C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest on LT-1 w/282S cam rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 08:04 PM
BLT-71
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latest on LT-1 w/282S cam rebuild

Okay I am working out the bugs now that I have it running with no oil leaks and no more fires, literally. I set the timing and I was off about a tooth but I will change that when I am ready to put all the shielding back on. Till then the dist. will be turned a little funny.
The cam is not as lopey as I thought it would be but the lifters are still real noisy. I will be re adjusting those in the next couple of days.
I did drive it around the neighborhood with no problems. The bit of throttle I did give it was nice and smooth on the acceleration.
I will have a lot of clean up on the car and engine bay and the garage and tool box are just trashed.
Old 12-10-2001, 08:45 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Latest on LT-1 w/282S cam rebuild (BLT-71)

I was also surprised how smooth the idle is, compared to my old hyd cam. My idle is very smooth at about 750rpm with a very slight lope. The valvetrain will quiet down quite a bit once you get it set to hot specs. Almost a little too quiet in my opinion. I can barely hear mine at idle now, but they will make more noise at cruising rpm and then it sounds great. Where was the fire? I kept getting small flashes of fire durring cam break in. :eek: I could not figure out what was leaking onto the headers and causing the flames. I later relized that the #7 header tube was so hot that it was thining out the grease in the bellcrank and dripping onto the collector. :eek:
Old 12-10-2001, 10:21 PM
BLT-71
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Latest on LT-1 w/282S cam rebuild (tsw71)

The oil sending fitting on the rear of the block was leaking and dripping down the back of the block onto the header.
I am surprised too by the vacuum was at 14 at idle. The original LT-1 cam usually was at 11, but the cam was old and worn.
How is your power range with the cam.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:47 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Latest on LT-1 w/282S cam rebuild (BLT-71)

I have found that is really comes alive by about 2800 and pulls very hard to 5700. It will rev past 6000 easily, but you can tell that it has passed it's peak. The Comp cams have 2 degrees advance ground in. I had thought about retarding it to compensate, but decided to leave it straight up and do my cast crank and stock rods a favor :smash: :smash: It is actually better this way as it makes the power more usable for the street. I recorded actual numbers while degreeing the cam for use with my desk top dyno program and compared them with several other cams. The power and torque are very similar to the LT-1 cam, but it is made 1000-1500rpm lower with much higher torque right off an idle.

Tom :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Latest on LT-1 w/282S cam rebuild

Quick Reply: Latest on LT-1 w/282S cam rebuild