C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SpeedDirect Steeroids Rack and Pinion kit

Old 12-10-2001, 03:49 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SpeedDirect Steeroids Rack and Pinion kit

I called SpeedDirect to get an update on if they are still going to ship pre-ordered Steeroid rack and pinion kits by Dec 31, and she told me they may actually get shipped out earlier, that things are looking good. That would be good for me cause I could get the Steeroids kit installed before the car goes to the chassis shop the first week of January to have the turbo system fabricated - eliminating the chance of any sort of interference problems.

Just wanted to keep you other guys interested in this rack/pinion ysstem up to date - it sounds like Speed Direct is finally done with it.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:54 PM
jimduchek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SpeedDirect Steeroids Rack and Pinion kit (Monty)

Is there a way to get a faster ratio r&p on there? One of the main reasons I'd want the conversion is significantly faster steering...

RE: the twin turbos. You're a nutcase, Monty. But hey, more power is always good, eh?
:cheers:

Jim
Old 12-10-2001, 05:14 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: SpeedDirect Steeroids Rack and Pinion kit (jimduchek)

They're saying 2.75 ratio. There are many companies like Woodward who make pinion gears and assemblies in different ratios (1.57 thru 3.92), but I think 2.75 would be a good balanced ratio for most. Maybe if you were doing autocross or something you might need a tighter ratio.

I've been wanting to go the turbo route for a few years now. In my opinion, it's the ultimate power adder, but it's certainly the most complex and costly. It should be cool though. Of course, it's a never ending cycle - adding more power requiring strengthening the chassis and driveline, etc.
Old 12-10-2001, 05:34 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: SpeedDirect Steeroids Rack and Pinion kit (Monty)

Monty, make NO mistake, you need have the steering done completely, and proven well before the turbo install, the exhaust system routing is right around that wheel input linkage, and will cause troubles.....bad enougn on my simple system, but then I had to go to unequal length headers off some sort of race car...they will kill my lower end torque numbers, I know, but short of spending a fortune, no other choice....

I think my steering ratio is that 2.75 lock to lock also...and that is about one full turn faster than the stock setup...so that will be a very significant imporvement....;-)))

I still wonder about the open road 'feel' though....well wait and see, I guess.....haven't dumped the original stuff yet though...

GENE
Old 12-12-2001, 02:39 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: SpeedDirect Steeroids Rack and Pinion kit (mrvette)

Be sure and let us all know how it feels, drives, etc. especially over the stock system.... we all want to know. :cheers:
Old 12-12-2001, 09:23 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: SpeedDirect Steeroids Rack and Pinion kit (LT1driver)

Well, it's going to be spring before I get the car back on the road, maybe longer as the wiring is a bitch, I have some of it done, but that is maybe only 30% of what needs doing....I did decide to redye my carpeting though, it had sun bleached badly, so I did the bathtub thing with it, dark brown now, should match seats nicely....was faded somehow to a hideous yellow orange color, had to be colorblind to appreciate it...
I can't do the injection wiring yet, as the engine is out and it will be a couple of months yet before it can be reinstalled, and of course any final steering mods done.....I"m going to be busy as hell with other things for the next two months or so....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To SpeedDirect Steeroids Rack and Pinion kit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SpeedDirect Steeroids Rack and Pinion kit