C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok I bought the engine (see included link), do I change the cam or...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 05:13 PM
TravMsns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok I bought the engine (see included link), do I change the cam or...(ylose, how do you like yours?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=598631275

should I change my torque converter, or should I swap out the cam to a milder one? By the way, the guy claims the engine was completely rebuilt, both top and bottom end.

[Modified by TravMsns, 9:15 PM 12/11/2001]
Old 12-11-2001, 05:21 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: ok I bought the engine (TravMsns)

If my experience means anything. I can tell you that I had the complete performer RPM package on my 350. Ran it for about 1000 miles before a piston exploded and windowed the block. I did not like the cam at all. I would not recommend this cam to anyone. I have not heard of one person that liked this cam. I would seriously recommed you call Comp Cams and let them set you up with 250 - 270 range cam. That is if you can afford to do so after buying the new motor. Hope everything works out great for you. Let me know what you end up doing. :seeya
Old 12-11-2001, 05:26 PM
TravMsns
Instructor

Default Re: ok I bought the engine (ScubaJKD)

other than the cam, how did you like the RPM package? Does it prove to make a 350 as powerful as it claims?
Old 12-11-2001, 05:37 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

The power package is a great idea. Only problem is you had better be darn sure your bottom end is solid. If you notice the claims of Power and Torq the package makes are at about 6,000rpm. I can tell you it ran like a bat out of hell at that RPM. That was right up until it exploded a piston. I had already spent alot of money on the package. IE RPM Heads, RPM Airgap, Victor water pump etc. So I decided to keep all my stuff and build a new short block stroker motor for all my goodies, and get a roller cam from COMP Cams. Big difference is my torq will now be alot farther down the rpm range and much more useable on the street. Edelbrock makes great products for the most part but that RPM cam is really the pits. Good luck and let me know how it all turns out.
Old 12-11-2001, 05:41 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a nice package for $1500, but that bottom end looks like it's got more than 200 hours of running time on it. The heads might have 200 hours, but the bottom????

I hope you got what they advertised. :cheers:
Old 12-11-2001, 05:45 PM
TravMsns
Instructor

Default Re: ok I bought the engine (79MakoL82)

I've talked to the guy several times and he seems to be honest. I got the engine for $1400.

Get notified of new replies

To ok I bought the engine (see included link), do I change the cam or...

Quick Reply: ok I bought the engine (see included link), do I change the cam or...