C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Shifter Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Gordon Vibbert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Shifter Removal Question

I am ready to swap C5 to C6 Z06 shifter. I've read all tech info I could find, but I have just one question before removal: Do I need to do anything with the "nuetral adjusting pin" on the stock shifter before removal?
Thanks in advance
Old 03-29-2008, 10:11 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

The one you are removing will not affect the new shifter installation.
If you are changing the whole assembly, the new shifter needs to be locked in neutral to adjust the shift rod.
I think the bases are the same, so it would be a lot simpler installation just to change the shifter mechanism and leave the base in place. Then you do not have to be concerned about getting the transmission shaft connected to the base shaft correctly.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Yep,,,if you just remove the shift lever/top plate, the new one should just bolt back on.

Kirban shifter vs stock

As you can see in the pic,,the pin is inserted. If you want to you can check the housing alignment (pin should slide right in when the tranny is in nuteral.) or just reinstall the new shifter.

Like TEXHAWK0 ststed, unless you remove the lower housing, the alignment should not change.

BC
Old 03-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Gordon Vibbert
Advanced

Thanks Texhawko and Bill. I think I will just change the top and not worry about the base. Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:43 AM
blackconv
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gordon Vibbert
Thanks Texhawko and Bill. I think I will just change the top and not worry about the base. Thanks again.

I would put the whole assembly in and do the shifter alignment at the same time. If the shifer is not aligned properly you will not get the most out of your new shifter, and could possibly cause damage to the transmission over a long period of time.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:30 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by blackconv
I would put the whole assembly in and do the shifter alignment at the same time. If the shifer is not aligned properly you will not get the most out of your new shifter, and could possibly cause damage to the transmission over a long period of time.
I would think that if you are not experiencing shifting problems with the old shifter, the alignment must be alright.
If you change bases, there is always the possibility that you will not get it adjusted back correctly.
As long as all the gears fully engage, and it disengages in neutral, all should be good.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:44 PM
blackconv
Instructor

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I would think that if you are not experiencing shifting problems with the old shifter, the alignment must be alright.
If you change bases, there is always the possibility that you will not get it adjusted back correctly.
As long as all the gears fully engage, and it disengages in neutral, all should be good.

Just the opposite. If you change the whole shifter assembly you will have to perform the shifter adjustment and you know it will be adjusted properly, there will not be be any possibility of it being out of adjustment.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:31 PM
DAVIDZ06
Intermediate

I did this mod about 2 months ago. With my stock shifter my car felt like it had a lot of "slack" in the drivetrain. After I installed the '08 Z06 shifter, it took a lot of it out. However, it was almost impossible to shift it into reverse. I had to physically force it into reverse, and it eventually got to the point where it wouldn't shift into reverse at all. So I decided to tear it back down to check it out. I found that the shifter base had slotted holes for adjustment. After adjusting it a couple of times, it would shift into all gears just fine. But, now the "slack" is back. Anybody else had this happen?
Old 03-30-2008, 02:27 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVIDZ06
I did this mod about 2 months ago. With my stock shifter my car felt like it had a lot of "slack" in the drivetrain. After I installed the '08 Z06 shifter, it took a lot of it out. However, it was almost impossible to shift it into reverse. I had to physically force it into reverse, and it eventually got to the point where it wouldn't shift into reverse at all. So I decided to tear it back down to check it out. I found that the shifter base had slotted holes for adjustment. After adjusting it a couple of times, it would shift into all gears just fine. But, now the "slack" is back. Anybody else had this happen?
I've installed several C6Z shifters and I take careful note of where the bolts set on the slotted holes of the stock shifter before removal and replicate that fit with the new set up. I replace the entire unit to take advantage of the new machining, newer centering springs, etc. I also activate both the stock shifter's neutral pin before removal and the Z's neutral before installation. I also use a flashlight to make sure the shift rod notch is exactly centered in the shifter sleeve before I tighten that up. I've no problems with any of the shifters and it's been several years since the first one.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Gordon Vibbert
Advanced

Thanks everyone. Did swap, had to adjust, I think I will like it. Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:48 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Gordon Vibbert
Thanks everyone. Did swap, had to adjust, I think I will like it. Thanks again.
Tip: If you should ever need the pin and have lost/misplaced it, an 1/8" drill bit fits the hole perfectly.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:29 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default mark shift box location........

Last C5 is correct to mark the location of the C5 shift box before removal. I've done three C6 Z06 shifter assy swaps , and Last C5 has the correct proceedure for ease of installation. Be sure to use Blue Lock tite on the three Torx mounting bolts .

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Shifter Removal Question

Quick Reply: C5 Shifter Removal Question