C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plan of attack for "winter project". opinions(long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 07:20 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plan of attack for "winter project". opinions(long)

I want to do suspencion and drive line this winter. I figure it'll be out for 3-5 months, but Im fed up with looking at nasty parts, when all I need to do is take the time to clean them and paint them. So Im going to do it!. I also believe this will make it easier to work on in the future.

Im starting at the front and working my way back. Im literally going to do everything. Starting with the headlight assembly. Maybe I'll take off the valance panel thing and paint the chassis extention under it, we'll see(might as well).

Anyway, Im just wondering if anyone has done this. Im detailing everything, and replacing all rubber parts while Im at it. Im also detailing the engine, and depending on funds, I may attempt to add power while Im in there.

So what are your opinions on where I should start? Should i do the front suspencion in the middle of doing the engine bay(for A-arm removal purposes)?

Also, has anyone done anything similar and have a web site on the procedures with pictures? I saw one where the guy redid the engine bay, and rear suspencion and front suspencion. I cannot remember it. Im looking for motivation. :jester

Daniel
Old 12-10-2001, 07:23 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: plan of attack for "winter project". opinions(long) (daniel77350)

Daniel please dont do it you will end up with the frame off doing a complete restoration. This is how it all begins. The HORROR :eek:
Old 12-10-2001, 07:32 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: plan of attack for "winter project". opinions(long) (ScubaJKD)

:lol:
I already considered the frame off. I don't have the room or equiptment for it...so don't worry about that.

I just need to clean it up, its making me mad(you should see my room, you'd think I wanted the car dirty)....

Plus I need to replace the bushings and rebuild the power steering, not to mention the radiator support is rusted out, the rear spring is going, and my bearing(front and back) need attnetion, also Im considering a cam swap, and defanitly an intake swap(thanks pat)...SOOOO I might as well..."while Im at it" I think it'll make me happier.

Daniel
Old 12-10-2001, 07:33 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled my engine and then the front suspension, A-frames, ect. I sanded and painted the front frame and replaced the radiator support. I rebuilt the engine and all the suspension. I had done the rear end a few years earlier. I spent about 6000 on parts and it took one winter.
Old 12-10-2001, 07:42 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: plan of attack for "winter project". opinions(long) (73Ken73)

Im going to attempt to do it with the engine block and heads still together and in the frame(unless I find good heads for a good price, then I'll do a head swap). The intake and pulleys and accessories will be removed. This will probably be harder, but I have to at least try...I know if I pull the engine I'll dig myself a grave.

Daniel
Old 12-10-2001, 07:42 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Daniel
I highly suggest start by making a list and of the items you are going to work on in the order that you are going to work on them. And stick to the list as best you can. It will save you a lot of frustration and you will be able to see continues accomplishments. Good luck You will have lots of fun.
Bob :)
Old 12-10-2001, 07:46 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Damn you went and said the ultimate expression of a lost soul " WHILE I AM AT IT" now I know you are too far gone for any intervention. Well since I am right there with you I will give you my 2 cents.

You already have a very very nice vette and I love that color. Rather than jump from cam and intake to rear suspension and then back to radiator support I would recommend the following:

Dont go to far and continually expand the scope. Pick the area that is the closest to mechanical failure or in the worst shape and focus on that only for now. It is so easy to get caught up in the " well I will just do this while I am here thing " and then BAMB your sunk, your car is in parts, you cant drive it, and your pissed.

I would start with the suspension and get her going in a straight line and over bumps nicely. Clean everything you can. Repaint as necessary, and maybe do some goodies like fiberglass rear spring and good shocks. Throw in a littly poly bushings here and there and you are ahead of the game.

Each phase of the suspension can be planned and executed in relatively short downtime so you can still enjoy your vette. Then when you go hog wild and get your new cam and carb setup you will be able to handle all that new power.

But of course every bit of advise I just gave you I have completely ignored and torn into everything like a wild boar looking for slop.

Stop the madness :lol:
Old 12-10-2001, 07:51 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Damn you went and said the ultimate expression of a lost soul " WHILE I AM AT IT" now I know you are too far gone for any intervention.

But of course every bit of advise I just gave you I have completely ignored and torn into everything like a wild boar looking for slop.

Stop the madness :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Thanks for the advice. I think you have motivated me to narrow my scope. I guess taking things out twice but driving the car every other month is better then taking it out once and not driving for 5 months while Im trying to get it all done at once.

Im going to have to sit down with a peice of paper and use yours and 76 red's advice and make a list of what i want to do in the order i want to do it. Then I can hopefully get an idea of the time im looking at for each "section".

