Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] A Soon To Be Official Update: GM Warranty on Aftermarket Tuned or Calibrated Engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default A Soon To Be Official Update: GM Warranty on Aftermarket Tuned or Calibrated Engines

A GM bulletin will be distributed to Dealers shortly.

This post is for those who have 100% bone stock Corvettes and want clarity on the tuning issue.

GM's New Software:

GM is rolling out a new procedure that can identify when a non-GM calibration has been installed in a vehicle. The new process checks a log to see what calibrations have been added. If the calibration does not have an official GM part number it, it is instantly identified as a tune or other calibration not supported by GM. If the log contains a GM part number the process digs a little deeper to find a series of numbers buried in other modules. This confirms that the part number is not a mask for a non-GM calibration. If the calibration is found to be a NON-GM calibration, as from a tune, GM is advising dealers that the warranty repair on the powertrain will not be honored. The dealership will need to provide proof if a powertrain failure has occurred that the calibrations are GMs before any repair is performed.

Furthermore, since GM can not determine what the impact of a non-GM calibration effect will have on the entire powertrain. GM will void the remaining powertrain warranty. This means engine, trans, drive shafts and differential will no longer be covered. This process has been tested on different Corvettes and other GM vehicles including Diesel's. The process correctly identifies cars with non-GM calibrations.

This also addresses those that think re-flashing the ECU before taking it back to the dealer is not detectable…..it is.

Owners, if you have not installed a tune or engine modification, don’t do it if you value your warranty. The consequences are giving up the 5 yr 100,000 mile powertrain protection. If you have a tune already installed then be upfront if you encounter a problem.

NOTE: If anybody has had a true problem with a 100% bone stock car under normal driving conditions and needs further assistance feel free to PM me.

It goes back to the old saying; if you want to play you have to pay......or be willing to at some later date.

Mike
Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 AM
augydog
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
A GM bulletin will be distributed to Dealers shortly.

This post is for those who have 100% bone stock Corvettes and want clarity on the tuning issue.

GM's New Software:

GM is rolling out a new procedure that can identify when a non-GM calibration has been installed in a vehicle. The new process checks a log to see what calibrations have been added. If the calibration does not have an official GM part number it, it is instantly identified as a tune or other calibration not supported by GM. If the log contains a GM part number the process digs a little deeper to find a series of numbers buried in other modules. This confirms that the part number is not a mask for a non-GM calibration. If the calibration is found to be a NON-GM calibration, as from a tune, GM is advising dealers that the warranty repair on the powertrain will not be honored. The dealership will need to provide proof if a powertrain failure has occurred that the calibrations are GMs before any repair is performed.

Furthermore, since GM can not determine what the impact of a non-GM calibration effect will have on the entire powertrain. GM will void the remaining powertrain warranty. This means engine, trans, drive shafts and differential will no longer be covered. This process has been tested on different Corvettes and other GM vehicles including Diesel's. The process correctly identifies cars with non-GM calibrations.

This also addresses those that think re-flashing the ECU before taking it back to the dealer is not detectable…..it is.

Owners, if you have not installed a tune or engine modification, don’t do it if you value your warranty. The consequences are giving up the 5 yr 100,000 mile powertrain protection. If you have a tune already installed then be upfront if you encounter a problem.

NOTE: If anybody has had a true problem with a 100% bone stock car under normal driving conditions and needs further assistance feel free to PM me.

It goes back to the old saying; if you want to play you have to pay......or be willing to at some later date.

Mike
My tuner told me basiclally the same thing 6 months ago. (correction, almost a year ago)

Thanks for the clarification for the forum.

augydog

Last edited by augydog; 03-27-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:07 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Mike, Thanks for the info !!!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Bigbucks
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, this does it for me. I was gonna' get a Halltech/tune...but not anymore. If I blow this engine up, I want my 5-year warranty to be honored w/o question. The few extra hp isn't worth it, especially with the not-improbable possiblity of engine failure as reported on this forum.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by augydog
My tuner told me basiclally the same thing 6 months ago.

Thanks for the clarification for the forum.

augydog
augy,

What part exactly were you told? This information didn't even exist 6 months ago?

At least you were informed about something!

Mike
Old 03-27-2008, 11:15 AM
fiveodude
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It only makes since, I don't know why anybody would expect otherwise.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:17 AM
GrampZ
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

... Furthermore, since GM can not determine what the impact of a non-GM calibration effect will have on the entire powertrain. ...
Sounds like a knowing violation of Magnuson-Moss. But what the heck, this is business.

Maybe they did a financial risk analysis to compare predicted costs of defending warranty lawsuits on tuned cars versus costs of honoring those otherwise warrantied items.

Worse still, maybe in such a financially austere market, they were trying to identify opportunities to reduce costs and came up with this.

Like some other poster commented, what lawyer is going to invest his/her time on a contingency basis for recovering say the value of a blown motor - even if the damages are trebled under a consumer protection statute you're still looking at only say 1/3 of what, $45,000 = $15,000.

And what consumer is going to pay a lawyer $250-$400 /hour to fight this fight. By the time the case is filed and up and running attorney's fees will already exceed the amount in controversy.

How many members will now do "just one more track day" then have the dealer reflash the ECM with a stock GM program?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bigbucks
The few extra hp isn't worth it, especially with the not-improbable possiblity of engine failure as reported on this forum.

GM wants to treat every customer fairly and will absolutely stand behind it's products.

