C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on 5 point seats and 8 point roll cage

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 11:33 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Update on 5 point seats and 8 point roll cage

The old post if you want to read it is at:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=190214

DaveL82 - Had some good ideas and a web site where I could compare dimensions and another seat vendor.

Zpeedstr - gave some good info with this statement:

I've used both the Sparco Pro2000 and the Sparco Ultra.
The Pro is a much more confortable seat, and slightly roomier and 2 lbs heavier.
Remember, for the passenger side: women have hips, even if they aren't big & tall.

I'm only 5'10" 168 lbs slender build. Last night I was at the shop for final seat fitting before they weld up the adjustable mounts. I wore a heavy coat to simulate a fire suit and flak jacket. I bought the Ultra seats. The seat and hip area is fine. The side chest holders are snug, but nice. It will make for a different driving experience on many hours in the seat drives. Any body bigger needs a Pro seat. I can't reach some of the toggle switch controls that I have mounted on the dash on either side of the steering colum with the seat in the rear most position. But that is to be expected with 3 inch 5 point belts.

[Modified by gkull, 9:36 AM 12/11/2001]
Old 12-11-2001, 12:35 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Update on 5 point seats and 8 point roll cage (gkull)

It sounds like you are mounting your seats and building the cage around them?

With the eight point cage how are you going to deal with the t-tops? Isn't there usually a bar running parallel to the side window/t-top mating line?

Get some pictures when you get a chance, I am thinking of building a cage for mine, Probably only a four or 6 point as I have no need for a 8 point..... Wait I have no need for a cage period I just think they look cool!.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:09 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Default Re: Update on 5 point seats and 8 point roll cage (MikeC)

The main reason I have for installing a cage and fire system is personal safety. Second is to comply with rules for the following sanctioning bodies. Listed in their order of importance to me. SCTA, SCCA, and last on my list NHRA

As to your question: Parts of the cage are fitted, but not welded. You have to put the seats in before the cage so you know how to place the bars. You end up with a hoop around the front window and hoop behind the seats. 45 degree bar going to the backend of the rear frame rails. The door forward 45 degree which ties into the base of the front window hoop additional ties go through the fire wall to the frame near the a-arms.

This is a totally custom job with stand offs welded to the frame with flat bolt tabs. The body with roll cage can be unbolted and taken off. The front end is the next step where I will have a super light weight removable front end held on by Zeus fasteners

Old 12-11-2001, 01:11 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

George sounds like your cars coming along :D . Can't wait to see the pics !
Old 12-11-2001, 04:01 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Update on 5 point seats and 8 point roll cage (SmokedTires)

will this car still be street legal gkull? i was under the impression that your c3 was almost your daily a few months back :confused:

sounds like a cool set up, cant wait to see pics...

Is the interior still going to be mostly stock, or spartan racecar style?

ZD
Old 12-11-2001, 04:49 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Default Re: Update on 5 point seats and 8 point roll cage (ZD75blue)

Yes, it will always be street legal. I have been lucky enough to never have been held down by emission testing of any kind. Yes, drive it to work 6-8 months out of the year. After the bars, I'm going to have the interior redone.

A policeman from another state once ask me if it was a street legal vehicle! :lol: I replied, "All you need is lights, mirrors, and a license plate to be legal. Right!"
Old 12-11-2001, 07:12 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

George, congratulations on your 3000th post. That is if you haven't allready noticed. So where are you going to compensate for the probable 100lbs you just added ;)
Old 12-11-2001, 08:00 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Update on 5 point seats and 8 point roll cage (Stingy74)

sounds nice george, gotta see some pics :cool:
Old 12-11-2001, 10:58 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Default Re: Update on 5 point seats and 8 point roll cage (Stingy74)

Well the seats are 12.6 pounds each. Then add what ever the difference is for 5 point belts minus the stock shoulder setup. Who knows maybe it's not all that much of an overall gain. I need to weigh the car. If it's to much I might need more power.
Old 12-14-2001, 03:46 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good day George. I know I am a little slow responding to this post but I tried before and it crashed something. I too would like to see pictures. It sounds like a nice cage. It must be difficult passing the tubes through the firewall. It will surely add stiffness to the car. I am also interested in the removable frontend. Your front end is already custom and lighter then stock. This removable one will drop alot of weight. The cage will add at least 100lbs.
Get some pictures for use
Have a nice weekend

It is a 6 point and when you place a jack in front of either rear wheel 3 wheels come off the ground. Sure stiffened up the body.
This is the stainless cage I built for the mustang

Get notified of new replies

To Update on 5 point seats and 8 point roll cage

Quick Reply: Update on 5 point seats and 8 point roll cage