C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When you buy parts from a major vendor, do you ever notice...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 03:18 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default When you buy parts from a major vendor, do you ever notice...

that the part actually came from someplace else and that place's name, address, phone number, etc. is on the enclosed materials?

Just received my tach board from ZIP, and in the header of the instruction materials was the name of the real vendor.

Wonder if you can order from those types directly, if you could find out about them ahead of things.
Old 12-11-2001, 03:43 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: When you buy parts from a major vendor, do you ever notice... (Larry82)

i have noticed that...And When I took my door panels off I noticed they had Ecklers stamps all over them
Old 12-11-2001, 04:00 PM
Brutal64
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: When you buy parts from a major vendor, do you ever notice... (Larry82)

I ordered body panels from Zip and they arrived in Corvette Central boxes. I quit using Corvette Central a long time ago because I didn't like their quality. Go figure. :rolleyes:
Old 12-11-2001, 08:42 PM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it is all incestuous.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:54 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: When you buy parts from a major vendor, do you ever notice... (virtue4u)

I got door panels from some back yard vendor and the guy was awesome, he boxed my order while we where talking on the phone. Very cool people. I'll have to look up their name again.

But anyway, when the box arrived, it was parts from ecklers. I paid $280 for the pair, ecklers had them $200 a peice and MAD had them for like $215 a peice. I saved $150....that would have been a 3rd door panel from these people...it was awesome survace, and the box came with logo's from the high price recognized vendor. All I gotta say is, I use MAD to get a price, then I take 25% off of the price in MAD....that price is the price I will find the part for, if I just both to look...I usually look beyond zip too. ZIP has good survace, but this other dealer was just as good, and a whole lot cheaper...

Daniel
Old 12-11-2001, 09:02 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: When you buy parts from a major vendor, do you ever notice... (daniel77350)

I ordered Smart Struts from Ecklers but got them to beat VB&P's price (makers of Smart Struts) due to the quote in their catalog. Had to call VB&P to get the instructions though, Ecklers claimed there were no instructions despite the fact the catalog said there were. Not too much to it, basically general tips for installation. Fact is, there were instructions but Eckler's wouldn't get them for me. :mad
Old 12-11-2001, 09:09 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: When you buy parts from a major vendor, do you ever notice... (sharklover)

Very very common. In most cases you wont get a better price even if you discover who the manufacturer is and go direct. They wholesale to each other and retail to you. Exception: I ordered a choke spring from Paragon and it came in a Napa box. Wrong spring too! Went to Napa and got the right one at a much cheaper price. But in that case I bought a "corvette" spring from Paragon, but I bought a "Qjet" spring from Napa, so it was cheaper. :) MJ
Old 12-11-2001, 09:17 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

GM sells the "rights" and many times the original tooling to places like Ecklers , Paragon etc. who then manufactures the part. Who has the tooling then sells the parts to other vendors. Goes on all the time.

Get notified of new replies

To When you buy parts from a major vendor, do you ever notice...

Quick Reply: When you buy parts from a major vendor, do you ever notice...