C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does somebody know if hellcatwheels 16"x8" will fit my 76?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 01:50 AM
MARKUS_P
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Does somebody know if hellcatwheels 16"x8" will fit my 76?

I think they are available in 4" backspacing....
1)Does anybody know if this wheel fits my vette without spacers?
Wrote their tech department a mail - no answer at all :confused:
2)What do you think about Centerline and their quality?
Somebody sent me a picture of a vette with hellcats on it, but foolish as I am I´ve lost it. You don´t have a picture, do you?
3)OOPS, forgot to ask the most important question....
Where´s the cheapest place to buy them?

Any info is really appreciated....., Markus from Austria

[Modified by MARKUS_P, 12:18 AM 12/17/2001]
Old 12-11-2001, 01:59 AM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Default Re: Does somebody know if hellcatwheels 16"x8" will fit my 76? (MARKUS_P)

Those are pretty sweet looking! :cool:
Old 12-11-2001, 02:00 AM
MARKUS_P
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Does somebody know if hellcatwheels 16"x8" will fit my 76? (Chris Fowler '80)

Ohhhhhhhh yeaaaahhhhhhhhhh :cool: :cool:
Old 12-11-2001, 11:34 AM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Does somebody know if hellcatwheels 16"x8" will fit my 76? (MARKUS_P)

If they come with 4" backspacing you should have no problems. I have owned several sets of Centerlines and they are excellent quality wheels. Only think to watch is how you clean them. They come with a clearcoat that easily dulls if not treated properly. However no different than any other polished rim that has been clear coated. :cheers:
Old 12-11-2001, 03:46 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Does somebody know if hellcatwheels 16"x8" will fit my 76? (ScubaJKD)

I got centerline's and no complaints...
best bet is to shop around...if online...watch for the shipping...best bet is to
look for quality shops with free shipping....gotta love the internet..
free shipping and no taxes.... :D
Old 12-11-2001, 03:57 PM
Brutal64
Burning Brakes

Those are exactly what I want to get for mine. :cool: From what I have found out, and that is just checking a couple local stores, Summitt has the best prices on Centerlines. If you end up getting them keep us informed, I would love to see them on your vette.
Old 12-11-2001, 06:24 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Does somebody know if hellcatwheels 16"x8" will fit my 76? (frannsteve)

In addition to backspacing, on a Vette it all depends on how the back side of the wheel is designed. The next hurdle to overcome is caliper clearance. AR TTD's won't fit because the backside of the wheel curves in toward(or actually away from the front of the wheel) the rim too much. TTII's in the 16 in variety barely clear the caliper---maybe by 1/4 in. Ask the vendor if the wheels will fit large caliper brakes.

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 5:28 PM 12/11/2001]
Old 12-12-2001, 02:23 AM
MARKUS_P
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Does somebody know if hellcatwheels 16"x8" will fit my 76? (1970 Stingray)

Thanx for your comments, guys
This is a task where I defenitely need somebodies help.
As you all know I live in Austria/Europe and the next centerline dealer is in Germany! Not worth the effort to make the way up there, btw. my vette is in the middle of a frame off, so the rim has to come to the vette, because it´s still not driveable. That´s my situation.......

Perhaps somebody wanna do me a favor??
If you have any time left or if a shop that sells centerlines is on your way to work or something like that, maybe you wanna drop in and ask the vendor if centerlines with 4" will fit your vette? Or even better, maybe you can
even check it out on your vette?
I don´t wanna end up with a set of rims for appr. 750 $ which don´t fit my car.
I thought about ordering one wheel seperataly, but because I´ve to IMPORT those wheels, speaking of custom taxes and other payments, it´s not an opportunity for me, because you have to pay 35 $ just for starting the custom tax process.
Getting something through the austrian border is a bit complicated, but as everwhere else, money is the key. We have even a law here in Austria so that the country claims a custom tax for the delivery!!:eek:
Imagine, I´ve to pay tax based on the shipment costs, rediculous :U

Anyway, there are may reasons why I´d only order the wheels in a complete set, and I know that it is not an every day task to go shopping for sombody who´s a stranger to you. Well, you know my project ;)
So if there´s anybody out there who want´s to help me, it would be a nice X-mas gift for me :jester
Keep on wavin' Markus

