C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a ZZ4 tomorrow: What other parts do I need with it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 01:18 PM
andre77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering a ZZ4 tomorrow: What other parts do I need with it?

Flex plate? Short pump? anything else? Thanks
Old 12-10-2001, 01:40 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Ordering a ZZ4 tomorrow: What other parts do I need with it? (andre77)

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/bseery/zz41.htm

This has some good info.
Old 12-10-2001, 03:25 PM
1980ZZ4
Racer

Default Re: Ordering a ZZ4 tomorrow: What other parts do I need with it? (andre77)

Congrats on your engine choice. The engine comes with the flexplate for an automatic trans, so unless your using otherwise, you don't need that. You need a fuel pump, short water pump (The edelbrock aluminum pump is really nice), you need a mini starter, carburetor, and spark plug wires. This should set you up pretty nice. By the way, if you want some really good advice on these items or your ZZ4, contact Scott at http://www.salleechevrolet.com He works in their speed shop and has been very helpful in all these issues and more.

Good Luck
Old 12-10-2001, 03:44 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Ordering a ZZ4 tomorrow: What other parts do I need with it? (1980ZZ4)

Knida depends on how much you want to spend, too... You can blow a lot of money on the "While I'm in here... " type parts, like clutch, belts, radiator, transmission, power steering stuff, headers, etc., etc.
Old 12-11-2001, 12:12 AM
fugale
Advanced

andre77, you will not regret buying the ZZ4... When I installed my ZZ4, the flexplate that came with the ZZ4 was a different size than the one in the '73. It would be wise to check the fit to the torque converter before mating the engine to trans. Assumming you have an auto trans... If you are using the old cast iron manifolds, you may have to buy new donuts for the exhaust. After removing the engine, you may also notice that the engine mounts are shot... The ZZ4 doesn't come with an oil filter adapter.. I'm not sure, but you may be able to use the old one. Whether you use the original or new HEI dist. you'll probably want to install a new set of spark plug wires... The engine does come with new plugs.. Something to think about, while the engine is out, have the radiator checked out, at the very least flush it out and maybe install new upper and lower hoses... especially the lower, since its a pain to remove and reinstall.. Don't let this discourage you from your selection, it is really an easy job... I did the swap basically by myself except for removing and installing the hood, removing and installing the engine.. What else is there? If you do the job, you'll find out... lots of little things... but its fun.. Have fun doing the swap and you'll be amazed by the extra power...
Old 12-11-2001, 01:06 AM
Paul 73 Coupe
Racer

I went with the Dynomax ceramic coated headers. For $200 they sure are worth it. Great motor...After 500 miles the fun shall begin.

Get notified of new replies

To Ordering a ZZ4 tomorrow: What other parts do I need with it?

Quick Reply: Ordering a ZZ4 tomorrow: What other parts do I need with it?