considerably. I then added a special kind of batting to the rear compartments and added a removable rear compartment divider and rear cargo wall sound deadening insert - again much quieter. Then switched from GYRFs to Michelin A/S ZPs, you guessed it - quieter still. Added Corsa Touring Tiger Sharks w/X-pipe last December - actually quieter than stock except under heavy acceleration - even then, pretty tame. I have been putting off Dynamatting/Ensoliteing the front compartment, because I knew I was ordering a new VE Interior and all the seats and console would have to come out anyway, so I waited on that last step. Well last week the new VE interior "finally" arrived after almost a year of waiting on special materials (like carbon-fiber leather and Ultra-suede). This weekend I finally completed the sound-deadening project, installed the VE interior components and this far exceeded my expectations. The car is almost completely SILENT inside at any speed now - just a faint hint of sound from the rear tires over 40mph, but the interior is so quiet that you can hear the person next to you whispering in their most quiet voice.

The down side of all this deadening, is that for the past year, I now hear all these little interior squeaks, rattles and pops occasionally, that you would never notice otherwise coming from the dash. Looking at he way the console bezel mated with the dash when it was out was like a light bulb going off in my head. This surely had to be the source of some of these obnoxious squeaks. Therefore, I smeared a fine coat of wheel bearing grease on the mating surface of the console bezel before re-installing. Three days later and ALL the dash squeaks I have been noticing are now gone!

So for those VERY FEW of you that are trying to quiet your interiors for audio reasons or otherwise, this might be worth a try (and it is FREE - unless you don't have any grease). I notice some people are covering their bezels in suede and the like and my guess is this would have a similar effect without the lubricant.

Last edited by Choreo; 04-03-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:58 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,686 Posts

good job.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:16 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Has anyone come up with a fix for the sunvisors rattling? Mine are 10 years old and not sure if they did find a permanent fix for later model years. All the other noises are tolerable except for the bouncing/rattling visors.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,547 Likes on 14,107 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Way to track down those pesky noises. Wouldn't have thought about using grease but it sure makes sense.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:44 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Old 04-03-2008, 08:58 AM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been thinking about designing a rear compartment divider for my coupe, would you post pictures of your design?

Thanks and great job on your sound deadening!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:02 AM
mythirdwish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is an anti squeak compound that kinda looks like vaseline with a little Teflon flakes in it......and it goes on clear....I have had it around the garage for years.....the next place you will find squeaks is the door trim panels...the idea that the quieter you make it the more you will hear
Old 04-03-2008, 09:20 AM
NEVERL8C5
Pro

I eliminate almost all my squeaks and rattles by turning up the stereo really loud.The only draw back is I am on my third set of door speakers and those door pins get a little pricey.The last set just arrived Tuesday from a Forum member bonestockZ06 thank you.
If you were to use any kind of grease you would want to try a non offensive odorless compound like dielectric grease.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good call.

I use clear silicone sealer to glue panels back together after removing them in mine.

My car has so much freakin butyl mat, ensolite, and composite barrier material it runs 15s now. and it's still super noisy inside.

You said you added a divider, but your profile says you have a coupe.. so?

Last edited by Kale; 04-03-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:31 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stormrider
I have been thinking about designing a rear compartment divider for my coupe, would you post pictures of your design?

I like the divider idea also.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:34 PM
robert123
Drifting

A cheap fix for the visor rattle is to use electrical tape and wrap it around the visor rod a couple of times. My visor rod is black so the tape is not too visible.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:39 PM
silverbullit99
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

FOR OLD **** FARTS ONLY!! .. I'm a member of that fine group ! Thanks for the post..
Old 04-03-2008, 12:49 PM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by silverbullit99
FOR OLD **** FARTS ONLY!! .. I'm a member of that fine group ! Thanks for the post..
Yep...Here too...Will review your old posts...Have done back, divider, "hole covers"...now for front...Fix one area, anothr pops up..
Tom
Old 04-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Mtnvettes
Racer

Originally Posted by silverbullit99
I too am a member of the fine group you described, but I prefer old coot. Since I am hard of hearing and don't wear hearing aids in the C5, I don't hear all the squeaks you mentioned. I assume that they are there, but I don't notice them, plus the audio (radio and CD) usually drowns them out. So there are some blessings with old age, but not much.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:52 PM
RoadReady
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Choreo
you may have seen post(s) a little over a year ago where I Dynamatted/Ensolited almost everything - outer wheel wells, interior cargo bay, doors, etc.
Got a link to the door project? Being an old fart I naturally can't get Search to find a door how-to. I think this is next 'cause shutting the doors sounds like a Yugo. Wonder if these small pieces would be worth putting in: http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette?frame=1.7972

Thanks
Old 04-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadReady
Got a link to the door project? Being an old fart I naturally can't get Search to find a door how-to. I think this is next 'cause shutting the doors sounds like a Yugo. Wonder if these small pieces would be worth putting in: http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette?frame=1.7972

Thanks
ensolite is more useful as an 'anti rattle gasket' than a noise barrier. For $30, I'd just go buy a roll of ensolite, and do the doors and have some left over.

Ensolite is not really thick enough to be a magic bullet, but it is useful, especially for frequencies over 10khz or so.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:03 PM
RoadReady
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, Kale, looks like I need to go back to search and try to do it right.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior Squeaks Eliminated

Old 04-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stormrider

The rear compartment divider that I used was not "my" design - it is the same carpeted divider that several of the supporting vendors sell. It also had a "minimal" effect on the sound characteristics - more for convenience than sound in the end.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kale
ensolite is more useful as an 'anti rattle gasket' than a noise barrier. For $30, I'd just go buy a roll of ensolite, and do the doors and have some left over.

Ensolite is not really thick enough to be a magic bullet, but it is useful, especially for frequencies over 10khz or so.
I had not seen the pre-cut Ensolite when I did my doors over a year ago - I just used the Ensolite off the rolls from RAAMmat. This really eliminated all the squeeks and creaks from the door panels and gave them a snug fit. You can also see some of the Dynamat in these photos as well as Ensolite behind the speakers...

Old 04-03-2008, 05:41 PM
CircledWagons
Racer

I took care of all of the interior noises of my C5 with a simple trick I learned from my Dad. He got tired of hearing the complaints of this squeaks, that chirps, that door needs oil. So, to fix it he put a small plastic pan in the trunk with two golf ***** in it.

Problem solved -

Quick Reply: Interior Squeaks Eliminated