[Modified by MARKUS_P, 12:27 AM 12/12/2001]
Old 12-13-2001, 02:01 AM
MARKUS_P
Burning Brakes

ttt
Old 12-13-2001, 10:14 AM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your customs Tax less from certain countries? . Sometimes countries have trading deals with other countries. Or do they calculate based on" country of origin" Sometimes product going from US to Canada then to X country is cheaper than going directly. But if they use "country of origin" it won't help. Worth checking might save you some bucks. I 'll check with our customs broker I talk with him every day almost. :)
Old 12-13-2001, 12:48 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

I have Centerlines on my car, 17x9.5" with 5" backpspace. I use one 3/8 spacer to clear the caliper which makes the total backspace 4 5/8. 4 5/8 is more than the 4" you want so there should be absolutley no problem fitting them. Hell, I fit 5" worth of backspace on the front with no spacer, and it just cleared the tie rod!!
Old 12-13-2001, 04:38 PM
454Big
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Does somebody know if hellcatwheels 16"x8" will fit my 76? (ylose)

Markus,

das Problem bei 16" Felgen liegt darin, daß diese entweder am Tie-Rod End schleifen oder an der Karosserie hinten.
Da die Felgen heute auf negative Einpreßtiefe ausgelegt sind, die C3 Vette aber positive Einpresstiefe braucht ist das ohne Spacer nicht so einfach.
Ich bin am überlegen, ob ich ´18" Felgen montiere, da fällt das Problem mit den schleifenden Federn (hinten) und TRE (vorne) weg.
Nach wie vor bleibt bei Größen ab 9" dann aber das Problem Trailing Arm....
Ich bin mittlerweile soweit, daß ich die Offsets kaufen werde.
Aus dem BMW Regal kann man im übrigen auch nette Felgen erwerben, der LK 120mm paßt auch auf die Vette (4,75" = 120,7mm)
Old 12-13-2001, 06:04 PM
Anar76
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Does somebody know if hellcatwheels 16"x8" will fit my 76? (454Big)

hrmm...
Only thing i can make out there is "die C3 vette"
heh
I am also interested in these wheels.
So what size do we need to get exactly ?
Old 12-13-2001, 08:25 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Does somebody know if hellcatwheels 16"x8" will fit my 76? (Stingy74)

I have Centerlines on my car, 17x9.5" with 5" backpspace. I use one 3/8 spacer to clear the caliper which makes the total backspace 4 5/8. 4 5/8 is more than the 4" you want so there should be absolutley no problem fitting them. Hell, I fit 5" worth of backspace on the front with no spacer, and it just cleared the tie rod!!
Yeah, I think the 17in wheels give a little more wiggle room. I tried 16 x8 with 4.5 backspacing and the hit into the rear spring and parking brake cable. The cable coulda been moved but it was less painful for me to just order the 16x8 with 4 in backspacing.

With the 17 inch rims your gaining another 1/2 inch clearance. 16's are a little more problemsome.

Clearing the caliper depends on the curvature of the back of the wheel or spokes.

Yeah!---and what 454big said too! :lol: :lol:

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 7:27 PM 12/13/2001]
Old 12-16-2001, 02:07 PM
454Big
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Does somebody know if hellcatwheels 16"x8" will fit my 76? (1970 Stingray)

Sorry friends, I was in a hurry when I tried to tell Markus_P about the rocket science of finding a matching wheel for his Vette.
Unfortunately I tried to describe it in my mother language german, so I have to apologize for any inconvenience for you native english speakers.
BTW "die C3 Corvette" does mean nothing else than "the C3 Corvette" and not the interpretation of "die".
The C3 will definitely not die, I will keep mine..... :yesnod:

....eh, I think I will keep both of them....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :yesnod: :yesnod: :D

(and probably buy another one...... ZR-1 would be nice...... :D )

Get notified of new replies

To Does somebody know if hellcatwheels 16"x8" will fit my 76?

Quick Reply: Does somebody know if hellcatwheels 16"x8" will fit my 76?