Daniel
Old 12-10-2001, 07:53 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

I'm doing EXACTLY the same thing this winter. I've already started and you can see what I'm doing at my website. It's not very detailed but it gives the idea. I started with the top of the engine and compartment as phase #1. That complete, I headed to the nose area. I rebuilt the headlamp assemblies and cleaned up and painted everything in that area. Now I'm working on the front suspension and detailing the underside area of the engine compartment.
From there I will work my way back on the underside detailing, fixing, and replacing!
Old 12-10-2001, 08:00 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Daniel,

A great piece of advise a buddy gave me was to create a website. Nothing fancy but it will allow you to document where you are with the vette. Each project planned, detailed specification. It kind of forces you to plan and then follow your progress. Also helps to show yourself just how far you have come and will help to keep you motivated. Mine is nothing fancy but you might check it out for some ideas. Im rooting for you buddy. You can do it.
Old 12-10-2001, 08:12 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

lbell101;

you are a couple steps ahead of me, and it looks like I'll be fallowing close in your footsteps, however I may do the top of the engine last, we'll see. Do you mind if I hit you up with a lot of questions as I go?(since all this is fresh in your mind)

ScubaJKD;

Good idea. I wil have to start on that tonight. And thanks for the words of encouragement.

The only thing stopping me now is I need to get clearance from dad to use the area under the back porch as a "garage" The area is not perfect, but it is covered, and does allow a good bit of room to work to spread peices out for paint, and setup a work bench for comfort. It is also open on one side so I won't be "disconnected from the world". The only problem is, we live on the water, and thanks to some recent hurricains, our back yards ground water level is about 2 inches under the soil, so I have to make sure my car won't sink and tear up the yard, or worse, get stuck.

Daniel
Old 12-10-2001, 08:21 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Ask all the questions you want!
Old 12-10-2001, 08:22 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Daniel,
All I can say is have fun doing it!!! As you get in to it, other things have a way of surfacing that need attention. Do not get more than a couple of things going on at once because you tend to forget the finer details of certain things. Take plenty of pics before disassembly. Be sure they are of the way things connect or what type of bolts and ect.. Put everything in a plastic bag or something and mark it clearly. Use a AIM manual and make notes, not quick notes but real good ones. Go through catalogs and price the things you want to do and make a list and follow through. Again, have a blast.
Neil in Tenn
Old 12-10-2001, 09:25 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: plan of attack for "winter project". opinions(long) (Nomad78SA)

I would do the entire front end, the entire rear if it needed it or only the bearings and stop ! The car can be driven now. and it may be time to drive it at this point. Even if you have the time, the money should be running down.

Then take the engine out. Clean and paint it, whatever else to it. Do anything else like the rad. support.
Paint the engine compartment the body color, or what I did, off white.
I've painted 2 cars both ways. The body color really sets the engine compartment off and with clear coat it gleams and is easy to clean.
The other, white allows you to see any hint of dirt and get rid of it. It also allows you to work on the engine without a trouble light. I can see every little spot under there.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:39 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yu mus focus Daniel-son.. focus all powwa. Mr. Miagie was right. Focus on one area at a time. This way you will not overlook something by spreading your efforts all over the place. The rear suspension is a great place to start. That's what I'm gonna do this winter. When you get up front, the suspension, radiator, and engine can be done almost together, as things are tied together up there. Good Luck :cheers: :cheers:
Old 12-11-2001, 04:04 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: plan of attack for "winter project". opinions(long) (Silvr77)

Yu mus focus Daniel-son.. focus all powwa. Mr. Miagie was right. Focus on one area at a time. This way you will not overlook something by spreading your efforts all over the place.
:lol: . I get that all the time... :lol:

anyway, Im going to be diving into the front suspension first, as I need to rebuild my powersteering before I do to much more damage. At least this way when I get done with the front, if its killing me, I can drive the car because my PS is working. But if I can hold out longer, I'll go right into the rear suspension.

I have made a pretty in depth list, and Im checking it over trying to get my colors close to factory. After that I will find all the dealers for the parts I plan to replace(or am still considering replacing).

I plan to pull it into the "cubby" friday december 14th, and get the work lights setup, and all tools at arms length and get the car jacked up and ready for me to dive into it, then I plan to start dissasembly saturday December 15.

My plan is to clean and repaint each part as it comes off the car. I know this may seem unefficient(makes more since to clean and repaint all at once), but I think doing it this way will keep my work area clean and give me more room, because as the parts are repainted, they can be moved inside and organized.

Daniel
Old 12-11-2001, 04:10 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Sounds like a god plan Daniel. Link over tothe Vette Brakes website and check out the heavy duty A arms, and transverse front spring setup. ITS WAY COOL. I have some pics on my website if interested. I cant wait to see how this system performs. Have a blast buddy. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To plan of attack for "winter project". opinions(long)

Old 12-11-2001, 04:42 PM
Ace77
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Place an order for some POR-15. You'll want it for the rad support, control arms, and rear suspension.
Unless of course you are going for NCRS.
Old 12-11-2001, 05:08 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: plan of attack for "winter project". opinions(long) (Ace77)

Im going origional apearing.

But I need it to last aproximatly 7-8 years without getting to bad. I plan to do a full frame off after college. When I do the frame off I will do the NCRS thing :eek:

I hear POR was hard to remove after it was applied. Is this true?

Daniel
Old 12-11-2001, 05:17 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Daniel, Daniel, Daniel. and here I thought we got you all straightened out. NCRS huh. Oh well, now you are really to far gone for me to help. :cheers:

Quick Reply: plan of attack for "winter project". opinions(long)