As I have repeated in the past, anyone who has attended the NCM HPDEs has seen first hand how attentive Team Corvette is in addressing and helping anyone with issues.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:24 AM
allegretto
Burning Brakes

Oh Boy, something tells me that some people are suffering "shrinkage" right now...

Thanks for the heads-up Mike

Old 03-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GrampZ
Sounds like a knowing violation of Magnuson-Moss. But what the heck, this is business.

Maybe they did a financial risk analysis to compare predicted costs of defending warranty lawsuits on tuned cars versus costs of honoring those otherwise warrantied items.

Worse still, maybe in such a financially austere market, they were trying to identify opportunities to reduce costs and came up with this.

Like some other poster commented, what lawyer is going to invest his/her time on a contingency basis for recovering say the value of a blown motor - even if the damages are trebled under a consumer protection statute you're still looking at only say 1/3 of what, $45,000 = $15,000.

And what consumer is going to pay a lawyer $250-$400 /hour to fight this fight. By the time the case is filed and up and running attorney's fees will already exceed the amount in controversy.

How many members will now do "just one more track day" then have the dealer reflash the ECM with a stock GM program?
Tune or not, if a valve spring breaks and destroys my engine, I think GM should replace it.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GrampZ

GrampZ

This is more of a heads-up.

Keep in mind this is the general gist of what will be released. I'm not a lawyer and I wouldn't take every word here as a legal definition yet. I'm sure the Bulletin will be more comprehensive and address the powertrain issue that may seem vague now.

Mike
Old 03-27-2008, 11:34 AM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Makes sense to me
I would not warentee a custome that started adding more circuits to his elecrical panel in his house after i left
Old 03-27-2008, 11:40 AM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Good information! Thanks.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:43 AM
deerhunter
Intermediate

This may be a stupid question but is this just for NEW cars i have a GMPP on my older 2001 which is modded will this affect my warranty?

Deerhunter
Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn that really sucks, only due to it is the whole drive train not just the motor.

guess i will stick to my non tuned, killerbee, corsa x pipe and corsa exhaust atleast for a few years til i get bored.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dicecal
Tune or not, if a valve spring breaks and destroys my engine, I think GM should replace it.

The truth is a tune may or may not be the reason a valve spring breaks. Despite a 'safe' tune (if there is such a thing), it may be unknown if it really caused anything or not. The bottom line is that without a tune the car clearly is covered no questions asked. I don't think GM has a choice and has to draw this line. Everyone has ideas on increasing HP, whether it's to lean it out (make it run hotter) or bump the RPM...There is a degree of safety from the stock calibration and GM is willing to stand behind it if it fails. A tune will take a bite into that safety margin, even if we think it's myopic.

I'm not suggesting people should or should not get tunes. That's a personal choice. It's just nice to know the possible circumstances beforehand. This really isn't anything new. Heck I'm guilty as charged with my Katech motor.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:50 AM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

augy,

What part exactly were you told? This information didn't even exist 6 months ago?

At least you were informed about something!

Mike

Mike,

I did a search and couldn't find the original thread, but basically here's what it said:

My tuner told me back in May 2007, that for the '07 and newer vehicles, new software was in place that would Identify if the vehicle had been tuned by software different from GM.

If the software had been changed of modified, GM could most likely void the warranty if there were engine problems.

You have confirmed that it is indeed true.

augydog

Get notified of new replies

To A Soon To Be Official Update: GM Warranty on Aftermarket Tuned or Calibrated Engines

Old 03-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

The truth is a tune may or may not be the reason a valve spring breaks. Despite a 'safe' tune (if there is such a thing), it may be unknown if it really caused anything or not. The bottom line is that without a tune the car clearly is covered no questions asked. I don't think GM has a choice and has to draw this line. Everyone has ideas on increasing HP, whether it's to lean it out (make it run hotter) or bump the RPM...There is a degree of safety from the stock calibration and GM is willing to stand behind it if it fails. A tune will take a bite into that safety margin, even if we think it's myopic.

I'm not suggesting people should or should not get tunes. That's a personal choice. It's just nice to know the possible circumstances beforehand. This really isn't anything new. Heck I'm guilty as charged with my Katech motor.

We can agree to disagree on this one. Since I have a 2006, my plans to get an extended warranty just went out the window. Looks like Katech will be in my future as well.
chxwing
Instructor

I have a 07 Z with 1300 miles on it and just added a ECS supercharger. I fully understand GM. I am only going to drive my car a limited amount and I will always make sure I have good Gas and that I let the oil get warm first also. With this voiding my or anybody Else's warranty that tells me that with a mod the tune is very important. We all need to make sure that who we let work on our cars and who we let tune it fully knows what they are doing. That is why I didn't order a ECS SC kit and get a local shop to install and tune my care. I sent it to ECS to get a tune from someone with lots of experience. I know that I could still have a problem but it does make me feel more comfortable with their tune.

David
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by augydog
Mike,

I did a search and couldn't find the original thread, but basically here's what it said:

My tuner told me back in May 2007, that for the '07 and newer vehicles, new software was in place that would Identify if the vehicle had been tuned by software different from GM.

If the software had been changed of modified, GM could most likely void the warranty if there were engine problems.

You have confirmed that it is indeed true.

augydog

GM has always been able to read re-flash counts, this is almost like DNA samples.

Quick Reply: [Z06] A Soon To Be Official Update: GM Warranty on Aftermarket Tuned or Calibrated Engines